Rugby League in France

5900 licences in the full region of occitanie, it says that's 78% of all licences in France so really around 7000 licences in the whole of France, but licences doesn't mean players, it includes coaches, presidents, fitness coaches, kids and kids coaches, 

We're even put down as a comparison to other regional sports like bull running and tambourine tennis! 

It's amazing how the French manage to get so many good players,  considering playing numbers, especially being competitive up to u19s against the English, 

FB_IMG_1713341587117.jpg

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, barnyia said:

5900 licences in the full region of occitanie, it says that's 78% of all licences in France so really around 7000 licences in the whole of France, but licences doesn't mean players, it includes coaches, presidents, fitness coaches, kids and kids coaches, 

We're even put down as a comparison to other regional sports like bull running and tambourine tennis! 

It's amazing how the French manage to get so many good players,  considering playing numbers, especially being competitive up to u19s against the English, 

FB_IMG_1713341587117.jpg

I assume almost all of the remaining 22% will be in the neighbouring regions of Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur and Nouvelle-Aquitaine?

13 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

As I have been saying for ages the French produce the biggest % of good players at a reasonable level than anyone in terms of numbers.

It's not really the case though and is a really vague measure. They produce players like any place that play RL does, mostly very average ones.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

As I have been saying for ages the French produce the biggest % of good players at a reasonable level than anyone in terms of numbers.

Widnes (population circa 60k) probably has a better percentage per population. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

With around 4 to 5000 actual players in all of France,  including all players male and female from 5 years old to adults, shows the coaching is not too bad! 

Edited by barnyia
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

So, what they really need to do, is get it down to 2 registered players, 1 of whom is decent.

• Haha 4

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

The last official figure from the french sports ministry in 2022 is 10,178 licenciés, including 5,941 from the Occitania region. Slighty down from pre-covid years.

Offically reported figures have been all over the place for decades now, so it's complicated to judge how it's going on.

In the early 90's, the federation was reporting more than 30,000 membres. Was it all BS ? I don't know.

Edited by Gambass
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, langpark said:

1 million people actively involved in sport, in a region with a 6 million population does seem disproportionately high to me. 

If they include running and jogging then you'll easily get to that. In England, that comes in at 16% of the population (Active Lives Survey) so close to 1 in 6.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

32 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

If they include running and jogging then you'll easily get to that. In England, that comes in at 16% of the population (Active Lives Survey) so close to 1 in 6.

Ok, but would the runners and joggers need to get a "license"?

2 minutes ago, langpark said:

If they have to register with a club or just fill in something to say they are running?

It doesn't seem particularly challenging to get to 1 in 6 of a population doing some kind of sport.

The bigger deal, for us, within that, is how tiny rugby league is.

Yes it's worrying, when you see the Catalans have 40 players in the u19s, Lézignan played with 13 players this weekend, limoux 14 players, Villeneuve, Carcassonne, Albi and pia have all played at least one game with just 13 players on the team sheet (u19s) st Gaudens 19s  play 9s and Avignon 19s forfeited 2 games this season,

Toulouse elite team turned up with 16 players as they dropped their u19s first teamers down to the juniors, 

Worrying times, I know the numbers in u17s is slightly higher than last year, the federation used to let 3 u20 players on the team sheet of the u19s but that's been stopped this year, 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, langpark said:

All sports in France need to have insurance after a check by the Doctor.  It’s pretty much a money spinner, well it was for me playing golf.  The Doctor asked me if I was fit and well. ‘Yes’.  ‘Ok, sign here.  That’ll be €43.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Catalans Dragons 

Super League  30 players

Elite  28 players

Juniors U19  28

Women 15   (Seven playing for France)

Wheelchair 10 (European Champions 2O24)

*1OO in total

York

Championship

Squads

Knights  32

Valkyriee Womens 26     (didn't know the name from Nordic history)

U19s 25

Total for women  50

Edited by audois

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

3 minutes ago, audois said:

Catalans Dragons 

Super League  30 players

Elite  28 players

Juniors U19  28

Women 15   (Seven playing for France)

Wheelchair 10 (European Champions 2O24)

*1OO in total

York

Championship

Squads

Knights  32

Valkyriee Womens 26     (didn't know the name from Nordic history)

U19s 25

Total for women  50

I'm not sure of the reason you have done this comparison, please could you explain?

If you are comparing Catalans to a British club, wouldn't it make more sense to be another of the top SL clubs who run reserves (akin to Catalans' Elite 1 team) and an academy?

York, I believe, have also begun running a wheelchair team recently.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Barley Mow said:

I'm not sure of the reason you have done this comparison, please could you explain?

If you are comparing Catalans to a British club, wouldn't it make more sense to be another of the top SL clubs who run reserves (akin to Catalans' Elite 1 team) and an academy?

York, I believe, have also begun running a wheelchair team recently.

The two clubs very different & maybe more different than the rest 

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg