Rugby League activity now in Bulgaria.

Bulgaria joins the Rugby League family. Sofia playing visitors from Serbia ,Radnicki Nis

Last saturday saw Serbia side Radnicki Nis play a team from Sofia at Rugby League. Half time the visitors lead 32:0. As the game progressed the Bulgarians got better and better. At one point the score was 32:16. But the 80 minutes proved too long for the home side and they ran out of steam in the final stages.

The game finished 44:16.

14322435_617944615033467_377631794099432

Eastern Europe could find itself with a fair few neighbourly rivalries at international level.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Eastern Europe.Southern Europe and Middle East seem to be the places to get things going without interference by you know who.And at a lesser cost.Romania would be nice ,but believe obstacles would be put in the way.

Rugby league :If it was art, it would be a Monet.

Eastern Europe.Southern Europe and Middle East seem to be the places to get things going without interference by you know who.And at a lesser cost.Romania would be nice ,but believe obstacles would be put in the way.

I believe your partly right we have issues in the Middle East where union has it claws.  But Southern Europe, Central Europe and Eastern Europe are ripe for development.

The culture of the area fits with Rugby League, areas with a link to Britains Imperial past not so well as union tends to have a strong influence.

The Bulgarian team Lokomotiv Sofia are playing in a Hull KR kit.

14359013_10154386249528820_8115176947878

Looking good.

All we have to do now is get France up to speed.

By the way who is the Lady in displayed in your Avatar?

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

• 2 weeks later...

Second Bulgaria v Serbia game: Red Star 72 - 10 Lokomotiva sofia 

A friendly international match took place between Red Star and Lokomotiv Sofia. The Red and white were without the five players who were with the national team of Serbia in Valencia, but too strong for the team from Sofia, who are just learning the first steps of rugby league. Therefore, guests were reinforced with seven players in New Belgrade, but that they did not help much, because the red and white this season do not know mercy. Red Star won convincingly with 72-10 (30-6). Despite the convincing defeat this visit was more than helpful for Sofia, because at times provide excellent resistance.

DSC3980-crop.jpg

No disrespect to the hard work being done by many of the other nations attempting to establish Rugby League competitions throughout Europe, however as a sport with very limited Development funds and resources, maybe we should be considering prioritising Eastern Europe over other markets.

Culturally our sport seems to be a good fit for the market, both from a supporter and player recruitment perspective to begin with. We also seem to be able to attract positive media coverage in this market without too much difficulty either.

Throw in the fact that we already have a solid footprint in the market in the shape of Serbia, Ukraine and the Czech Republic (with a scattering of other outposts), the lower cost of living in this market versus western Europe (meaning we can stretch our limited dollars further) and the fact that the other 'Rugby' is too focused on other markets, there is a real opportunity for us.

For the long term success of our sport we need to find new markets to conquer. We don't have the resources or size to compete in places like the US or China and never will if we don't grow the game overall.

Who knows maybe if we're lucky, the region might support a Pro RL competition in the future, again another thing the code needs.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

No disrespect to the hard work being done by many of the other nations attempting to establish Rugby League competitions throughout Europe, however as a sport with very limited Development funds and resources, maybe we should be considering prioritising Eastern Europe over other markets.

Culturally our sport seems to be a good fit for the market, both from a supporter and player recruitment perspective to begin with. We also seem to be able to attract positive media coverage in this market without too much difficulty either.

Throw in the fact that we already have a solid footprint in the market in the shape of Serbia, Ukraine and the Czech Republic (with a scattering of other outposts), the lower cost of living in this market versus western Europe (meaning we can stretch our limited dollars further) and the fact that the other 'Rugby' is too focused on other markets, there is a real opportunity for us.

For the long term success of our sport we need to find new markets to conquer. We don't have the resources or size to compete in places like the US or China and never will if we don't grow the game overall.

Who knows maybe if we're lucky, the region might support a Pro RL competition in the future, again another thing the code needs.

The best thing we can do is make plan thats are inclusive of europe.  We can't develop an area in isolation.

The them and us attitude has to go by 'our game' that no longer means the M62.

People across the world are just as engaged and passionate about our sport.

What we need is to give these regions more say and help them with moral support.

By that I mean ensure they are listened to and get publicity. 

Bring one nation in and a second will follow. Trust me rugby league will spread like a virus.

Get rid of some the pointless beaucracy surrounding international development coming from people at the top. 

We also need competitions for these nations to play in, we have to think beyond the World Cup and introduce competitions 

at an amateur level.  Basketball is a good model to follow.

That includes seriously pushing 9s, we have not got 9s yet as a sport mainly down to politics. 

Unfortunately other sports have got small format events like union and cricket.

They have got the jump on us, which is bad for RL's profile and development.

However, we can learn from what they did right (and wrong) and apply that, where relevant, to growing the Nines concept. So there might be some sort of silver lining.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Good to hear. I have an Uncle there.

Edit in case Wombles joke goes over heads. :)

Yes I remember, remember, remember, remember.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

The best thing we can do is make plan thats are inclusive of europe. We can't develop an area in isolation.

The them and us attitude has to go by 'our game' that no longer means the M62.

People across the world are just as engaged and passionate about our sport.

What we need is to give these regions more say and help them with moral support.

By that I mean ensure they are listened to and get publicity.

Bring one nation in and a second will follow. Trust me rugby league will spread like a virus.

Get rid of some the pointless beaucracy surrounding international development coming from people at the top.

We also need competitions for these nations to play in, we have to think beyond the World Cup and introduce competitions

at an amateur level. Basketball is a good model to follow.

That includes seriously pushing 9s, we have not got 9s yet as a sport mainly down to politics.

An idea would be to play 9s competitions at the end of the season for these developing European teams. When the more established nations are competing in WCs, Continental cups, Tours etc these nation's could be playing 9s.

Crickey!! The way things are going, rl is going to become a global sport and only played at a handful of northern clubs. Lol

Important to understand the International game is an amateur sport and still in its infancy, is more an extension of our amateur game rather than a parallel professional sports league.

But its all very positive.  

Archived