Shopping list then

Robin Evans

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We know what type of players we need i.e  stand off ( goal kicker ) due to Briggs being injury prone and a couple of decent forwards plus a full back to cover for Hardman who has done us proud but ain't getting any younger but the trouble is I don't fancy any in the Championship so we may need to look at the NRL feeder clubs with good advice from an experienced scout who lives over there at bargain prices for we cannot afford anything decent from the SL.As for my outs its a personal thing really and there are probably a lot of people will disagree but here goes OUT Duckworth ,Moore ,Griffin ,Lockwood,Wildie and Richardson

56 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

A lot probably depends on how many of our senior guys fancy another year (or more). Griff, Moore and Misi are all 35+.Bostock will be nearly 33 and Hardo 32 when the new season kicks in. For me most if not all are up to another season, if they fancy it.

Out of that selection, Moore and Griff really showing those years IMO.

1 minute ago, saddleworth said:

Out of that selection, Moore and Griff really showing those years IMO.

I think Moore has gone ok though I have had the impression he'd been asked to rein in the offloads, which is where he's most dangerous for me.

Earlier in the season i would have agreed with you about Griffin, however he has played pretty well over the last month or two (check the MOTM nomination threads, his name has been cropping up quite a bit). That said, he doesn't seem to do big minutes very often, so it's hard to say if we are getting value without knowing how much he's being paid in relation to other players.

I would like a fully fit Kyle Briggs in the form he was at the back end of last season. If that cannot be guaranteed we should cut our losses and go for another creative half back who can kick as well as Barthau, Brambani et al. Ian is a revelation with the kicking tee and he says it is all down to practice (he used to kick goals as a junior), and since he took over the captaincy he's been as safe as houses, but we could do with a utility who can cover several positions including full back. I thought that would have been Briscoe, but since he came back from suspension then injury he's been a pale shadow of the player he was earlier in the season, his defending of kicks has been poor and his confidence has been shattered. He needs to get back to his best in the 8's or a replacement will be needed. So yes, I would love Will Sharp back, but not as first choice full back.

1 minute ago, Lee Caswell said:

Rob Burrows-tempt him for a season with the town that gave him a part of what he's become?!!

Maybe Ian Hardman could convince him that you can combine a coaching role at Rhinos while playing part-time at Fev?

3 hours ago, lingard said:

Wouldn't you have willing sharp back? 

At Fax next season. Also sounds like the Heaton deal was never actually a done deal and he could now stay. Its normally not long after this time that your chairman decides he wants Murrell and makes a silly offer.

Realistically in the championship there are not that many standout players available especially in the forwards so we are left with older end SL players like you have or take a chance on young kids. Like take Bradford out of the equation and below Toulouse I cant actually think of a forward that any of the top 5 would go after. Half backs are probably even slimmer pickings with only Yates at Rochdale and White at Swinton who I think could do a job higher up the league. In the backs I think maybe George Tyson has the ability to do well at this level but outside him Im struggling.

53 minutes ago, Steve Slater said:

I would like a fully fit Kyle Briggs in the form he was at the back end of last season. If that cannot be guaranteed we should cut our losses and go for another creative half back who can kick as well as Barthau, Brambani et al. Ian is a revelation with the kicking tee and he says it is all down to practice (he used to kick goals as a junior), and since he took over the captaincy he's been as safe as houses, but we could do with a utility who can cover several positions including full back. I thought that would have been Briscoe, but since he came back from suspension then injury he's been a pale shadow of the player he was earlier in the season, his defending of kicks has been poor and his confidence has been shattered. He needs to get back to his best in the 8's or a replacement will be needed. So yes, I would love Will Sharp back, but not as first choice full back.

Maybe Briggs has been fully fit all season.  Who knows ?!

A utility back with a good kicking game would be top of the list for me but given past signings especially in the last few years its difficult to say what's going to work.  Craven seemed to be a great addition to the squad last year in that role but showed little.

Even this year looking at the 'new' players (Briscoe, Ulugia,Walton, Mariano, Moore, Hardcastle, Carlile, Wildie) you could argue that the 'biggest' signings were the least impressive.  So there's always a risk.

We'll just need to trust in Duffy in getting the right people in....... or those that can keep MC happy at least.  

I hope it's a case of strengthening though rather the usual end of season swap shop.

1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

At Fax next season. Also sounds like the Heaton deal was never actually a done deal and he could now stay. Its normally not long after this time that your chairman decides he wants Murrell and makes a silly offer.

Realistically in the championship there are not that many standout players available especially in the forwards so we are left with older end SL players like you have or take a chance on young kids. Like take Bradford out of the equation and below Toulouse I cant actually think of a forward that any of the top 5 would go after. Half backs are probably even slimmer pickings with only Yates at Rochdale and White at Swinton who I think could do a job higher up the league. In the backs I think maybe George Tyson has the ability to do well at this level but outside him Im struggling.

Don't you rate any of the Batley forwards then Blues Ox?

9 hours ago, Steve Slater said:

Don't you rate any of the Batley forwards then Blues Ox?

Not really, I think they have been bang average all season. The season before obviously they had a few that you would take. No point bringing Manning back to be a high payed reserve player. :)

46 minutes ago, Auntie Ruth said:

Out: Moore, Lockwood, Hardman, Griffin, Ulugia, Taulapapa

Improvement needed: Briscoe, Mariano, Johnson

In: Canet, Hepi

Quite close to my selections.Would disagree with you about  Ulugia as I think hes our best centre who tends to score ugly tries out of nothing.Was considering Misi in my out column as for me he never breaks any pots and is knocking on but he keeps getting a lot of mom votes so he cant be doing too much wrong.

13 hours ago, Lee Caswell said:

Rob Burrows-tempt him for a season with the town that gave him a part of what he's become?!!

He's got a coaching job at Leeds plus injuries 

15 minutes ago, Blue Pike said:

Quite close to my selections.Would disagree with you about  Ulugia as I think hes our best centre who tends to score ugly tries out of nothing.Was considering Misi in my out column as for me he never breaks any pots and is knocking on but he keeps getting a lot of mom votes so he cant be doing too much wrong.

Unfortunately most of the players I have chosen don't have age on their side, I think Misi is a brilliant motivated, nurturer, but imo he's passed his best, but we need someone with his commitment. Ulugia for me has had an "OK" season, unfortunately had a couple of nasty injuries, which, inevitably effects psyche. 

15 minutes ago, Bazzer said:

Can' believe people want rid of Ian. Still good enough for us.

Some parts of his game are still good enough, but some are dire, half hearted attempts at tackling are not acceptable, imo when Fev are in command of a game, he comes in to the line more, but when it's tough, he blends into the background for me, safe under the high ball,  it as a fullback, he should be, but lacks commitment in defence for me.....

20 minutes ago, Auntie Ruth said:

Some parts of his game are still good enough, but some are dire, half hearted attempts at tackling are not acceptable, imo when Fev are in command of a game, he comes in to the line more, but when it's tough, he blends into the background for me, safe under the high ball,  it as a fullback, he should be, but lacks commitment in defence for me.....

That's very harsh. Granted he was outmuscled in a couple of tackles at Toulouse, and he struggled a bit at times in the middle 8s last year, but there's a lot to be said for his positional sense and reliability at full back, at Championship level at least.

It's just my opinion, I've seen it in quite a few games, like I said, some parts of his game are still good enough at Championship level, but for me more commitment is needed, agreed at times a fullback is left 2 on 1 when the line is broken.  I've only seen a handful of fully committed tackles, although his goal kicking has been quite a revelation, but still stick to my original thoughts....

Archived