It's about time this great game got re united

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point.

Quick question - if you were the RFL and you were to bring this back - what measures (if any) would you take to ensure that a club who finished top any given season don't nearly bankrupt themselves firstly getting into Super League in the first place or secondly trying to stay there for more than one season - baring in mind the vast financial gap between clubs in the top flight and most (but not all) of those in the Championship?

Just curious.

Edited by Amber Avenger

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

Good point.

Quick question - if you were the RFL and you were to bring this back - what measures (if any) would you take to ensure that a club who finished top any given season don't nearly bankrupt themselves firstly getting into Super League in the first place or secondly trying to stay there for more than one season - baring in mind the vast financial gap between clubs in the top flight and most (but not all) of those in the Championship?

Just curious.

Those measures are already in place aren't they, with the points deduction most recently seen by Blackpool

What about clubs already in SL, they could also go #### up

Good point.

Just curious.

Also, other sports are trying to solve the same problems in their own differing ways. Union would love to get rid of Promotion & Relegation but may now do it underneath the 2nd tier - incidentally they are suggesting a minimum stadium size of 15K for the top tier!!! They also have parachute payments that distort the 2nd tier. Football clubs regularly talk about changes but the game is run by the clubs, the Premiership NEEDS to be reduced in size but won't be without massive repercussions. Parachute payments are enormous and distort the 2nd tier horribly. Then there is the possibility of adding Rangers & Celtic, franchising by another name.

Where the RFL pioneer, other sports will follow. Again

Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

Good point.

Just curious.

If we ever were to go back to P&R or/and increase/abolish the salary cap could it not be done with personal guarantees from the clubs directors?

So in the event of them going bust there wouldn't be a knock on effect as other clubs become creditors getting pennies in the pound back, plus it may also focus a few minds when they are reaching for the cheque book!

To police it you could have annual credit checks for each director at which point you could set a maximum figure the club could go into debt before the RFL stepped in.

Points deductions are all fine and well, but they punish everyone but the people who were reckless in the first place who can simply walk away.

They could -that could happen to anyone. The chances are made far less likely thanks to franchising though because the RFL aren't going to allow a club who is light years behind SL clubs financially bust a gut to come up just because the won a final. It only ends in tears, as we have seen too frequently. Every so often you get a success story with teams that come up at the right time with the right structures - Hull KR being the best (only?) example in the SL era but those are few and far between IMO.

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

"It's about time this great game got re united, Bring back promotion and relegation".

It won't hapen. Stop wasting nervous energy, learn to live with it and help make it work.

Many other sports would kill for the control the RFL bring to the game and ALL the clubs voted for it. That won't happen in Soccer.

"It's about time this great game got re united, Bring back promotion and relegation".

It won't hapen. Stop wasting nervous energy, learn to live with it and help make it work.

Many other sports would kill for the control the RFL bring to the game and ALL the clubs voted for it. That won't happen in Soccer.

Quins arnt viable whatever you call them.How long have they been in sl and how many times have the rfl bailed them out.Can't see the Crusaders been viable either.Probably propped up by the same rfl.Wonder how much thier coaching bill is with Noble,Sharp and Harris.Remember when the game was hard and fair both on and off the field.Doesn't seem too fair off it these days.To be honest i'm not too bothered if a club gos up and comes straight back down.It's seems to me morally wrong to deny them the chance to have a go.

Quins arnt viable whatever you call them.How long have they been in sl and how many times have the rfl bailed them out.Can't see the Crusaders been viable either.Probably propped up by the same rfl.Wonder how much thier coaching bill is with Noble,Sharp and Harris.Remember when the game was hard and fair both on and off the field.Doesn't seem too fair off it these days.To be honest i'm not too bothered if a club gos up and comes straight back down.It's seems to me morally wrong to deny them the chance to have a go.

House!!!

Quins bail out

Crusaders spending more than earned

crusaders propped up by rfl

and morally wrong

all that's missing is a 'sold down t'river' and mention of maurice Lindsay and conspiracies

Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

House!!!

Quins bail out

Crusaders spending more than earned

crusaders propped up by rfl

and morally wrong

all that's missing is a 'sold down t'river' and mention of maurice Lindsay and conspiracies

Sorry - you didn't mention mergers. So near, yet so far:lol:

SQL Honours

Those measures are already in place aren't they, with the points deduction most recently seen by Blackpool

That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard. The fact that this season alone we have 3 clubs with points deductions shows that doesn't work. Blackpool have had their points took off them because they went chasing promotion. And that's just to get into the Championship. We could end up with a division full of clubs with points deductions.

You seem to be advocating survival of the fittest. The trouble with that is that when more clubs start going belly up, everyone will start moaning that the RFL are doing nothing to help. It's happened before and it would happen again.

I am sick to death of the RFL and the way it has ruined the game I love. Why would I pay 15 Pounds to watch a series of Friendlies where the best team is never allowed to get promoted? My team are not allowed to run a scholarship or an Academy according to the RFL-neither are any of the Championship Clubs! I see no future for my team despite maybe being very successful. The RFL just want a closed shop with Expansion teams with no structure over clubs that have been going decades. Sod it why should I waste thousand of pounds on a sport, that basically is now pointless. I will watch the NRL instead and watch the Professional game outside SL die. And I know dozens of people from various clubs have the same feeling. But the SL fans on here will say good riddance or whatever. All they care about is there club not the game as a whole.

I am sick to death of the RFL and the way it has ruined the game I love. Why would I pay 15 Pounds to watch a series of Friendlies where the best team is never allowed to get promoted? My team are not allowed to run a scholarship or an Academy according to the RFL-neither are any of the Championship Clubs! I see no future for my team despite maybe being very successful. The RFL just want a closed shop with Expansion teams with no structure over clubs that have been going decades. Sod it why should I waste thousand of pounds on a sport, that basically is now pointless. I will watch the NRL instead and watch the Professional game outside SL die. And I know dozens of people from various clubs have the same feeling. But the SL fans on here will say good riddance or whatever. All they care about is there club not the game as a whole.

Don't you think that is just a tad hypocritical? You won't watch the SL because there is no promotion or relegation and yet you will watch the NRL where there is NO promotion and relegation. Personally I'm sick to death of hypocritical numpties but maybe that's just me.

If it's only clubs trying to get promoted to the top division or trying to establish themselves in the top division who get in to huge debts then how come Man Utd are

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

I think that policy A will cause club B (about whom I am very passionate) to wither and die. My response to this is to take an action that will hasten their death?????

If you are going to threaten something, try suggesting you will hold your breath until you get what you want instead.

If it's only clubs trying to get promoted to the top division or trying to establish themselves in the top division who get in to huge debts then how come Man Utd are

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

What's wrong with just going back to one division, then we would be properly reunited.

I assume that, as a traditionalist, you would agree with this?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

If only the licences could be renewed every few years, give non S/L clubs something to aim at, maybe have lower grade S/L clubs at risk of going down.

Oh well, we can dream....

Wires record breaking 10 match run: L 16-17 ; L 34-36 ; L 24-44 ; L 20-38 ; L 8-46; L 14-26 ; L 20-40 ; L 22-48 ; L 14-20 ; L 8-60. Thanks Jimmy.The Glamour Club. Apparently.

Captain Morgan Trophy Holders.(I still think we have the British Coal 9's trophy hidden somewhere, too...)

Ooooh, the Challenge Cup!!! Thank you Tony.....

And again!!!smith_morley_small.jpg

Tipping Competiton Challenged Shield Winner 2010

What's wrong with just going back to one division, then we would be properly reunited.

I assume that, as a traditionalist, you would agree with this?

It were 1 division and winter rugby last time we beat the Aussies.... ;)

Wires record breaking 10 match run: L 16-17 ; L 34-36 ; L 24-44 ; L 20-38 ; L 8-46; L 14-26 ; L 20-40 ; L 22-48 ; L 14-20 ; L 8-60. Thanks Jimmy.The Glamour Club. Apparently.

Captain Morgan Trophy Holders.(I still think we have the British Coal 9's trophy hidden somewhere, too...)

Ooooh, the Challenge Cup!!! Thank you Tony.....

And again!!!smith_morley_small.jpg

Tipping Competiton Challenged Shield Winner 2010

I've heard people bleeting about my club will die if the RFL don't do this that an' t'other for years. The only thing that kills clubs is spending more money than they can earn.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Quins arnt viable whatever you call them.How long have they been in sl and how many times have the rfl bailed them out.

I don't think they ever have, but if you have evidence to the contrary I'd love to hear it.

Can't see the Crusaders been viable either.Probably propped up by the same rfl.

See above

Wonder how much thier coaching bill is with Noble,Sharp and Harris.

How is this relevant?

Remember when the game was hard and fair both on and off the field.

The words Maurice Bamford uses in his biography of Kevin Ashcroft are "vicious, cynical, brutal, nasty". I was watching then also and hard and fair it wasn't. Nor did coppers rule the streets with a kind word and a clip round the ear, but you probably believe that too.

Doesn't seem too fair off it these days.To be honest i'm not too bothered if a club gos up and comes straight back down.It's seems to me morally wrong to deny them the chance to have a go.

Thereby bankrupting themselves and condeming their supporters to years of misery or, worse still, the loss of their team.

What do you think about scrummaging by the way? Winter rugby maybe?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.