Deadline day

Tony F

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Tony F said:

Do we need to strengthen the squad in any positions prior to the transfer deadline? We're in a great position to make the Shield final, and a few shrewd acquisitions would surely reinforce our chances. 

I'm not so sure, I can see it both ways.

The "hub cap" is a piece of silverware, so part of me thinks we should go all out for it and do what we can to win it.

But, when all said and done, it is essentially a trophy for coming in fifth place over the season, so it is a pointless and worthless competition, with very little meaning other than perhaps a bit of prize money and a few extra fixtures to bulk the number of league games out.

It might be better to save money and put it towards strengthening next years side instead. Then again, is it worth starting the rebuilding process now, get the players used to playing with each other, prior to next season and using the next 7 games as friendlies so we can hit the ground running for next season?

I suppose the £64 Million dollar question is, who is available currently that would strengthen us? 

We need some pace, we are sadly lacking in it currently. Ainscough, Scott and Rettie do a great job and they have all had good seasons so far. But none of them are really quick enough if we want to compete with the best sides in the division and challenge for a top 4 place. Playing all 3 in the same side leaves us badly exposed for pace.

We have a great halfback pairing in Walker and Brambani, but again both lack pace, so we could do with a quick halfback. But you can't leave Patch out of the side imo for his organisation, leadership and kicking game. So he needs to play at loose forward. However, the pack then looks a bit too small if you do that. We then probably need a big tackle busting second rower to balance the pack out. Again, Manning, Farrell and Day have all been very good this season, but none of them are really big enough if you play Walker at loose forward, we look a bit one-dimensional especially as we have Lillicrop at prop. We also need another prop, as we only have 4 recognised ones currently, so we will struggle if one gets injured.

There are very few quick halfbacks about in the country, the only one who might be gettable, and it is only a might is Oscar Thomas at Bradford. He seems to be getting a bit of stick from the Bradford faithful, he was playing at fullback on Sunday against us, but I'm sure he is halfback really. He might be able to do us a job as the pacey halfback we need. However, he is full time and won't come cheap, but won't be as expensive as say Thackray, Ford or Sammut. But then again, unless we spend big on a halfback, we are looking at the likes of a Gareth Moore, Scott Leatherbarrow or Lewis Palfrey, none of whom were good enough when they were with us earlier in their careers and aren't as good as Walker.

Grant Gore  at Swinton might be another HB worth punt, he's always impressed me when I've seen him, but I haven't really seen enough of him to know for sure if he would improve us significantly enough to get us fighting for a top 4 spot. 

I thought Campbell looked good against us again, but has he fully recovered from his injury. He has missed a lot of this season, but I don't know whether it is on form or through a recurrence of injury?

I think Diskin has already stated in the papers, we are not looking to strengthen for this season though. 

49 minutes ago, DOGFATHER said:

The "hub cap" is a piece of silverware, so part of me thinks we should go all out for it and do what we can to win it.

But, when all said and done, it is essentially a trophy for coming in fifth place over the season, so it is a pointless and worthless competition, with very little meaning other than perhaps a bit of prize money and a few extra fixtures to bulk the number of league games out.

It might be better to save money and put it towards strengthening next years side instead. Then again, is it worth starting the rebuilding process now, get the players used to playing with each other, prior to next season and using the next 7 games as friendlies so we can hit the ground running for next season?

I suppose the £64 Million dollar question is, who is available currently that would strengthen us? 

We need some pace, we are sadly lacking in it currently. Ainscough, Scott and Rettie do a great job and they have all had good seasons so far. But none of them are really quick enough if we want to compete with the best sides in the division and challenge for a top 4 place. Playing all 3 in the same side leaves us badly exposed for pace.

We have a great halfback pairing in Walker and Brambani, but again both lack pace, so we could do with a quick halfback. But you can't leave Patch out of the side imo for his organisation, leadership and kicking game. So he needs to play at loose forward. However, the pack then looks a bit too small if you do that. We then probably need a big tackle busting second rower to balance the pack out. Again, Manning, Farrell and Day have all been very good this season, but none of them are really big enough if you play Walker at loose forward, we look a bit one-dimensional especially as we have Lillicrop at prop. We also need another prop, as we only have 4 recognised ones currently, so we will struggle if one gets injured.

There are very few quick halfbacks about in the country, the only one who might be gettable, and it is only a might is Oscar Thomas at Bradford. He seems to be getting a bit of stick from the Bradford faithful, he was playing at fullback on Sunday against us, but I'm sure he is halfback really. He might be able to do us a job as the pacey halfback we need. However, he is full time and won't come cheap, but won't be as expensive as say Thackray, Ford or Sammut. But then again, unless we spend big on a halfback, we are looking at the likes of a Gareth Moore, Scott Leatherbarrow or Lewis Palfrey, none of whom were good enough when they were with us earlier in their careers and aren't as good as Walker.

Grant Gore  at Swinton might be another HB worth punt, he's always impressed me when I've seen him, but I haven't really seen enough of him to know for sure if he would improve us significantly enough to get us fighting for a top 4 spot. 

I thought Campbell looked good against us again, but has he fully recovered from his injury. He has missed a lot of this season, but I don't know whether it is on form or through a recurrence of injury?

I think Diskin has already stated in the papers, we are not looking to strengthen for this season though. 

Think you are a bit harsh with Gareth Moore, would have liked him to stop with us as could open up defences and a great kicking game from hand as well as from ground, agree about the other two though.

Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

45 minutes ago, redditchbulldog said:

Think you are a bit harsh with Gareth Moore, would have liked him to stop with us as could open up defences and a great kicking game from hand as well as from ground, agree about the other two though.

i agree with redditch, imo of course i always thought young moore played a good part in our team when he was with us.

Yes, I agree about Moore! I know there were plenty of rumours about his effect on the dressing room, but I think he made our team better so was worth his place! 

On Dogfather's posting, a few things! Thomas was really poor against us, particularly defensively. If Ainscough lacks pace, then Thomas certainly does, as he was skinned by Ainscough for one of Scott's tries.

I read recently that there are doubts about Gore's future due to injury, though I seem to remember him opening us up a few times at the Mount - was it just last season?

I think Farrell has been a success this season in the second row, and could easily cope as a LF, which if Day and Manning were in the second row would be as good as most back rows in the division, but that means Walker not playing, which is a no-no at the moment!

I still think a pacy centre or two would not go amiss, but neither would they at any club if the wishlists of many club's supporters is anything to go by on here!

Still, lots to ponder, rumours to spread and signings to discuss before the start of next season!

1 hour ago, DOGFATHER said:

You don't seem to be factoring in those players that might leave or retire at the season's end.

Now that there has been a change at Fev then I would expect Briggs to be moving on in the close season - might he be one for you, or would he cost too much?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

15 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

You don't seem to be factoring in those players that might leave or retire at the season's end.

Now that there has been a change at Fev then I would expect Briggs to be moving on in the close season - might he be one for you, or would he cost too much?

Depends! Does he want more than we offered Danny McGuire?

I guess we all see things a little differently.

(especially from our armchairs in the West Midlands)   Sorry Redditch, I couldn't resist. ;)

I'm not saying Moore is a bad player, he is a decent mid table championship HB, but no more than that. If we are aiming for top 4, Moore isn't the answer, it would be a backwards step.

The problem with Moore, like most halfbacks in the division, he lacks pace. Same can be said for Kyle Briggs for that matter, even if he is only asking for 4 pints and a pie as his match terms. 

Neither Briggs nor Moore would add anything to us imo, because there strengths are very similar to Brambani's, but to me neither is as good or significantly better than Dom.

Would any of you swap either of them for Walker or Brambani? I know I wouldn't.

To me, Walker is a better organiser, and Brambani is a stronger kicker and is a bit faster, he does occasionally dart through a gap to score. In Moore's previous spells with us, my over-riding memory was, he was capable of creating a gap, but when he went for it he was always tackled before he could exploit it.

I must have missed the one where Ainy skinned Thomas, but my memory isn't what it was ;) I grant you it was a woeful attempt at a tackle. But IIRC he was in attendance when Ainy passed the ball to Scott for his try near the try line, but I agree his tackling is not the best, but then again, most HB's are not renowned for their defense.

44 minutes ago, distantdog said:

Yes, I agree about Moore! I know there were plenty of rumours about his effect on the dressing room, but I think he made our team better so was worth his place! 

On Dogfather's posting, a few things! Thomas was really poor against us, particularly defensively. If Ainscough lacks pace, then Thomas certainly does, as he was skinned by Ainscough for one of Scott's tries.

I read recently that there are doubts about Gore's future due to injury, though I seem to remember him opening us up a few times at the Mount - was it just last season?

I think Farrell has been a success this season in the second row, and could easily cope as a LF, which if Day and Manning were in the second row would be as good as most back rows in the division, but that means Walker not playing, which is a no-no at the moment!

I still think a pacy centre or two would not go amiss, but neither would they at any club if the wishlists of many club's supporters is anything to go by on here!

Still, lots to ponder, rumours to spread and signings to discuss before the start of next season!

Gore impressed me when he was at Whitehaven too, I hope the lad shakes his injury off, it would be a shame to lose a lad with that ability from the game.

I'd maybe give Holmes a go, because I don't think we saw the best of him earlier in the season and he is obviously very capable. He was invariably playing behind a beaten pack then and the forwards are playing much better now. His best performance was at Sheffield away, when the forwards were on top.

Although, I'm not sure it is worth breaking up a proven halfback pairing or disrupting a winning team, we have won 6 out of the last 7, so I think it tough call to mess with a winning formula.

22 minutes ago, Batley Bob said:

Hallett n hill are both back off loan , and holmes and maher will still be available if required in middle 8s , so who is available that would improve us ?

Hallett? Thought he had gone permanently?? Holmes and Maher are theoretically available because they have played enough games but once they play in the end of season games they cannot move between clubs. So I imagine Cas will not allow them to play in case they are needed there.

36 minutes ago, Batley Bob said:

Hallett n hill are both back off loan , and holmes and maher will still be available if required in middle 8s , so who is available that would improve us ?

Hallets back off loan  thought was swap for crookes??

WHERE DO YOU WANT ME TO SWIPE THIS?

Good player Knowles and can still do a job them 5 aside pitches must be pouring money into dewsbury speed their spending it! Signing 50 players and replacing the coaching staff must have cost a bob or two!

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

Honestly why mess about with the team again now, just go with what we have got and sort it out in the close season.

1 hour ago, DOGFATHER said:

He's a decent signing, I'm a bit surprised Fev have got rid, it makes you wonder if there really are money troubles at Fev and that is behind the departure of him and Sharpe. 

It's the timings of things at Fev that is the strange thing.  Reckon they're accepting no progress in super 8s. 

WHERE DO YOU WANT ME TO SWIPE THIS?

Archived