Casting to TV.

Just checked now and I can cast IPlayer from an Android tablet to an older TV via a Chrome Cast stick thingy thing. There was no option to cast on the recent Warrington-Cats match for me. I'd always assumed casting from tablet to TV was a hardware issue, if it's possible then it can be done. 

Yet currently I can cast Dr Who from IPlayer but not the match from IPlayer which suggests the BBC have the option to withhold this option.??? Or am I missing something else? Anyone? Good match BTW. 

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

10 minutes ago, corvusxiii said:

Just checked now and I can cast IPlayer from an Android tablet to an older TV via a Chrome Cast stick thingy thing. There was no option to cast on the recent Warrington-Cats match for me. I'd always assumed casting from tablet to TV was a hardware issue, if it's possible then it can be done. 

Yet currently I can cast Dr Who from IPlayer but not the match from IPlayer which suggests the BBC have the option to withhold this option.??? Or am I missing something else? Anyone? Good match BTW. 

Dunno - but, personally, I'm more likely to watch streamed stuff on a laptop than a proper TV.  Just seems easier to control the feed.

• Like 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

21 minutes ago, bratman said:

I would just get a cheap streaming stick, can get a used one for £15 (Fire, Roku, Google etc)

I'm on ChromeCast now and I can cast from iplayer. 

But: I couldn't find the match on Red Button. 

Couldn't find it on iplayer.

Found a link on BBC Sports RL page which wouldn't cast.

Is this everyone else's experience? Is this normal?

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

5 minutes ago, corvusxiii said:

Sorry I don't know, I was watching on Sky 🙂

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, corvusxiii said:

If your TV is sufficiently connected to accept casts, then surely it must be capable of running the iPlayer app itself.

I posted on the match thread that yesterday morning, I couldn't cast WatchNRL from my Android phone to my Chromecast, but a full restart of both sorted the problem. And by full restart, I mean pulling the power cord from the Chromecast, waiting for half a minute or more, then plugging back in. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

59 minutes ago, bratman said:

Sorry I don't know, I was watching on Sky 🙂

Jiminy jillikers Bratman. 

• Thanks 1

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

41 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

If your TV is sufficiently connected to accept casts, then surely it must be capable of running the iPlayer app itself.

I posted on the match thread that yesterday morning, I couldn't cast WatchNRL from my Android phone to my Chromecast, but a full restart of both sorted the problem. And by full restart, I mean pulling the power cord from the Chromecast, waiting for half a minute or more, then plugging back in. 

Now here's the thing. It's an old flat screen tv with it's own proprietary usb stick which is hugely slow and clunky. Consequently the tv allows me to cast iplayer/youtube etc via Chromecast but can't operate those Apps natively. Bah.

So what I might be asking(I think) is: what's the difference between a match on BBC iplayer which will cast(I checked right after the match finished) and a link to a match on the BBC Sports RL page?

I think. 

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

34 minutes ago, corvusxiii said:

Now here's the thing. It's an old flat screen tv with it's own proprietary usb stick which is hugely slow and clunky. Consequently the tv allows me to cast iplayer/youtube etc via Chromecast but can't operate those Apps natively. Bah.

So what I might be asking(I think) is: what's the difference between a match on BBC iplayer which will cast(I checked right after the match finished) and a link to a match on the BBC Sports RL page?

I think. 

Okay, what USB stick is it and which browser are you using to see the video you're trying to cast?

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Okay, what USB stick is it and which browser are you using to see the video you're trying toi cast?

ChromeCast usb. Errr....Chrome....er....  Google....?

What's concerning me is difference between BBC iplayer and a BBC website link. And yet ...

Should have tested the upstairs TV which has it's own problems but runs off it's own internal Wifi connector. Might have shed some light on what's happening. 

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

7 minutes ago, corvusxiii said:

ChromeCast usb. Errr....Chrome....er....  Google....?

What's concerning me is difference between BBC iplayer and a BBC website link. And yet ...

Should have tested the upstairs TV which has it's own problems but runs off it's own internal Wifi connector. Might have shed some light on what's happening. 

Okay, was the stream not available on iPlayer?

Secondly, not using Chrome myself, the options are shown differently in different browsers. Is there an option to select file>cast or window>cast from the main menu or wherever you can pick the option for a new tab or window?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

The only link I found was on the BBC Sports RL site. Does anyone have a different story?

I assumed that if my browser casts for BBC iplayer then it would for a link in a BBC website. So no, I never went further than looking for the cast option/icon on the screen.

A helpful input might be whether anyone could or everone could not cast from the BBC Sports RL link for the match. That would be interesting. Whether anyone is interested though......😏

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

11 minutes ago, corvusxiii said:

The only link I found was on the BBC Sports RL site. Does anyone have a different story?

I assumed that if my browser casts for BBC iplayer then it would for a link in a BBC website. So no, I never went further than looking for the cast option/icon on the screen.

A helpful input might be whether anyone could or everone could not cast from the BBC Sports RL link for the match. That would be interesting. Whether anyone is interested though......😏

The live stream isn't on the BBC Sport website any more, so an exact test can't be carried out. However, I just cast the match highlights to my Chromecast from the BBC Rugby League page without any problems, because it's just casting a webpage. Can you cast a webpage from your browser to Chromecast?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

10 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

The live stream isn't on the BBC Sport website any more, so an exact test can't be carried out. However, I just cast the match highlights to my Chromecast from the BBC Rugby League page without any problems, because it's just casting a webpage. Can you cast a webpage from your browser to Chromecast?

But that's where I found the link to the match. 'Watch Warrington v Cats'. Its the only link I found for the match. Nothing anywhere else! 

Ok, will experiment with highlights when I get back. Trapped in a real Ale pub in Cas and the Force is Strong! An interesting point though. Will report back. In due course.....

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

4 minutes ago, corvusxiii said:

But that's where I found the link to the match. 'Watch Warrington v Cats'. Its the only link I found for the match. Nothing anywhere else! 

Ok, will experiment with highlights when I get back. Trapped in a real Ale pub in Cas and the Force is Strong! An interesting point though. Will report back. In due course.....

If you can get a webpage, any webpage, to cast to your Chromecast, then you're good to go.

I'd advise a full restart of everything before you come to conclusions, and that means unplugging the Chromecast for about a minute before plugging it back in. A software restart from the settings menu doesn't always close everything down fully.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

27 minutes ago, corvusxiii said:

I had a similar issue.  I was using the BBC sports app on my phone (as opposed to the BBC sports web pages) but when the live match feed was on there wasn't a button at the top right of the video to start the cast.  And I launched it a couple of times just to make sure.

There was a cast button on the top bar of the app that was visible if I hadn't selected the full screen video option.  When I selected that, the phone/app did connect to the Chromecast, but just displayed the message "waiting for media stream".

Without doing a POR of either phone or Chromecast, I ran the Now TV app instead and was able to cast the match stream from that.

Don't think it was a hardware issue.

• Like 1

I can't cast the Highlights on the BBC Sports RL website to any TV but I can cast the match from IPlayer to any TV. In other words..... as far as my tablet is concerned, a link from the BBC Website isn't the same as an iplayer programme. 

So no, if its a link I'm struggling. If it's live or recorded on iplayer, or on RedButton I can cast. I'd just assumed these were the same things. Every day's a school day. 

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

53 minutes ago, ivans82 said:

Unfortunately i am very old and don`t understand anything posted on this thread .

You what the what now? :kolobok_unsure:

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, ivans82 said:

Unfortunately i am very old and don`t understand anything posted on this thread .

I too am old but can reach out with my walking stick in an attempt to ascertain the nature of what lies before me.

Often I am still clueless!

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

3 hours ago, ivans82 said:

I'm also old, the only use of the word casting I know other than in connection with actors is in fishing.

Press and hold the button on the back of the reel to disengage the spooled line. Raise your casting arm until your hand is in front of your face, then sweep the rod forward quickly. Release the button as the rod reaches your eye level to propel your lure towards the water.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1