Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

How may grounds have you been to which are of near 21st century standard?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#21 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:12 PM

QUOTE (Lee @ Jul 31 2010, 10:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cos all their stadia bar the big Sydney multi stadia are ###### uncovered hovels

REALLY?
I never realised Brisbane and Melbourne were like that.
They say Suncorp does not measure up to the "Jungle"
laugh.gif

Edited by AndyCapp, 31 July 2010 - 09:13 PM.

#22 Lee

Lee
  • Coach
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:13 PM

QUOTE (terrywebbisgod @ Jul 31 2010, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So what is PS banging on about?

Usual male genitals, dont quote him ffs, only saw your post laugh.gif

A lot of Yorkshiremen believe that when God created the world, he made it with perfect balance.
He balanced the hot areas with the cold areas. the dry areas with the wet areas.
And, in creating Yorkshire, he created the most glorious place on earth - full of majestic beauty and sporting giants.........and for balance he created....... Lancashire.

#23 Lee

Lee
  • Coach
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:15 PM

QUOTE (AndyCapp @ Jul 31 2010, 10:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
REALLY?
I never realised Brisbane and Melbourne were like that.
They say Suncorp does not measure up to the "Jungle"
laugh.gif

I was using Sydney clubs to base it on not the 2 you mentioned, my bad

A lot of Yorkshiremen believe that when God created the world, he made it with perfect balance.
He balanced the hot areas with the cold areas. the dry areas with the wet areas.
And, in creating Yorkshire, he created the most glorious place on earth - full of majestic beauty and sporting giants.........and for balance he created....... Lancashire.

#24 ShotgunGold

ShotgunGold
  • Coach
  • 858 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:20 PM

QUOTE (goldcard @ Jul 31 2010, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So define what your "panoramic" view is?

Forget what he means by 'panoramic', I want the toilet situation cleared up first!

QUOTE (ParisSurtout @ Jul 31 2010, 09:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and which have decent toilet facilities (extensive urinals and sit down closed cubicles for men, and multiple sit down enclosed cubicles for women)?

Is there a limit to how many urinals a toilet must have for it to be of 21st century quality? Must all toilets in the ground have extensive urinals or would a simple single urinal not do for smaller toilets? And what do you mean by multiple? If a club doesn't attract many lady fans must there be multiple sit down enclosed cubicles for women or would one just be enough? Could a ground be regarded as 'Super League' standard if it only possesses one sit down enclosed cubicle? How to Toulouse do when it comes to extensive urinals and multiple cubicles?

#25 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:23 PM

QUOTE (ShotgunGold @ Jul 31 2010, 10:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Forget what he means by 'panoramic', I want the toilet situation cleared up first!

me too!

bragging about French toilets seems a bit rich to me

and burning question IZAL or Andrex and should we deduct points for none available?

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#26 ShotgunGold

ShotgunGold
  • Coach
  • 858 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:29 PM

QUOTE (amh @ Jul 31 2010, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
me too!

bragging about French toilets seems a bit rich to me

and burning question IZAL or Andrex and should we deduct points for none available?

I certainly don't think any club should be given a B licence if Andrex is not readily available.

And once again Castleford and Wakefield come out as favourites for the chop with their bog-standard bog paper!

biggrin.gif

#27 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:08 PM

Panoramic field views are to be had from at least one sideline stand at

1. Suncorp, Brisbane
2. Dairy Famers, Townsville,
3. Skilled, Robina,
4. Energy Australia, Newcastle,
5. Canberra,
6. Blue Tongue, Gosford,
7. Parramatta Stadium,
8. CUA Stadium, Penrith
9. Shark Park, Cronulla
10. Sydney Football Stadium
11. ANZ Stadium, Homebush (Souths, Canterbury, Wests)
12. WIN Stadium, Wollongong.
13. Kogarah Oval, Kogarah.
14. AAMI Stadium Melbourne.

I am not sure about Brookvalle Oval, which is due to be renovated.

So all NRL clubs have a large area for decent panoramic views.

Suncorp, Skillled, Sydney FS, and ANZ have panoramic views for the entire 360 degrees of the stadium.

Edited by ParisSurtout, 01 August 2010 - 04:46 PM.

Le rugby a treize, c'est moi!

_____

#28 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 12:32 AM

QUOTE (ShotgunGold @ Jul 31 2010, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I certainly don't think any club should be given a B licence if Andrex is not readily available.

And once again Castleford and Wakefield come out as favourites for the chop with their bog-standard bog paper! biggrin.gif

No NRL club would dare offer its fans the decrepit stadia known as Belle Vue, The Jungle, The Willows, or Knowsley Road.

The closest things to these were North Sydney Oval and Redfern Oval, which have been abandoned decades ago.

At least St Helens is finally moving into the 21st century, as I hope will Salford Reds --- all just one year behind Les Catalans Dragons.

_____

#29 nath155

nath155
  • Coach
  • 211 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 02:17 AM

Just a bit of a twist on the old "how many grounds have you been to?" topics we've had in the past.

How many grounds in the northern hemisphere have you been to to watch rugby league which have a panoramic view of the playing field from at least one sideline stand, and which have decent toilet facilities (extensive urinals and sit down closed cubicles for men, and multiple sit down enclosed cubicles for women)?

I have been to most of those:

KC in Hull
DW in Wigan
Galpharm in Huddersfield
Gilbert Brutus in Perpignan
Ernest Wallon in Toulouse
Elland Road in Leeds
The Stoop in London
Twickenham in London
Wembley in London
Murrayfield in Edinburgh
Milllenium in Cardiff

how could you miss out bell vue at wakefield we even have 2 bottle bars i mean come on.

#30 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,778 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 03:45 AM

Just a bit of a twist on the old "how many grounds have you been to?" topics we've had in the past.

How many grounds in the northern hemisphere have you been to to watch rugby league which have a panoramic view of the playing field from at least one sideline stand, and which have decent toilet facilities (extensive urinals and sit down closed cubicles for men, and multiple sit down enclosed cubicles for women)?

What a stupid criteria.
Panoramic views?! They're available at every ground in SL you idiot. Tell me one ground that doesn't offer a panoramic view...
Or extensive urinals and multiple sit down enclosed cubicles for that matter...
Posted Image

#31 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,030 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:59 AM

QUOTE (ShotgunGold @ Jul 31 2010, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been to the Rungrado May Day Stadium, and that my friend is what you call a damn stadium!

I'd never heard of it before so I checked it out on Wikipedia, got sidetracked and was surprised to learn that the ten biggest stadia in the USA are for college football teams, rather than for NFL teams.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#32 DAZROVER1985

DAZROVER1985
  • Coach
  • 322 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:20 AM

QUOTE (Wellsy4HullFC @ Aug 1 2010, 04:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What a stupid criteria.
Panoramic views?! They're available at every ground in SL you idiot. Tell me one ground that doesn't offer a panoramic view...

I think you can get panoramic views from pretty much every stadium in the championships from at least one sideline aswell, every one ive been to this season anyway.

#33 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,693 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:43 AM

The fact is that all of these other than Gilbert Brutus are dual use or triple use (football, rugby union, rugby league), with Wembley being multi use and Tickenham being primarily rugby union and Elland Road primarily soccer.

So of all the Super League clubs stadia only Gilbert Brutus is a dedicated rugby league stadium with modern facilities appropriate for the 21st century. It will be joined by the new St Helens stadium in 2012.

How many have a decent restaurant or seated cafes, as well as a large bars?

None for the general fan (DW and Galpharm have modern restaurant facilities for the special elite), Wembley and Twickenham for members, but Gilbert Brutus in 2011 and St Helens in 2012 will have modern restaurant and bars for all premium seated fans.

Alll of this shows how backward rugby league is in looking after their fans' convenience. Bravo only to Les Catalans and St Helens. Shame on the rest.

HJ has good views and nice toilets and is a RL stadium. It doesn't have a cafe (seems yoy make up the criteria to suit) but it does serve food and drink like any other place, and people can pay a reasonable amount to have meal at the ground and get top seats.

It also has an advantage of being built right near town which has plenty of places.

Why did I bother with a serious reply to this post? huh.gif

#34 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,450 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:27 AM

QUOTE (hindle xiii @ Jul 31 2010, 09:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You are MeatLoaf and I claim my 5.

laugh.gif laugh.gif

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#35 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 12:04 PM

QUOTE (terrywebbisgod @ Jul 31 2010, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So why is it when I see the NRL on tv, most of the speccies look like drowned rats during a game, all wearing ponchos?

We've visited Sydney twice, been to 4 NRL matches at different venues and it rained every time. The only one where we wouldn't of got wet was the ANZ Stadium. That is a fantastic facility. Most of the suburban grounds consist of stands down the 2 sides and a mound of grass* at each end. Even the SFS is notorious for its lack of cover in bad weather.

We went at Easter this year and went to see Cronulla v Parramatta. Shark Park has basic cover on 2 sides of the ground mainly for those sat in the expensive seats in the main stands. The rest of the ground is uncovered. Not only did we see, to quote the TV reporter the following day, the worst game in 20 years, but it absolutely poured down. I mean monsoon type rain. My wife refused to wear a poncho, so spent much of the second half under cover just under the stand, but seeing very little of the match. To top it all off the trains weren't running so we had to get the replacement bus instead.

We love Australia, love Sydney and love watching the NRL, but we'd never go to Cronulla again. Not without a bloody big umbrella anyway.

*I believe the Aussies call them 'hills'. There's supposed to be plenty of atmosphere on them. There was plenty of atmosphere at the Fletcher Street end at Wilderspool, but it doesn't mean I would've recommended it to anyone wink.gif

#36 DiH68

DiH68
  • Coach
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 01:45 PM

QUOTE (thirteenthman @ Aug 1 2010, 01:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We love Australia, love Sydney and love watching the NRL, but we'd never go to Cronulla again. Not without a bloody big umbrella anyway.

*I believe the Aussies call them 'hills'. There's supposed to be plenty of atmosphere on them. There was plenty of atmosphere at the Fletcher Street end at Wilderspool, but it doesn't mean I would've recommended it to anyone wink.gif

Atmosphere? At an Aussie game!!! You must be mistaken...

#37 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:34 PM

QUOTE (Wellsy4HullFC @ Jul 31 2010, 11:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What a stupid criteria.

"a" is singular and "criteria" is plural." In the English language they are meant to agree.

I won't call you stupid because I know that your mind has been focused lately on deeper issues, like how many grounds you have been to where you have sat in all stands. The world has been waiting to know the answer to that one for decades!

QUOTE (Wellsy4HullFC @ Jul 31 2010, 11:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Try Belle Vue for a start. Then try the Willows for seconds...

Oh, and before you start calling other people idiots, try learning the difference between "criterion" and "criteria." You are a native English speaker I take it.

Edited by ParisSurtout, 01 August 2010 - 06:15 PM.

_____

#38 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:40 PM

QUOTE (thirteenthman @ Aug 1 2010, 08:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We've visited Sydney twice, been to 4 NRL matches at different venues and it rained every time. The only one where we wouldn't of got wet was the ANZ Stadium. That is a fantastic facility. Most of the suburban grounds consist of stands down the 2 sides and a mound of grass* at each end. Even the SFS is notorious for its lack of cover in bad weather.

We went at Easter this year and went to see Cronulla v Parramatta. Shark Park has basic cover on 2 sides of the ground mainly for those sat in the expensive seats in the main stands. The rest of the ground is uncovered. Not only did we see, to quote the TV reporter the following day, the worst game in 20 years, but it absolutely poured down. I mean monsoon type rain. My wife refused to wear a poncho, so spent much of the second half under cover just under the stand, but seeing very little of the match. To top it all off the trains weren't running so we had to get the replacement bus instead.

Shark Park is widely regarded as a disgrace to the NRL. It is the NRL's equivalent of Belle Vue, relatively speaking. But just to think about the comparison between those two grounds, shows the gulf that exists between the NRL and SL in terms of spectator facilities. Shark Park desperately needs improvements, but it is (barely) tolerable when it is not raining. However any Australian ground in the condition of Belle Vue would have been condemned to closure on health grounds, by any relevant Australian governing entity, decades ago.

Edited by ParisSurtout, 01 August 2010 - 06:17 PM.

_____

#39 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:50 PM

QUOTE (Dave T @ Aug 1 2010, 06:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
HJ has good views and nice toilets and is a RL stadium. It doesn't have a cafe (seems yoy make up the criteria to suit) but it does serve food and drink like any other place, and people can pay a reasonable amount to have meal at the ground and get top seats.

It also has an advantage of being built right near town which has plenty of places.

Why did I bother with a serious reply to this post? huh.gif

You may have replied because your subconscious advised you that the thread posed a serious question for a sport that is trying to make a profit from various income streams which include spectator attendances.

HJ is reputedly a good stadium but I have not attended a game there. Good work from Warrington to have created such a stadium. But it is in the minority group of those clubs that do cater reasonably well for their fans.

Edited by ParisSurtout, 01 August 2010 - 05:06 PM.

_____

#40 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:54 PM

Bramall Lane
Stobart Stadium
Halliwell Jones
JJB/DW Stadium
Galpharm

You get a pretty good view standing on the side at Odsal, ditto most stadiums in SL.

You even get great views at Mount Pleasant, Post Office Road, Leigh Sports Village, Barrow etc.

Pointless thread.
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users