Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Warrington Wolves v Hull FC

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

Poll: Warrington Wolves v Hull FC (12 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Warrington (10 votes [83.33%])

Percentage of vote: 83.33%

2. Hull FC (2 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

3. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 goldcard

goldcard
  • Coach
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 09:49 PM

Reasonable, but not brilliant, scripted try highlights on SSN.

TBH, tries with flat pass issues, seen at full speed from 1 angle, nothing blatant from my chair.

4th up for grabs.
Wires record breaking 10 match run: L 16-17 ; L 34-36 ; L 24-44 ; L 20-38 ; L 8-46; L 14-26 ; L 20-40 ; L 22-48 ; L 14-20 ; L 8-60. Thanks Jimmy.The Glamour Club. Apparently.
Captain Morgan Trophy Holders.(I still think we have the British Coal 9's trophy hidden somewhere, too...)
Ooooh, the Challenge Cup!!! Thank you Tony.....
And again!!!Posted Image
Tipping Competiton Challenged Shield Winner 2010

#42 Wendall

Wendall
  • Banned
  • 6,758 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 12:02 AM

Just back from the pub after going to the game.

To be honest it was to quote Jimmy Lowes another ''2nd gear'' Wire performance against a Hull team without a creative spark. Hull have a good pack and they did well but backline wise they dont have a single player who I would want at Wire (apart from maybe Tom Briscoe but he aint a patch on Ryan Atkins to be fair).

#43 amh

amh
  • 11,084 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 04:17 AM

QUOTE (Riversiderontour @ Aug 20 2010, 08:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I feel blessed

I have just witnessed the very first 40-20 pass that resulted in a Try

laugh.gif laugh.gif deffo top 4 now Wire..all forward passes and double movements allowed now tongue.gif

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#44 Lee

Lee
  • Coach
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 04:18 AM

QUOTE (goldcard @ Aug 20 2010, 10:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Reasonable, but not brilliant, scripted try highlights on SSN.

TBH, tries with flat pass issues, seen at full speed from 1 angle, nothing blatant from my chair.

laugh.gif

One was thrown on the 20m line and caught 17m out, yep real flat

A lot of Yorkshiremen believe that when God created the world, he made it with perfect balance.
He balanced the hot areas with the cold areas. the dry areas with the wet areas.
And, in creating Yorkshire, he created the most glorious place on earth - full of majestic beauty and sporting giants.........and for balance he created....... Lancashire.

#45 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 06:12 AM

QUOTE (1976PMJwires @ Aug 18 2010, 05:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Warrington 72 Hull 12 ...... Well it would be nice wink.gif

Wires 34 Fc 12 .......... FFS please be a Wire win.

Happy with a win.

Met with some Hull fans before the game wink.gif , real fans, real gents, good luck in 2 weeks.

Hull will be dangerous in the play offs, esp with loads of players to come back .

#46 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 07:56 AM

QUOTE (Wendall @ Aug 21 2010, 01:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just back from the pub after going to the game.

To be honest it was to quote Jimmy Lowes another ''2nd gear'' Wire performance against a Hull team without a creative spark. Hull have a good pack and they did well but backline wise they dont have a single player who I would want at Wire (apart from maybe Tom Briscoe but he aint a patch on Ryan Atkins to be fair).

Atkins is not in the same league as Briscoe.

#47 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,348 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 08:33 AM

Decent win in the end. I expected a tough one like this, but we certainly helped keep it close with poor ball retention. Defence generally heldup well, just a horrendous miss by Riley (personally if Bridge is back next week, I would have Riley out of the team), and a lucky bounce off the knee caught us out.

There was plenty of good fortune for us I think it's fair to say, it would have been interesting had Westwood's try been referred. I think it would have been disallowed, although personally feel it would have been harsh as his momentum was nowhere near stopped.

Thought Riley's first try was forward but tbh, had we been more clinical it could have been a frightening score. Atkins still has some development, but his running with the ball is outstanding, and at times he was terrorising the Hull defence.

With Briers, I'd like to think that we would have been much slicker and ruthless.

#48 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,735 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 08:45 AM

QUOTE (Dave T @ Aug 21 2010, 09:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Decent win in the end. I expected a tough one like this, but we certainly helped keep it close with poor ball retention. Defence generally heldup well, just a horrendous miss by Riley (personally if Bridge is back next week, I would have Riley out of the team), and a lucky bounce off the knee caught us out.

There was plenty of good fortune for us I think it's fair to say, it would have been interesting had Westwood's try been referred. I think it would have been disallowed, although personally feel it would have been harsh as his momentum was nowhere near stopped.

Thought Riley's first try was forward but tbh, had we been more clinical it could have been a frightening score. Atkins still has some development, but his running with the ball is outstanding, and at times he was terrorising the Hull defence.

With Briers, I'd like to think that we would have been much slicker and ruthless.

Can't argue with much of that Dave. Personally I wondered if the score would have been more before the game but reasonably pleased with our efforts. Having said that, in the second half we allowed far too many offloads giving our defence more work than was otherwise necessary. With that, we tired and gaps appeared far too often.

I'd like to think when Long and Horne are back, we'll pose a lot more problems. We are hopeless attackingwise when they're both missing, ie. all but four games this season. sad.gif

Re Westwood's try, he may have had momentum but once your elbow has hit the deck, you can't lift your arm to put the ball down which is what he did IMO. I reckon he would have scored anyway as he was sliding over IIRC.

Atkins broken field running was very damaging but he might not have looked as impressive against a sterner defence.

Once again, Tom Briscoe amazed me. His ability to score in such tight situations is remarkable.

The game v Leeds at the KC is nicely set up now, although I fear once again, we may come second.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#49 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,386 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 09:03 AM

QUOTE (Old Frightful @ Aug 21 2010, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can't argue with much of that Dave. Personally I wondered if the score would have been more before the game but reasonably pleased with our efforts. Having said that, in the second half we allowed far too many offloads giving our defence more work than was otherwise necessary. With that, we tired and gaps appeared far too often.

I'd like to think when Long and Horne are back, we'll pose a lot more problems. We are hopeless attackingwise when they're both missing, ie. all but four games this season. sad.gif

Re Westwood's try, he may have had momentum but once your elbow has hit the deck, you can't lift your arm to put the ball down which is what he did IMO. I reckon he would have scored anyway as he was sliding over IIRC.

Atkins broken field running was very damaging but he might not have looked as impressive against a sterner defence.

Once again, Tom Briscoe amazed me. His ability to score in such tight situations is remarkable.

The game v Leeds at the KC is nicely set up now, although I fear once again, we may come second.

I thought it was a very encouraging performance from Hull, especially with five of our seven first choice backs sitting in the stands. With the pack at full strength (touch wood) and our half-backs returning we could still rattle a few cages. We're clearly not good enough to win the competition, but we could have some fun along the way. Really looking forward to the Leeds game now.

Agree about Tom Briscoe, another astonishing effort.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#50 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,386 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 09:05 AM

QUOTE (westhuller @ Aug 21 2010, 08:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed. There isn't a three-quarter in the country I'd take over Tom B.

Reece Lyne is coming along nicely too.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#51 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,386 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 09:27 AM

QUOTE (goldcard @ Aug 20 2010, 09:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
According to Wilkin, if the video could be used on passes, then Hull would still be on 6 points.
I only have wireless, didn't see it meself, like.
12 all ht, Monaghan might have run his knock off.
Will it be no injuries becomes higher priority than 2 points?
Leeds don't have this trouble, they're not being tackled, 34-6 over there....

Jon?

Enough said.

#52 boris74

boris74
  • Coach
  • 137 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 09:37 AM

QUOTE (Ullman @ Aug 21 2010, 10:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought it was a very encouraging performance from Hull, especially with five of our seven first choice backs sitting in the stands. With the pack at full strength (touch wood) and our half-backs returning we could still rattle a few cages. We're clearly not good enough to win the competition, but we could have some fun along the way. Really looking forward to the Leeds game now.

Agree about Tom Briscoe, another astonishing effort.

I agree there were some very encouraging signs last night. I thought Reece Lyne looked the part him and Yeaman kept King and Hicks very quiet last night.

Our forwards more then held their own especially in the first half and it does make you think that if we had a pair of half backs playing we would have posted more points. Not knocking Berro or Washy but they simply are not half backs IMO.

#53 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,348 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 10:22 AM

Yep, I know a few of your Hull FC fans had said that you will never score enough points to win, and tbh after the pressure you had on us in the first 20, you really should have been well ahead.

I agree mate, it should have been disallowed, my comment was more on the rules, for mine a double movement should be penalised if a player has been stopped and had another go, but agree that as things stand, it probably should have been disallowed.

Yep, as angry as I was with Riley's pathetic effort (more and more regular these days), Briscoe's hands were amazing on getting that down, it's the kind of stuff we rave about when the likes of Inglis does it...

#54 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,959 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 10:30 AM

QUOTE (Dave T @ Aug 21 2010, 01:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yep, as angry as I was with Riley's pathetic effort (more and more regular these days), Briscoe's hands were amazing on getting that down, it's the kind of stuff we rave about when the likes of Inglis does it...

An interesting point (not really relevant here, but ...). We often rave about the Aussies as if they were supermen, but when our own do something special, we don't. We should blow our own trumpet a bit more loudly.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#55 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,386 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 10:42 AM

Are you absolutely certain about that mate? I thought it didn't matter what you did if you still had momentum. I was surprised it wasn't referred to the VR to check, but I think it would probably have been given anyway. Looked a fair try to me at normal speed.

Maybe one of the refs on here could clear the rule up.

#56 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,735 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 10:51 AM

QUOTE (Ullman @ Aug 21 2010, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are you absolutely certain about that mate? I thought it didn't matter what you did if you still had momentum. I was surprised it wasn't referred to the VR to check, but I think it would probably have been given anyway. Looked a fair try to me at normal speed.

Maybe one of the refs on here could clear the rule up.

I think I'm certain.. huh.gif biggrin.gif

http://www.rugbyleag...ment-explained/

"A player is allowed to be tackled short of the tryline, and slide with the ball over the line, but if the attacking players arm is raised off the ground and advanced forward, than it is deemed a double movement."

Unless I'm reading it incorrectly, that appears to say you can slide over the line with the ball but you can't lift your elbow. Or is that bit if you're short of the line only?

Edited by Old Frightful, 21 August 2010 - 10:52 AM.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#57 GazCoops

GazCoops
  • Coach
  • 396 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 12:12 PM

QUOTE (westhuller @ Aug 21 2010, 08:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't forget to mention they dont play in the same position. laugh.gif

Posted Image

#58 GazCoops

GazCoops
  • Coach
  • 396 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 12:15 PM

QUOTE (Old Frightful @ Aug 21 2010, 11:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"A player is allowed to be tackled short of the tryline, and slide with the ball over the line, but if the attacking players arm is raised off the ground and advanced forward, than it is deemed a double movement."

Unless I'm reading it incorrectly, that appears to say you can slide over the line with the ball but you can't lift your elbow. Or is that bit if you're short of the line only?

I agree with Rob here, it was a certain double movement and as I said at the match was the turning point in the game, as it was the first time Wire went in front and from then they got their tails up and stepped up a gear.

Posted Image

#59 FullFat

FullFat
  • Players
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 01:57 PM

QUOTE (Dave T @ Aug 21 2010, 11:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yep, as angry as I was with Riley's pathetic effort (more and more regular these days

I think you're being more than a bit harsh on Riley there Dave. He missed the tackle last night but it was a great step and finish from Briscoe but I can't see where you think this is becoming at all "regular" from him.

He's made a few mistakes this season but I think he has been no worse than any one else in the team.

#60 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,386 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 03:37 PM

QUOTE (Old Frightful @ Aug 21 2010, 11:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But that's ambiguous. It doesn't say whether that still applies if the player has forward momentum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users