Foreign Team by Invitation

A while back this rather major alteration to the existing rules was brought to the attention of fans everywhere - the RFL, having gone back on promises, stated Toulouse would need to follow the existing rules like everyone else after a not insignificant fuss made in the media. However somewhere down the line quietly the rules have been altered so that any foreign team can bypass the current criteria and enter super league by invitation if deemed necessary.

The criteria for super league have also been clarified recently to include specific 2,500 average attendances,

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We all know Celtic Crusaders and London Broncos were by invitation, so what's the difference ?

The RFL will do what they think is best, whether or not it actually is.

I think they were hoping Toulouse would qualify properly within the rules, but as they haven't they will get an invite anyway.

Widnes - Cheshire's Original Glamour Club.

We all know Celtic Crusaders and London Broncos were by invitation, so what's the difference ?

The RFL will do what they think is best, whether or not it actually is.

I think they were hoping Toulouse would qualify properly within the rules, but as they haven't they will get an invite anyway.

And Les Cats were "invited" as well. The RFL tried to run a single selection system for two very different types of club. Now they seem to be running a we will pick who we want and the remaining places will be by criteria. Funny how it's only the people on this site who are picking up and questioning this apparent major major rule change. The RL journos don't seem too bothered. Maybe the world of RL journalism is too small a boat to rock without falling out of the boat yourself.

Les Cats have been far more successful than anyone had any right to expect so early in their life as a club.

I think we have 2 things going on here - the RFL has been categoric that a club from the Championship WILL be promoted and that a club for SL WILL be demoted. They have published criteria which the promoted club will satisfy and presumably will publish criteria against which the Sl clubs will be measured.

The point about invitation can only be relevant in so far as the RFL wishes/needs to think about expansion clubs. It seems completely fair and reasonable and desirable that they consider the broader game. This MAJOR MAJOR change does not affect Widnes because they are going to be assessed according to the promotion criteria (and will clearly come out on top). If Toulouse could point to a TV deal and sponsors thatw ould mean they could pay for themselves (vvv unlikely) then the RFL is right to consider whether they are a sensible addition to the comp.

How did i forget the roaring success that is Les Catalans Dragons ? :rolleyes:

The club was 80 minutes from the GF last year and has also made the CC Final as well, all in its first 5 years. You're spot on, they are a success. For me, their position in the league is down to one man - Kevin Walters. I really don't think he's that good a coach.

As for inviting Toulouse or any other foreign team into SL, I just don't see it happenning this time round. With the difficulties at Harlequins and Crusaders the RFL will probably look to consolidate this time. Or at least, they should do...

The point about invitation can only be relevant in so far as the RFL wishes/needs to think about expansion clubs. It seems completely fair and reasonable and desirable that they consider the broader game. This MAJOR MAJOR change does not affect Widnes because they are going to be assessed according to the promotion criteria (and will clearly come out on top). If Toulouse could point to a TV deal and sponsors thatw ould mean they could pay for themselves (vvv unlikely) then the RFL is right to consider whether they are a sensible addition to the comp.

Yes I think you have nailed it, clearly the RFL cannot rule out an addition of a club from overseas by being too narrow in the criteria.

It may be just a wishful assumption, that the rule is for Toulouse.

It may be for an unlikely long shot like a Barcelona or a Paris with the backing of guaranteed millions.

As for Nervous Jack no amount of placation will do it. Memo to RFL let Widnes in now for the sake of Jack's health.

Memo to RFL let Widnes in now for the sake of Jack's health.

:D

Although i am interested to know just how they will announce both the CC Club in March, and the one (s ) being kicked out in July.

Will both desicions be televised live as they were in 2008 ?

Widnes - Cheshire's Original Glamour Club.

Im pretty sure that, out of these five rules announced on 4th August 2010:

1 Club has reached a Championship final or won the Northern Rail Cup in 2009 or 2010.

2 Club has a stadium with an operational capacity of 10,000.

3 No insolvency event has occurred during the 2008, 2009 and 2010 seasons.

4 Club has turnover of at least

It has also been stated that one team from the Championship will definitely be promoted to Superleague. But what if all the other bids from current Superleague clubs are self-evidently better? Fair and just? I think not. But, no matter, the Gods have spoken.

Featherstone Rovers should now be celebrating promotion.

Featherstone Rovers should now be celebrating promotion.

Yes, but would Widnes have encouraged the youth this season if things were as they used to be, or perhaps played things differently?

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

Before casting judgement, i'd like to see the franchise criteria published by the RFL both from 3 years ago and now.

For championship clubs.

For stadium it was 12,000, revised down now to 10,000

Stadium operating at at least 40% capaicity revised down to minimum of 2,500 average

Turnover was

Edited by Padge

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

These revisions are for Championship Clubs only. The Super League Clubs still have the same set criteria to aim for............

That makes sense.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Yes, but would Widnes have encouraged the youth this season if things were as they used to be, or perhaps played things differently?

Could the same be said for Toulouse ?? after the media fuss a few months back then this invite only marlarky, have there been given the silent nod, thus save money on the 1st team this season ?

Could the same be said for Toulouse ?? after the media fuss a few months back then this invite only marlarky, have there been given the silent nod, thus save money on the 1st team this season ?

As opposed to a noisy nod? :huh:

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/article/8790/join-team-wales-for-2013

Predictions for the future -

Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG

Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT

Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG

Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/

http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!

http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx