Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Halton Stadium in super league 2011

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#1 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,434 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 03:37 PM

Saints announce Widnes move

Link:- http://www.superleag...le.php?id=18426

Poor old Saints fans.

Will Widnes lose fans to Super League?????

#2 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,934 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 03:45 PM

This all sounds a bit different to previous messages put out by Saints.

"Remedial and Construction work will start shortly", I thought work had already started.

They seem to be saying that all of their games next season will be at Widnes, I thought it was only supposed to be the first few games.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#3 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,808 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 03:48 PM

I read something the other day (can't remember where) that they were trying to negotiate the use of Goodison Park for their home games against Wigan and Warrington next season.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#4 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,434 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 03:49 PM

QUOTE (Padge @ Jul 18 2010, 04:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This all sounds a bit different to previous messages put out by Saints.

"Remedial and Construction work will start shortly", I thought work had already started.

They seem to be saying that all of their games next season will be at Widnes, I thought it was only supposed to be the first few games.

I was told last week it will be all the games.....not in the spirit of SL for me.

#5 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,834 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 04:17 PM

It pains me to jump to the defence of Saints but finances are tight for everyone, major construction projects like new grounds are of course going to proceed tentatively. A good bit of income for Widnes that would otherwise have been dead money keeping Knowlsey Road going.

Obviously nervous times for all until stands start going up and I wish them and all the other clubs embarking on major projects all the best.

#6 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,434 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 04:34 PM

QUOTE (shrek @ Jul 18 2010, 05:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It pains me to jump to the defence of Saints but finances are tight for everyone, major construction projects like new grounds are of course going to proceed tentatively. A good bit of income for Widnes that would otherwise have been dead money keeping Knowlsey Road going.

Obviously nervous times for all until stands start going up and I wish them and all the other clubs embarking on major projects all the best.

If Salford can manage it why can't Saints???????

i will never ever feel sorry for Saints, they have had years of success and they should have had this all sorted out.

the willows is a bigger hole than KR

#7 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 04:59 PM

QUOTE (1976PMJwires @ Jul 18 2010, 11:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i will never ever feel sorry for Saints, they have had years of success and they should have had this all sorted out.

Exactly, they have had the time & the money, take away their licence tongue.gif

#8 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,434 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:02 PM

QUOTE (mick wilson @ Jul 18 2010, 05:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Exactly, they have had the time & the money, take away their licence tongue.gif

100% agree.

Plus, What message does this give Widnes for 2012????

100% certain to be part of the SL 2012-2014.

#9 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,585 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:12 PM

QUOTE (1976PMJwires @ Jul 18 2010, 05:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's not always that simple though, is it?

I don't see what the problem is. They're getting a new ground. In the meantime, they're going to be playing in a premier-class stadium. Does it matter if it isn't theirs? It's one less hole in SL. Maybe Salford, Wakefield and Castleford should be looking at doing something similar?
Posted Image

#10 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,434 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:19 PM

QUOTE (Wellsy4HullFC @ Jul 18 2010, 06:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's not always that simple though, is it?

I don't see what the problem is. They're getting a new ground. In the meantime, they're going to be playing in a premier-class stadium. Does it matter if it isn't theirs? It's one less hole in SL. Maybe Salford, Wakefield and Castleford should be looking at doing something similar?

No its not always as simple, but they have been planning for years, they have had years of success and should have their house in order.

maybe one less hole to go to, but its a historical hole, going to see Saints play at halton stadium means what??

the super league is about licence and having to meet criterias.

i think its a poor message to Cas, Wakey or (one of the promoted potential teams)

hypothetically speaking, there is nothing stopping Cas or Wakey to do the same for 18 months and play at oakwell or elland rd, why hope there ground is built.

QUESTION for you..... what happens if the funds break down for the Saints build????

#11 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,667 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:27 PM

Why can't they stay at Knowsley Roaad another year, it's what most do.

#12 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,834 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:30 PM

I can't answer that, I've no idea what contracts are in place for The Willows and what Saints have agreed for Knowsley Road, I suspect the answer has a big bearing on your question.

QUOTE (1976PMJwires @ Jul 18 2010, 06:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUESTION for you..... what happens if the funds break down for the Saints build????

It'll be a sad day for Rugby and only the lowest of the low would glean any satisfaction from it.

#13 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,934 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:46 PM

I'm just baffled because I seem to recall Saints saying work had started and it turns out that they have only just appointed the building contractor, they said they would be at Widnes for maximum of 4 months and now its a full season.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#14 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,434 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:48 PM

QUOTE (Padge @ Jul 18 2010, 06:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm just baffled because I seem to recall Saints saying work had started and it turns out that they have only just appointed the building contractor, they said they would be at Widnes for maximum of 4 months and now its a full season.

So am i, all i've been told is the round about is in place and the groundwork is about to take place.

many mixed messages i guess, but one clear one, they need their championship neighbors to bail them out.

so surely this arrangement ensures Widnes in SL from 2012.

#15 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,934 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:07 PM

QUOTE (1976PMJwires @ Jul 18 2010, 06:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So am i, all i've been told is the round about is in place and the groundwork is about to take place.

many mixed messages i guess, but one clear one, they need their championship neighbors to bail them out.

so surely this arrangement ensures Widnes in SL from 2012.

I'm not arsed that they will be playing at Widnes, its been on the cards a long time and anythings better than Knowsley Pig Farm. What I want to know is why did some builder start work on the project without a contract, very benevolant of the building contractor involved.

#16 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,434 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:15 PM

QUOTE (Padge @ Jul 18 2010, 07:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not arsed that they will be playing at Widnes, its been on the cards a long time and anythings better than Knowsley Pig Farm. What I want to know is why did some builder start work on the project without a contract, very benevolant of the building contractor involved.

but its only the roundabout and the ground works..... dry.gif

Guess we'll find more out this week, boots n all will be getting the kleenex out, to help us all understand the issue. wink.gif

#17 Bomb Jack

Bomb Jack
  • Coach
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 08:02 PM

1. It's Stobart Stadium, Halton, NOT Halton Stadium.

2. Why does Saints playing in Widnes all year make us certs for SL ? We have had our " adequate " Stadium for over 10 years, it makes no odds as far as i can see.
Widnes - Super League's newest Club, and Cheshire's Original Glamour Club. Watch out Warrington, we're back !

#18 chrisl1

chrisl1
  • Coach
  • 582 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 08:05 PM

To be fair to Saints what have Salford managed at the present time? They have not yet started construction works although they will apparently do so in October.

http://reds.original...ry/new-stadium/

#19 ShotgunGold

ShotgunGold
  • Coach
  • 858 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:07 PM

Could St Helens not take a few games "on the road"?

They're a pretty well-supported club and one of the few names that is immediately identified with the sport.

Two or three games played around the country (especially in the south), marketed right, could do wonders for the club and pick up a few extra fans.

2011 has created a great opportunity for this to happen so why not!

#20 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • Featherstone Rovers Forum
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:26 PM

give saints licence to widnes,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users