Sat 13th-Sun 14th Apr: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

4 hours ago, doc said:

Fantastic second half from Widnes, in front of 2558. Jack Owens having an excellent game.

Think next week, v Fev, might be more testing.  

Should be a good game next week.

• Like 1

As I feared, at York, not the most exciting afternoon I've had watching rugby league (bought my ticket, a once or twice a season thing at the LNER, before realising Knights had so many absentees). Two very one-sided games, with little to engage the neutral. Decent conversation - the non-stop loud music notwithstanding - with the people sitting around me, though. Did the crowd look about 3,000? No idea why York can't announce/publicise their attendances, in the way stadium-sharers York City FC do. 

Edited by Hopping Mad

7 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

Two very one-sided games, with little to engage the neutral. 

Did York win on aggregate across the two legs?

3 minutes ago, JonM said:

Did York win on aggregate across the two legs?

I made the women's game 70-0. Reported in some places, including BBC Sport online, as 74-0 (although York Valkyrie's twitter later amended to 70-0). Either way, a comfortable win for City of York over Wakefield Metropolitan District!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

I didn't go today but we appear threadbare. Couldn't name a 21 man squad and 3 players named in the 20 man squad we already knew were not playing. Said at the start of the season that with a full team we would make the playoffs but that pointless game against Hammersmith where we lost 3 of our best players for the season wrecked the season before it started and it seems our new board either don't have the resources or are totally oblivious to the fact we look a bit of a shambles. Been in the relegation mix I don't think is out of the question.

That is true.

Does seem the new board aren't willing to fund any new signings

I also think the Widdop signing was a mistake funds could of gone where its more needed or saved for when injuries occurred.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

I didn't go today but we appear threadbare. Couldn't name a 21 man squad and 3 players named in the 20 man squad we already knew were not playing. Said at the start of the season that with a full team we would make the playoffs but that pointless game against Hammersmith where we lost 3 of our best players for the season wrecked the season before it started and it seems our new board either don't have the resources or are totally oblivious to the fact we look a bit of a shambles. Been in the relegation mix I don't think is out of the question.

That is true.

I also think the Widdop signing was a mistake funds could of gone where its more needed or saved for when injuries occurred.

1 hour ago, Hopping Mad said:

As I feared, at York, not the most exciting afternoon I've had watching rugby league (bought my ticket, a once or twice a season thing at the LNER, before realising Knights had so many absentees). Two very one-sided games, with little to engage the neutral. Decent conversation - the non-stop loud music notwithstanding - with the people sitting around me, though. Did the crowd look about 3,000? No idea why York can't announce/publicise their attendances, in the way stadium-sharers York City FC do. 

The music during the game was absolute turn off for me. As a Train fan I felt it was a good turn out by our fans

1 hour ago, Bulls2487 said:

That is true.

Totally agreee regards Widdop and said the same many times on our fans forum when it became clear it was going to happen. It is a "nice" signing but we needed a centre and at least a couple of props and although I don't believe Widdop is on a fortune, I would imagine that money would have brought in those players. 

4 hours ago, Forever Trinity said:

The music during the game was absolute turn off for me. As a Train fan I felt it was a good turn out by our fans

Trains at the LNER - what could be more appropriate?

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"