Batley Bulldogs v Roche Hornets.

RogerT

Ref: Mr C Straw,

Fox's Biscuit Stadium, Batley.

K.O 15.00hrs.

Pay on the gate.

Same price through out the ground.

You are all welcome, and it's been a good few years since we last saw you.

Cheers Roger(Batley fan).

Cannot believe we surrendered a 36-12 lead in the second half to lose at the death 38-36!  It was hard enough following it from afar -  the travelling faithful, team and coach must be shell shocked, to say the least.  Congrats to Batley for their fight back, but after our great start, yet again we did not do ourselves any favours by conceding 18, yes eighteen penalties to their 7 - and 2 yellow cards (to their 1), the last yellow having helped to give Batley extra momentum in the final 10 minutes. Apparently, there could have been some doubt about the winning try, but I guess no doubt about the popularity of the ref, especially from Hornets perspective.  It should have been celebrations for a fine Hornets win, but not to lose in this way after that start!  Need to sort that discipline now and take refs out of the equation, or we are going to suffer again.

17 minutes ago, glemiln said:

Need to sort that discipline now and take refs out of the equation, or we are going to suffer again.

It would have been impossible to take this ref out of the equation. He seemed to be on an ego trip. He was a young ref who was out of his depth. I've seen him before and why the R.F.L. persist with him I don't know.. We played some good rugby and the dual reg players gave 100%.

14 minutes ago, Pedro said:

It would have been impossible to take this ref out of the equation. He seemed to be on an ego trip. He was a young ref who was out of his depth. I've seen him before and why the R.F.L. persist with him I don't know.. We played some good rugby and the dual reg players gave 100%.

Well, I've seen worse refereeing performances, but this one certainly liked the sound of his whistle.

I thought you lot were the better team for the majority of the game and played some delightful rugby at times.

Poor discipline cost you that game. Only yourselves to blame.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur

Yes I agree, Rochdale played some brilliant fast open rugby and it was a joy to watch, yes both sets of fans where aggrieved by some of the mystifying decisions from the ref but he is young and trying his best at least one of the touch judges was trying to help him and that as got to be applauded.

Batley dug deep to get the win.

Cheers Roger(Batley fan). 

Just now, mickhornet said:

Strraw was diabolical,He handed it to Batley,not fit to ref an under 12 absolute  garbage he should be fired.

How did he do that?

You threw it away! You were so much in control, then threw it away with a complete loss of discipline! You were put on a team warning then stupidly, Smith gets himself penalised! You then ran out of steam badly in the last quarter! Despite how poorly we played, we outscored you by two tries!

You played so well, you had no reason to get involved in the rough stuff!

1 minute ago, mickhornet said:

Your lot were leading with your elbows.Straw ignored every dirty trick.

Nonsense, he saw plenty of yours. As l said, there was no reason for your team to do the rough stuff! It seems to be a recurring pattern!

Just now, mickhornet said:

Nonsense 

NONSENSE

What is? That he saw plenty of your dirty plays? Really? What was the penalty count? You had how many sin binnings?

Or it is a recurring pattern? How did you advertise the Toulouse match? The thread title after the London match?

You are in serious denial I am afraid.

5 minutes ago, mickhornet said:

Your lot were leading with your elbows.Straw ignored every dirty trick.

Dirty dirty Batley!!!

;)

"you never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man." - Vince Lombardi.

4 minutes ago, mickhornet said:

Nonsense 

NONSENSE

Time to put the falling down juice away and go to beddy byes.

"you never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man." - Vince Lombardi.

39 minutes ago, mickhornet said:

Strraw was diabolical,He handed it to Batley,not fit to ref an under 12 absolute  garbage he should be fired.

If yours and our players hadn't held Smith back from attacking Straw at the end he'd be on a life ban now. strange how teams with bad discipline hate the refs. Thought the Hornets played some excellent rugby today. Looked good all over the park. Sort the discipline and youll be top 6 contenders. 

6 hours ago, glemiln said:

Cannot believe we surrendered a 36-12 lead in the second half to lose at the death 38-36!  It was hard enough following it from afar -  the travelling faithful, team and coach must be shell shocked, to say the least.  Congrats to Batley for their fight back, but after our great start, yet again we did not do ourselves any favours by conceding 18, yes eighteen penalties to their 7 - and 2 yellow cards (to their 1), the last yellow having helped to give Batley extra momentum in the final 10 minutes. Apparently, there could have been some doubt about the winning try, but I guess no doubt about the popularity of the ref, especially from Hornets perspective.  It should have been celebrations for a fine Hornets win, but not to lose in this way after that start!  Need to sort that discipline now and take refs out of the equation, or we are going to suffer again.

Not sure you could blame the ref. He wasn't great, but you could've and probably should have had 2 sent off for particularly bad high shots, apart from the 2 yellow cards. The final try was knocked down by your guy and was not a knock on, but we were really fortunate that it just bounced up right in to Lillicrops hands.

1 hour ago, DOGFATHER said:

Not sure you could blame the ref. He wasn't great, but you could've and probably should have had 2 sent off for particularly bad high shots, apart from the 2 yellow cards

Batley were not behind the door with high shots but seemed to get away with them. The Batley player yellow carded should have been given a red card. All I want from a referee is that he applies the same rules to both sides. It seems that we have been given a bad name and  referees like Straw prejudge us. 

I wasn't in the best position to see Brown's in all honesty. But the high shot on Rowe that lifted him off his feet looked pretty bad as was the one committed by Livett, neither of which resulted in a card, but both really should have been marched off IMHO. 

It really wasn't the ref that was the difference between the sides today. You weren't fit enough, that was the difference. You had to resort to giving penalties away because defensively you were shot late in both halves, so it was a case of doing anything to break up the momentum and have a rest and regroup.

The amount a feigned head injuries your team cynically used today to slow the game down, was frankly a bit of an embarrassment.

Unfit sides, have to do it to try and level the playing field, but the sooner the officials make players leave the field straight away and stay off for a minimum of two minutes without the use of a substitute, to stamp out sides from spoiling the game, the better.

Those tactics are killing the game as a spectator sport.

We were no better a couple of seasons ago, Byron Smith was a master at it. ;) 

I love a conspiracy theory as much as anyone, but not every ref could have it in for you. There has to be a time when you realise it's your players and not the officials.

That's exactly why Bentham was appointed to ref the Hornets v TO game, to stop the anti-rugby tactics. Yep, Rochdale do have a bad reputation now it seems which is a pity cos' when they play flowing rl they look a good side.

7 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

I wasn't in the best position to see Brown's in all honesty. But the high shot on Rowe that lifted him off his feet looked pretty bad as was the one committed by Livett, neither of which resulted in a card, but both really should have been marched off IMHO. 

It really wasn't the ref that was the difference between the sides today. You weren't fit enough, that was the difference. You had to resort to giving penalties away because defensively you were shot late in both halves, so it was a case of doing anything to break up the momentum and have a rest and regroup.

The amount a feigned head injuries your team cynically used today to slow the game down, was frankly a bit of an embarrassment.

Unfit sides, have to do it to try and level the playing field, but the sooner the officials make players leave the field straight away and stay off for a minimum of two minutes without the use of a substitute, to stamp out sides from spoiling the game, the better.

Those tactics are killing the game as a spectator sport.

We were no better a couple of seasons ago, Byron Smith was a master at it. ;) 

I love a conspiracy theory as much as anyone, but not every ref could have it in for you. There has to be a time when you realise it's your players and not the officials.

A 19/7 penalty count in Batleys favour indicates a one eyed ref.That was the reason you won.The blatantly ignored knock on for Batleys winning try proved it.

5 minutes ago, mickhornet said:

A 19/7 penalty count in Batleys favour indicates a one eyed ref.That was the reason you won.The blatantly ignored knock on for Batleys winning try proved it.

Your player knocked Brambani's pass down, hence it looked like a knock a on, but definitely wasn't a knock on.

Penalty count shows a lack of discipline. If you had not committed offences, the ref couldn't penalise you. ;)

Come on, you guys can't honestly believe every ref in the league has it in for you, surely?

38 minutes ago, mickhornet said:

Video definitely shows your guy knocked it back! Ref was right next to the incident and his one eye clearly saw what happened. Do you honestly think that with the 'characters' in your team, that if he got it wrong, they wouldn't have said anything?

A 19-7 penalty count indicates a very ill disciplined team. As above, don't commit the offences - don't get penalised! 

13 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

Not sure you could blame the ref. He wasn't great, but...

I didn't and apparently he wasn't, but the sheer number of penalties against us clearly influenced the result. Were Batley really 3 times better disciplined than we were?   Certainly we have an escalating discipline problem - either by deed or adjudged by reputation - which is costing us dearly.  It has to be addressed by all parties involved before it does real damage to the club. Reports indicate that we played some great rugby Sunday, which hopefully can be replicated, with firm defence, over the Easter period. A heartbreaking defeat, but Onwards Hornets.

Archived