Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Barrow Boss QUITS.............

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,474 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 05:28 PM

North West Evening MailRaidersMcCormack quits as Barrow Raiders boss
Last updated at 16:15, Tuesday, 17 August 2010

STEVE McCormack has quit his role as Barrow Raiders coach less than a year into his stay at Craven Park.

The former Salford and Gateshead boss handed in his resignation to Raiders chairman Des Johnston this morning to take up a permanent teaching post near his Wigan home.

McCormack has endured a torrid time with injuries in his 10 months in charge of Raiders, with Barrow currently fourth in the Championship table and losing their latest game 35-6 at Dewsbury on Sunday.

The club confirmed the departure in a statement issued this afternoon.

It said: Further to meetings between Barrow RL chairman Des Johnston and head coach Steve McCormack, it has been agreed that Steve McCormack will step down as head coach with immediate effect.

Chairman Des Johnston added in a further statement: Following a series of meetings between myself and Steve over the last few weeks, Steve has informed me that he has been offered a full-time teaching post back in his home town of Wigan.

Steve had to make a decision before tomorrow (August 18). We agreed before the Toulouse game that he would remain as head coach until the end of the season, however Steve felt with a starting date of September, he could no longer dedicate his full-time commitment to Barrow RL.

It was decided this morning between myself and Steve that the club would not stand in his way and deny him this great opportunity.

On a personal note, I have enjoyed thoroughly working with Steve and he has my utmost respect. I cannot speak highly enough of him.

He has been very unfortunate this season with a horrific injury list, and myself and the board of directors wish him and his family every success and good luck for the future.

We thank him wholeheartedly for his honest and hard-working efforts this season.

It is with great sadness that things have not worked out as we both would have liked, and when he informed me three weeks ago regarding this teaching opportunity, I shook his hand and wished him all the best in his new career.

McCormack, who guided Barrow to the quarter-finals of the Challenge Cup this season, with victory over Super League Castleford in the fourth round, added his own statement.

He said: I have loved every minute of my time at Barrow and would like to thank the supporters and directors for the opportunity.

My relationship with Des Johnston has been first-class and I wish him and the club well for the future.

I feel this decision is the best one for the club and my family, as I couldnt commit to the responsibilities of coaching Barrow Raiders in a full-time capacity any longer.

I met Des this morning and informed him of my decision. I would still like to stay in the game in a part-time coaching capacity, but at this moment in time, I cannot commit to both full-time roles.

See tomorrows Evening Mail for full story and reaction to McCormacks departure

huh.gif ohmy.gif

#2 RS

RS
  • Coach
  • 610 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 05:31 PM

Swinton next?

Big pals with the Kidd family.

#3 Bulletproof

Bulletproof
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 05:37 PM

Seems to be a lot of turmoil at the Barrow club. blink.gif With the severe drop in crowd averages and the limited success in both competitions despite no youth policy things are not going well for them! ph34r.gif unsure.gif wacko.gif

#4 Bomb Jack

Bomb Jack
  • Coach
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 05:38 PM

Fear not, Barrow's Reserve's Coach will step in.

Widnes - Super League's newest Club, and Cheshire's Original Glamour Club. Watch out Warrington, we're back !

#5 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 05:39 PM

ANother coach falls out with 'Super Dessie'.

I'd like to say I'm surprised, but, well, that would be a lie.
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#6 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 05:49 PM

Barrow no coach, no stadia and no sl

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooopppppppppppppssssssssssssssssssssss

Steve McCormack bigger and better than Barrow

#7 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,425 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 05:51 PM

Quit! laugh.gif Dessie forced him out more like. Des who has done a great job in pumping money in to Barrow is unfortunately a Power Freak nd somebody who most people do not want to work with. Its a shame for Barrow that Des is the way he is.

#8 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 06:53 PM

I hope Dave Clark takes charge. He has been the best manager the Raiders have had recently.
The players seem to respond to him too. This could be just the thing to get us back on track.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#9 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 06:55 PM

Isn't this the second time he's done this?
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#10 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,474 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:14 PM

McCormack, who guided Barrow to the quarter-finals of the Challenge Cup this season, with victory over Super League Castleford in the fourth round, added his own statement.

He said: I have loved every minute of my time at Barrow and would like to thank the supporters and directors for the opportunity.

My relationship with Des Johnston has been first-class and I wish him and the club well for the future.

I feel this decision is the best one for the club and my family, as I couldnt commit to the responsibilities of coaching Barrow Raiders in a full-time capacity any longer.

I met Des this morning and informed him of my decision. I would still like to stay in the game in a part-time coaching capacity, but at this moment in time, I cannot commit to both full-time roles.

Repeated for those who struggle to read & comprehand the written word.

Edited by mick wilson, 17 August 2010 - 07:23 PM.

#11 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:33 PM

QUOTE (1976PMJwires @ Aug 17 2010, 06:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Steve McCormack bigger and better than Barrow

Barrow - 1 Championship

Steve McCormack - ... unsure.gif

Cummins Out.

#12 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:35 PM

Good coach i wish him all the best whatever he does from now on

#13 Tommy The C5t

Tommy The C5t
  • Coach
  • 13,479 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:40 PM

Bad news for Barrow and I don't have the attendance figures at hand but on the Halifax board they say that they are 700 down on last season.

#14 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,981 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:42 PM

I know there's a lot of "Des haters" on here, but McCormack's got an offer of a full-time teaching post and has decided to stand down. That is what has happened on the face of it. There may be a sub-plot, but why is everyone on here such a cynical sod. Can't it just be true?

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#15 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,414 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:45 PM

QUOTE (tonyXIII @ Aug 17 2010, 08:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know there's a lot of "Des haters" on here, but McCormack's got an offer of a full-time teaching post and has decided to stand down. That is what has happened on the face of it. There may be a sub-plot, but why is everyone on here such a cynical sod. Can't it just be true?

Perhaps. One game before the end of the season and the playoffs? Odd.

A Fev Blog

#16 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:47 PM

QUOTE (marklaspalmas @ Aug 17 2010, 08:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Perhaps. One game before the end of the season and the playoffs? Odd.

How long before the start of term to teachers have to start working?

Cummins Out.

#17 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:50 PM

I wonder if he is giving up his Scotland job too?
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#18 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,414 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE (Matt J @ Aug 17 2010, 08:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not many staff get appointed on 17th of August to start in September. You'd've thought he could've done the first three weeks of term part-time till Barrow were dumped out of the playoffs.

Whatever like. I think they'll be more dangerous without him tbh

A Fev Blog

#19 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,425 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:19 PM

QUOTE (tonyXIII @ Aug 17 2010, 07:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Perhaps because Des is well known to go in to the changing rooms at HT when Barrow have had a bad 40 minutes. He also hates losing-which is fair enough, but his actions after losing at such places as Leigh, Halifax etc do not help. And the timing is very wierd to say the least! I bet Des was fuming and being hammered by little Dewsbury and the way they were hammered. I doubt Mcmormack thought ever- even Sunday-OK time to go. More like Des was more than unhappy and told him goodbye.

#20 Pen-Y-Bont Crusader

Pen-Y-Bont Crusader
  • Coach
  • 603 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:32 PM

QUOTE (Matt J @ Aug 17 2010, 08:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A Level results are in schools tomorrow 9.00am for staff. My workload is about to go up again. dry.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users