Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

any new clubs joining championship 1 next year?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 skep155

skep155
  • Coach
  • 784 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:01 PM

Any new clubs joining championship 1 next year? Anyone heard any rumours? Not expecting anything to happen but it would be great if any clubs did make the step up.

#2 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,167 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:34 PM

Very surreal I was going to ask the exact same question today! ph34r.gif blink.gif blush.gif

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#3 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 02:39 PM

Wakefield ph34r.gif

Cummins Out.

#4 Simon Hall

Simon Hall
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 02:56 PM

Hunslet will be joining it after next season, I know that much.

Printing & Graphic Design - Nationwide
Leaflets | Flyers | Matchday Programmes | Business Cards | Letterheads | Brochures | Posters | plus much, much more!
T: 01904 765334 | E: info@alldesignandprint.co.uk

Official Matchday Magazine print & design partner to York City Knights, Hunslet Hawks & Dewsbury Rams

alldesignandprint.co.uk

#5 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,904 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 03:05 PM

Whilst not on the cards, could the Super League sides not enter U20's at Championship level, under the proviso they can rise no higher than The Championship obviously.

Would bring Sunday rugby back to towns that now only tend to play on a Friday evening, could give a shot in the arm to the attendances of clubs, I would imaging Swinton v Wigan in Championship 1 would pull in well above Swintons average gate for this season as an example.

Plus would give some of our younger players a chance to shine in the spotlight given the additional Sky coverage that the Championship divisions now attract.

#6 thepimp007

thepimp007
  • Coach
  • 471 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 03:11 PM

QUOTE (shrek @ Oct 1 2010, 04:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Whilst not on the cards, could the Super League sides not enter U20's at Championship level, under the proviso they can rise no higher than The Championship obviously.

Would bring Sunday rugby back to towns that now only tend to play on a Friday evening, could give a shot in the arm to the attendances of clubs, I would imaging Swinton v Wigan in Championship 1 would pull in well above Swintons average gate for this season as an example.

Plus would give some of our younger players a chance to shine in the spotlight given the additional Sky coverage that the Championship divisions now attract.

superb idea

#7 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,486 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 03:15 PM

Baghdad Bulldogs, its all about expansion! wink.gif

oh and York Baby Whinos!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

#8 High Peak Rhino

High Peak Rhino
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 03:17 PM

Like the idea but if this happened would the number of dual registered players drop and be a detriment to lower league clubs? Personally I'm split on dual registration so would be interested in other opinions.

#9 Terry Chimes

Terry Chimes
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 03:24 PM

I think you'll find only Sper Duper Duper League fans would think this is a good idea.

The thought of Dewsbury V Bradford A or Oldham V Wigan A would kill the 'smaller' clubs off once and for all.

It's about as good an idea as the RFL suggesting to Sky they pull all their money out.

#10 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,992 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 03:24 PM

Question - how many people go to watch their own SL club's U20s ? If the answer is not many then what makes you think that Championship 1 fans would want to watch them ?

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#11 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,904 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 04:15 PM

QUOTE (Derwent @ Oct 1 2010, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Question - how many people go to watch their own SL club's U20s ? If the answer is not many then what makes you think that Championship 1 fans would want to watch them ?

Don't have the exact figures, but the times I've been up to Edge Hall Road to watch Wigans they get crowds on a par with a lot of Championship 1 clubs. Play them on a Sunday afternoon when there can be very little top tier action,whilst you may not get not massive numbers, they would certainly be enough to boost the gates of clubs only pulling in 200-400 fans in the first place.

I watch a lot of Championship rugby, mainly because I can't make that many Friday games and like to get a weekend fix in, I can't be alone, can we be sure there arn't more than a few in the same boat slowly consuming a majority of rugby via Sky when it would take very little to entice them out to watch live rugby at a more convenient time.

Not sure about duel registration players High Peak Rhino, not sure how popular the system is anyhow amongst fans of Championship clubs, personally I'd say a majority of what I've heard and read has been quite negative, be interesting to see what others think.

Sorry Terry Chimes, that wasn't the intention, not sure I see why it would kill of the "smaller" clubs, I'd have thought being able to expand what are relatively small divisions with financially secure clubs who may have a decent following to boost the coffers a little would be welcome. I personally wouldn't brand them as Wigan A, I'd come up with alternative names following something not dissimilar to the South London model.

#12 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 04:40 PM

I can't stand dual registration. It devalues the competition IMO.

Spanish soccer allows La Liga teams to field their reserves in the third tier. Not sure of the details of the constraints but it does seem to work. Might check it out on Wikipedia.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#13 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 04:53 PM

U20's would just make Super League clubs stronger, cluster the playing talent at fewer clubs and weaken stand alone Championship clubs in my opinion. Wouldnt like to see it.

Agree with tim2 that dual registration devalues the comp already to an extent; altho I can see the benefits of this.
Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League
Harry Jepson Winners 2008
RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008
East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005
RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

#14 jonnyg28

jonnyg28
  • Coach
  • 692 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 04:59 PM

Any watch the conference national final? Surely a few of the top teams can compete in championship 1, any thoughts?

#15 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 05:13 PM

QUOTE (jonnyg28 @ Oct 1 2010, 05:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Any watch the conference national final? Surely a few of the top teams can compete in championship 1, any thoughts?

Against the bottom clubs they might be competitive, but Hunslet, Oldham and York would put a lot of points on any of the teams in the RLC National

#16 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,904 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 05:16 PM

QUOTE (Odsal Outlaw @ Oct 1 2010, 05:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
U20's would just make Super League clubs stronger, cluster the playing talent at fewer clubs and weaken stand alone Championship clubs in my opinion. Wouldnt like to see it.

Agree with tim2 that dual registration devalues the comp already to an extent; altho I can see the benefits of this.

If they didn't get any additional allowances under the salary cap would it not keep the same players at the same clubs but expose them to a higher level of rugby allowing you to do away with dual registration?

QUOTE (jonnyg28 @ Oct 1 2010, 05:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If the National Conference switches to Summer, there could be a way to extend the pyramid, the standard of the Premier Division is pretty good with reasonable facilities, but agree there would be some high scoring, one sided matches against some of the stronger teams.

#17 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 612 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 05:30 PM

QUOTE (tim2 @ Oct 1 2010, 06:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Against the bottom clubs they might be competitive, but Hunslet, Oldham and York would put a lot of points on any of the teams in the RLC National

i think th poster is talking about the national conference league,not the rlc.

#18 Tommy The C5t

Tommy The C5t
  • Coach
  • 13,479 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 05:32 PM

QUOTE (Derwent @ Oct 1 2010, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

About 150/300 at Odsal usually, although we had a gate of 1000+ vs Wakefield last year when we had the BBQ open day.

#19 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,755 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 05:37 PM

QUOTE (Tommy The C5t @ Oct 1 2010, 06:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
About 150/300 at Odsal usually, although we had a gate of 1000+ vs Wakefield last year when we had the BBQ open day.

Was it one of them disposable ones? You know, the 1.99 ones from Tesco`s.

#20 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 05:41 PM

QUOTE (ehbandit @ Oct 1 2010, 06:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i think th poster is talking about the national conference league,not the rlc.

National Conference is better, but I think the clubs like being where they are