Has England or France ever had a tiered representative structure ending in national team selection?

In Australia for many years it was a case of regional or district representation, then possibly City v Country, then the interstate series then national selection. 

So for instance;

- Toowoomba 》Country or South Queensland 》Queensland 》 Australia 

Or 

- South Sydney》 City 》 NSW 》 Australia

Know there has been county clashes in the past in England but were they seen as a genuine stepping stone to national selection ?

Plus were they a 2-4 game series like NSW v Qld has been in yesteryear or one - off games ? 

The Rugby League Fan's Mantra for helping the game grow internationally is ten two-letter words - IF IT IS TO BE, IT IS UP TO ME.

County games and trial games, such as Whites v Stripes and Probables v Possibles were as much a tiered system as City v Country and NSW v Queensland.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

2 hours ago, The Partisan said:

In Australia for many years it was a case of regional or district representation, then possibly City v Country, then the interstate series then national selection. 

So for instance;

Or 

Know there has been county clashes in the past in England but were they seen as a genuine stepping stone to national selection ?

Plus were they a 2-4 game series like NSW v Qld has been in yesteryear or one - off games ? 

Something like this?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/County_Championship_(rugby_league)

Maybe we could bring it back to improve England's chances 😛

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Hopie said:

Something like this?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/County_Championship_(rugby_league)

Maybe we could bring it back to improve England's chances 😛

It would/should have been an easy way to gauge potential international representatives but was never part of an official process, I don’t think? Similarly at amateur level with BARLA.  Seems such an obvious way doesn’t it?

23 hours ago, The Partisan said:

So for instance;

Or 

Is anyone really watching SOO wondering which players will get selected for the Kangaroos?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sam4731 said:

Is anyone really watching SOO wondering which players will get selected for the Kangaroos?

Probably not - but I'm referring more to the past in my original post.   Qld v NSW would have been a genuine trial when not seeing players perform on a weekly basis.  

• Like 1

The Rugby League Fan's Mantra for helping the game grow internationally is ten two-letter words - IF IT IS TO BE, IT IS UP TO ME.

1 hour ago, sam4731 said:

That says more about the poor state of our international game than anything else.

One of the original ideas behind Origin becoming a regular event was as a Test trial. Shame it’s light years ahead of internationals these days and likely always will be. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 26/05/2024 at 13:08, Lowdesert said:

It would/should have been an easy way to gauge potential international representatives but was never part of an official process, I don’t think? Similarly at amateur level with BARLA.  Seems such an obvious way doesn’t it?

Is Origin part of an official Australian national team selection process?

I think not.

Edited by Griff

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"