Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The real lessons of Wigan's rebirth and climb to the top:

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 07:56 PM

It's almost that simple.

1. You need an owner with deep pockets, who really loves the club. Ian Lenagan is a Wigan boy, who is very smart and very wealthy, and he loves Wigan.

Warrington is the only other club apart from Wigan that has that kind of owner at the moment. Harlequins and Les Catalans have devoted owners, but the owners do not have deep enough pockets -- in Harlequins case not deep enough to cover the revenue losses from a poor fan base.

However Leeds is very well managed and profitable, so it offers an alternative model of ownership and management.

2. You need a top class coach who can not only prepare a team, but also recruit the best talent in the world. Wise recruitment is a skill. Again, Warrington seems to be the only other club that has that kind of coach.

3. The cheque book can only take you so far. You need a good juniors structure as well, to keep the playing talent coming through. You also need good juniors to be able to step up when there are injuries to the senior players. This is where Wigan is ahead of Warrington. But Leeds and Hull FC also have good junior set ups. So does Harlequins, and increasingly Les Catalans -- though the devoted owner of the latter does not seem to take full advantage of the juniors, preferring to buy Aussie imports.

Edited by ParisSurtout, 02 October 2010 - 08:05 PM.

Le rugby a treize, c'est moi!

_____

#2 ShotgunGold

ShotgunGold
  • Coach
  • 858 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 08:11 PM

I agree with 2 and 3, of which Wigan certainly do have.

With 1 I disagree a little. You spend the cap, that is all. It's HOW you spend the cap which is important and obviously that ties in with having a great coach. Having the extra money is great for building up the club off-the-field, but once you've spent the cap that's crucial in the results you get throughout the year.

#3 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 08:36 PM

Ever heard of Phil Caddick? He's a very rich man.

Brian McLennan won a Four Nations and Grand Finals.

After that, I'm off for a bath. So so dirty.
People called Romans they go the house

#4 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,433 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 08:37 PM

and he's off

agree with 2 & 3............ but no.1 your talking rubbish.

only Paul Deakin was brought into the club.

#5 saintfrank

saintfrank
  • Coach
  • 311 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 08:42 PM

so in the list provided, no mention of saints youngsters...i must be watching another club. Think ours have done well with the injuries we have had, and we still have a few in the wings
Saints Fan from 47 through good and bad times

#6 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 08:50 PM

QUOTE (saintfrank @ Oct 2 2010, 04:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
so in the list provided, no mention of saints youngsters...i must be watching another club. Think ours have done well with the injuries we have had, and we still have a few in the wings

True. Sorrry I missed your junior program.

Edited by ParisSurtout, 02 October 2010 - 08:51 PM.

_____

#7 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 08:54 PM

QUOTE (MrPosh @ Oct 2 2010, 04:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ever heard of Phil Caddick? He's a very rich man.

Brian McLennan won a Four Nations and Grand Finals.

After that, I'm off for a bath. So so dirty.

I haven't heard of Phil Caddick. I only know of Paul Caddick. Tell us a bit more about the other mysterious undercover chap Phil if you would be so kind.

Leeds is one of the few clubs (the only one?) that is making a profit from business revenue. Paul is not needed for subsisdy to keep the club afloat like some of the other clubs with rich owners. He has started a damned good business structure and with a good general manager named Gary Hetherington.

Enjoy your bath. But keep your phone handy besides the bath though, in case Phil calls. Meanwhile I will phone Paul and see what he can tell me about Phil. laugh.gif

Edited by ParisSurtout, 02 October 2010 - 09:06 PM.

_____

#8 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,978 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 09:21 PM

Can I please have your three rules for teaching Grandma to suck eggs?

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#9 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 10:11 PM

QUOTE (ParisSurtout @ Oct 2 2010, 09:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I haven't heard of Phil Caddick. I only know of Paul Caddick. Tell us a bit more about the other mysterious undercover chap Phil if you would be so kind.

Leeds is one of the few clubs (the only one?) that is making a profit from business revenue. Paul is not needed for subsisdy to keep the club afloat like some of the other clubs with rich owners. He has started a damned good business structure and with a good general manager named Gary Hetherington.

Enjoy your bath. But keep your phone handy besides the bath though, in case Phil calls. Meanwhile I will phone Paul and see what he can tell me about Phil. laugh.gif

Whatever.

I don't know of any general manager at Leeds called Gary Hetherington. Perhaps he is related to Gary Hetherington the Chief Executive? Maybe you should ask Paul that when you ring him.

Or maybe you could try to argue why you left Leeds out - who after all have a far more successful record and structure than Wigan or Wire.
People called Romans they go the house

#10 hunsletgiant

hunsletgiant
  • Coach
  • 240 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 10:20 PM

Forgot to mention number 4.

4. Be prepared to cheat and breach the salary cap, with the comfort of knowing you wont be dealt with in the same manner as ANY other club!

#11 The Alchemist

The Alchemist
  • Coach
  • 212 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 10:20 PM

Wealthy owner, not really
Good coach - Outstanding
Good juniors - Aiways been there, just not been given the opportunity..............back to good coach then........

Even though our utter, unquestioned dominance in the sport has ended, all Wiganers believe that we are really just indulgently letting the other teams win for a while in order to make it more interesting.

Stuart Maconie, Cider with Roadies

"cause people often talk about being scared of change but for me I'm more afraid of things staying the same cause the game is never won by standing in any one place for too long"

Nick Cave

#12 Bitofaboogie

Bitofaboogie
  • Coach
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 12:44 AM

QUOTE (hunsletgiant @ Oct 2 2010, 11:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Forgot to mention number 4.

4. Be prepared to cheat and breach the salary cap, with the comfort of knowing you wont be dealt with in the same manner as ANY other club!

That's right - other clubs breach the cap (some of them repeatedly) and get a slap on the wrists, Wigan don't breach the cap and get fined 200 grand and docked league points.

Leeds breach the cap every season but have a business structure so labyrinthine that it's impossible for the RFL's "independent" cap assessors to ever understand it, so Leeds never get done.

#13 steef

steef
  • Coach
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 01:02 AM

QUOTE (Bitofaboogie @ Oct 3 2010, 01:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's right - other clubs breach the cap (some of them repeatedly) and get a slap on the wrists, Wigan don't breach the cap and get fined 200 grand and docked league points.

Leeds breach the cap every season but have a business structure so labyrinthine that it's impossible for the RFL's "independent" cap assessors to ever understand it, so Leeds never get done.

so the cap assessors can't work it out but you can? Give over. If a Grand final win can't cheer you up then there is no hope.
"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook....156268557729980

#14 Bulletproof

Bulletproof
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 05:06 AM

You didn't go far enough!

4. Win games, by scoring more points than the opposition.
5. Win so many games, as to win more games than your rivals.
6. In the play offs, win all the games available until there are no more games left to play.

I feel with these tactics, clubs can soon learn from Wigan on how to succeed at the very highest level.

#15 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 07:06 AM

QUOTE (Bulletproof @ Oct 3 2010, 06:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You didn't go far enough!

4. Win games, by scoring more points than the opposition.
5. Win so many games, as to win more games than your rivals.
6. In the play offs, win all the games available until there are no more games left to play.

I feel with these tactics, clubs can soon learn from Wigan on how to succeed at the very highest level.

Wigan didn't achieve (6), they lost one. wink.gif
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#16 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 08:02 AM

if the assessors dont understand how LEEDS CHEAT THE SALARY CAP as you have alleged ,how is it you can?
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#17 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,080 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 08:04 AM

Proof,dear boy,proof.
Founder of the convent pontoon team.

#18 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,080 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 04:17 PM

QUOTE (fieldofclothofgold @ Oct 3 2010, 09:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
if the assessors dont understand how LEEDS CHEAT THE SALARY CAP as you have alleged ,how is it you can?

The voices in his head told him!
Founder of the convent pontoon team.

#19 PC

PC
  • Coach
  • 4,216 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 04:20 PM

I love the way the work of Brian Noble is being ignored. He took Wigan from being a club right at the foot of SL and got them to withing inches of a GF. Without those foundations, Wigan would not have won yesterday. A GF win does not come about form one season, it comes about from years of dedication from a lot of people.

Edited by PC, 03 October 2010 - 04:20 PM.

#20 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 05:15 PM

QUOTE (PC @ Oct 3 2010, 05:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I love the way the work of Brian Noble is being ignored. He took Wigan from being a club right at the foot of SL and got them to withing inches of a GF. Without those foundations, Wigan would not have won yesterday. A GF win does not come about form one season, it comes about from years of dedication from a lot of people.

Noble gets plenty credit for turning the club around from where it was when he arrived, but Wigan's performance this season compared to 2009 when they only signed Deacon in the off season also highlights his limitations.

Posted Image

oderint dum metuant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users