Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Bradford Bulls take a long hard look after tonight

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Tommy The C5t

Tommy The C5t
  • Coach
  • 13,479 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:10 PM

Where do I start before my battery dies on me?

Well for one it's not just about what I've seen tonight which I can categorically say has been the worst Bradford Bulls performance since that first game back in March 1996 when we beat Castleford by 30-12 in front of over 10,000 supporters at Odsal.

The truth is and however painful it may be, is that this club is dying a slow death. Forget about Mick Potter and what the new coach will offer, the facts are that we have now had two seasons with no play-off finish.
This surely for a club the size of Bradford has to be at the bare minimum requirement with the player personal on board.

The crowds will be down again next season as people who have been following the club since the 50's, 60's and 70's turn their back on the club, meaning even less money coming into the club, to spend on players.

The players are badly underperforming, showing no effort or determination whatsoever, they don't look interested when out on the field.

We have now failed to win in nine weeks, I can't remember Northern going through such a bad patch. I'm actually ashamed to be wearing the the famous red, amber & black right now, such was the embarrassment that I've just seen.

Tonight is the night when my last ounce of confidence in Steve McNamara has gone and he should now do the right thing and just walk away and concentrate on getting England ready for the Four Nations, letting Paul Medley take over for the rest of the season, which can't come soon enough.

#2 Northern Exposure

Northern Exposure
  • Coach
  • 8,506 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:22 PM

Boring.

Next.
Posted Image

#3 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,996 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:26 PM

QUOTE (Northern Exposure @ Jul 9 2010, 10:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Boring.
Next.

Were you also at The Stoop?!

That sounds very much like our performances!

Salford up next. Christ.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#4 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,897 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:28 PM

QUOTE (Tommy The C5t @ Jul 9 2010, 10:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The truth is and however painful it may be, is that this club is dying a slow death.

The crowds will be down again next season as people who have been following the club since the 50's, 60's and 70's turn their back on the club, meaning even less money coming into the club, to spend on players.

The players are badly underperforming, showing no effort or determination whatsoever, they don't look interested when out on the field.

I have had a look at the table and you stand a point off the play off places.

I recall Wigan being second bottom well into the season a couple of years back.

No moans, no groans, and big crowds turning up to back the side, and back the side they did.

Losing a match, or 3 matches or 23 matches is not proof that players are not interested.

I suggest you and your fellow supporters back the club and team, and respect the opposition or we are looking at 1964 all over again.

And that will be the fans fault not the club's.

#5 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,996 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:28 PM

Oh and welcome to this week's Loser's Lounge Kris.

I have my own spot at the bar now.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#6 Northern Exposure

Northern Exposure
  • Coach
  • 8,506 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:32 PM

Yeah, but look, we were dire tonight and lost to a great KR performance.

However, i'm not starting a thread around being morose about it.

It happens, its the game, nothing to see here.
Posted Image

#7 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,996 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:36 PM

QUOTE (Northern Exposure @ Jul 9 2010, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Aye.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#8 skep155

skep155
  • Coach
  • 784 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:41 PM

If the club dies as a result of two successive seasons where we don't make the play-offs then quite frankly the club deserves to die, because it would only show that we were reliant on glory supporters who didn't care about the club but only how many trophy's were won.

Edited by skep155, 09 July 2010 - 09:42 PM.

#9 snapski

snapski
  • Coach
  • 922 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:46 PM

parksider it was ok for wigan, finish bottom or break salary cap , easy

#10 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,897 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:59 PM

QUOTE (skep155 @ Jul 9 2010, 10:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If the club dies as a result of two successive seasons where we don't make the play-offs then quite frankly the club deserves to die, because it would only show that we were reliant on glory supporters who didn't care about the club but only how many trophy's were won.

Sory Snapski, this is the one "on the button"

#11 Wollo Wollo Wayoo

Wollo Wollo Wayoo
  • Coach
  • 514 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 10:31 PM

I can't remember Northern going through such a bad patch. I'm actually ashamed to be wearing the the famous red, amber & black right now, such was the embarrassment that I've just seen.

Get across and watch Wakefield. It will be just the same but with a different colour shirt on. biggrin.gif

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys" 2013 & 2014

#12 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 10:57 PM

We have now failed to win in nine weeks, I can't remember Northern going through such a bad patch.

Oh I can. More than once!

Between my first full season of watching them in 1982 up to the birth of the Bulls brand in 1995, Northern had some really barren years that make the past couple of seasons look like a picnic.

Lowlights include getting stuffed at Odsal by Hull in front of a crowd of less than 2,000 during the Barry Seabourne coaching era. Almost managing to lose a Cup tie against Highfield under the dreadful tenure of Aussie coach Ron Willey. The cries of 'Willey Out!' during the game being the only thing that lightened the mood that day. And best (worst) of all, the debut of our 80k RU signing Terry Holmes away at Swinton. He got injured in the first ten minutes and missed the rest of the season, we lost the game 8-0 and went bottom of the league.

But you know what? It wasn't the end of the world.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#13 Bulletproof

Bulletproof
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 01:28 AM

QUOTE (Northern Exposure @ Jul 9 2010, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do sympathise a little though because it is undeniable that Bradford, once one of the fabled "big four" are now in a steady and sad decline and it doesn't look like halting any time soon.

I remember Leeds getting beat every time we played them during our first super league season but they were never looking like a club facing losing their spot as a big club. Wigan have gone through years where they were terrible but there was never a sense that they were standing on the edge of a cliff, it was just on the field difficulties. Bradford are getting weaker by the season. I can understand their fans being despondent.

#14 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 03:48 AM

QUOTE (John Drake @ Jul 9 2010, 11:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Between my first full season of watching them in 1982 up to the birth of the Bulls brand in 1995, Northern had some really barren years that make the past couple of seasons look like a picnic.

Lowlights include getting stuffed at Odsal by Hull in front of a crowd of less than 2,000 during the Barry Seabourne coaching era. Almost managing to lose a Cup tie against Highfield under the dreadful tenure of Aussie coach Ron Willey. The cries of 'Willey Out!' during the game being the only thing that lightened the mood that day. And best (worst) of all, the debut of our 80k RU signing Terry Holmes away at Swinton. He got injured in the first ten minutes and missed the rest of the season, we lost the game 8-0 and went bottom of the league.

Yeah there have been worse times than the current ones but what worries me is that we are heading towards another era like that - and there doesn't seem to be a way out of it. Falling crowds, poor ground, terrible coaching...the list seems to tick all the wrong boxes. I personally think that by hanging on to McNamara until now, too much damage has been done. I don't know how much it would have cost to pay off Steve Mac but it surely would have been recouped by better crowds and a run in the play offs that we now won't get or even deserve to get.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#15 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,957 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 07:15 AM

QUOTE (Bulletproof @ Jul 10 2010, 04:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I do sympathise a little though because it is undeniable that Bradford, once one of the fabled "big four" are now in a steady and sad decline and it doesn't look like halting any time soon.

What? The turn round starts next week. You've got us, FFS! How easy do you want it? wink.gif

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#16 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,957 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 07:17 AM

QUOTE (Johnoco @ Jul 10 2010, 06:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah there have been worse times than the current ones but what worries me is that we are heading towards another era like that - and there doesn't seem to be a way out of it. Falling crowds, poor ground, terrible coaching...the list seems to tick all the wrong boxes. I personally think that by hanging on to McNamara until now, too much damage has been done. I don't know how much it would have cost to pay off Steve Mac but it surely would have been recouped by better crowds and a run in the play offs that we now won't get or even deserve to get.

That's the new England coach you're talking about! God help us all! biggrin.gif

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#17 The Best The Beautiful The Only

The Best The Beautiful The Only
  • Coach
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 08:59 AM

MAACA OUT.

#18 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 09:21 AM

That's the worst losing run since before the Rothman' Yearbooks started with season 80/81, there's been a few six match losing streaks but nothing as bad as this. Incidentally, going through them I found two sub 2000 gates in successive games in March 1987 against the two Hull sides.

#19 Tommy The C5t

Tommy The C5t
  • Coach
  • 13,479 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 09:52 AM

QUOTE (John Drake @ Jul 9 2010, 11:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know John but as I've posted on another forum

Well something needs to happen and fast, because after last night two friends of my dad who have been watching Rugby league at Odsal since the 50's said that they won't be back again this season and this just isn't an isolated incident.

The club can't afford to lose these people who are potentially the biggest spenders at the club, as they go to all home and away games.

You only have to look on the popular side at home games to see that the regular faces no longer come.

I'm sorry for coming across being all despondent, but this is how I'm feeling and I'm one of the supporters that will travel anywhere to watch the club and I'm really get fed up at the minute with the product we see out on the field.

I'm sure that I'll come around on Monday looking forward to the Salford game, but what a awy to start the weekend.

#20 Tommy The C5t

Tommy The C5t
  • Coach
  • 13,479 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 09:53 AM

QUOTE (Chronicler of Chiswick @ Jul 10 2010, 10:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's the worst losing run since before the Rothman' Yearbooks started with season 80/81, there's been a few six match losing streaks but nothing as bad as this. Incidentally, going through them I found two sub 2000 gates in successive games in March 1987 against the two Hull sides.

That's what my dad said to me on the phone last night, this is the worse run of results since the early 60's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users