Newcastle Thunder should be a SL club

11 hours ago, Hemi4561 said:

Small Photo, how many times does it have to be spelled out for you, if that's your vision make it happen, with others that share your vision of a "super" league. Many people will see your present desire for what it is, a sham. When there is a strong domestic league in Canada, North America, France, et al, with meaningful participation in terms of clubs, player numbers, development of players through a pathway that is genuine, unlike Perez's promises, then maybe, just maybe, there may be a place for a super league, the top 2 or 3 in their competitions playing in a trans national competition. But, first "do no harm", whatever you do must not have a negative impact on the clubs that already exist, they aren't there to facilitate your aspirations, and most importantly I don't give a flying Canuck about your dreams, they're not mine. I support Rugby League home and away at all levels every possible weekend and have done for 30 years but the least important level is internationals, and your not as realised as yet pipedreams, from my point of view my focus is ground up, not clouds down.

Well if you don't want Toronto, Toulouse and whoever else comes after them in the top tier of your existing pro league, where else do you want them to be?  Don't say "domestic pro leagues in their own countries" because that's not in the cards.

While you're thinking about how to answer my question, consider that les Dragons catalans are about to lose Fouad Yaha to a Top14 team which has a salary cap equal to the Dragons' whole budget for a season.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

Pretty sure at the time no guarantees were given that clubs would be automatically promoted.

Yes there was. It was one up one down, RFL shifted the goalposts when the likes of Dewsbury & Hunslet were knocking on the door

18 hours ago, The Daddy said:

They've pretty much got the backbone and structure of a decent SL club. If I were the SL clubs I would be doing everything to get Newcastle into SL.

- A good academy team and youth players in the first team 

- A SL standard stadium 

- An operation which runs an already successful RU club 

- Good marketing and management team

- Great links with local and university grass roots team 

- Good amateur scene in the region 

- Big city brand matching Robert Elstone's vision of a sport tapping into the UK's northern powerhouse economy 

- Enhances SLs image with the inclusion of a big city and regional team 

- Extends the sports national footprint

Some kind of Tyneside Super League franchise......

.....it is an original idea!

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Why is that not "in" the cards? Surely strong well supported domestic leagues in countries that play RL, with ongoing domestic player development, is genuine expansion. This is then backed up by a true "super" league on a pan border basis similar to the Champions league in football, where the participants are selected based on their performance in their domestic league. I will say it again, the reality is that I support RL, on the ground, and I suspect that many other people may feel the same way, my support is never going to encompass multiple overseas jaunts to far flung corners of the globe every year to watch rich men's vanity projects, especially if they are directly or indirectly adversely affecting the clubs that I do go to watch. How many away games have you attended, how many games have you attended as a neutral just because a game was being played?

We will be in the Super League only when we achieve promotion through the divisions. There is a P&R Structure in place so every team in theory has a chance to make it there one day

We are focused on growing the club, the fan base and more importantly growing our community game in the region 

We are one of only three clubs outside of the Super League that funds and operates a full scholarship and academy system that combined with our work and running of the community game will set us in good stead if/when we move up the divisions 

7 minutes ago, Newcastle Thunder said:

We will be in the Super League only when we achieve promotion through the divisions. There is a P&R Structure in place so every team in theory has a chance to make it there one day

We are focused on growing the club, the fan base and more importantly growing our community game in the region 

We are one of only three clubs outside of the Super League that funds and operates a full scholarship and academy system that combined with our work and running of the community game will set us in good stead if/when we move up the divisions 

Well that post does it. Thunder confirmed as my second team, absolutely and unequivocably. No contest.  Go Thunder!

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wise people so full of doubts.

Bury your memories; bury your friends. Leave it alone for a year or two.  Till the stories grow hazy, and the legends come true.  Then do it again - some things never end.

4 hours ago, Spidey said:

Yes there was. It was one up one down, RFL shifted the goalposts when the likes of Dewsbury & Hunslet were knocking on the door

I am not sure how much trust Salford had in the RFL with them being denied promotion the year before despite finishing 7 points clear.  I think the worry was they could introduce criteria that would have ruled out Salford's ageing ground.

I don't think the merger talk at the time with Oldham helped.    

Particularly if it meant saving a franchise option club.

But I believe a one up one route did exist.   

6 minutes ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

I am not sure how much trust Salford had in the RFL with them being denied promotion the year before despite finishing 7 points clear.  I think the worry was they could introduce criteria that would have ruled out Salford's ageing ground.

I don't think the merger talk at the time with Oldham helped.    

Particularly if it meant saving a franchise option club.

But I believe a one up one route did exist.   

Same at Widnes for me, but it did happen. Plenty of 1up 1downs occurred (except for Huddersfield who finished bottom a few years on the bounce)

49 minutes ago, Newcastle Thunder said:

I like everything I see from Newcastle. Literally building from the bottom up the right way and seem to be doing an excellent job in non heartland territory. It would be great to see them progress up to SL

54 minutes ago, Newcastle Thunder said:

Just out of interest do you think a newly formed Gateshead club would help or hinder Newcastle Thunder ?

5 minutes ago, saintspete83 said:

I like everything I see from Newcastle. Literally building from the bottom up the right way and seem to be doing an excellent job in non heartland territory. It would be great to see them progress up to SL

And I liked - loved - what I saw on the park when they played Bradford at Newcastle. We won, but Thunder gave us one hell of a game. And put on a real show, on and off the park. Very impressive.

League 1 has been the most amazing eye-opener, IMO. I think an experience most Bulls fans will say they are very glad to have been part of?  Some SL sides - or, more to the point, their owners -  should try it - they might just be likewise amazed!  ?

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wise people so full of doubts.

Bury your memories; bury your friends. Leave it alone for a year or two.  Till the stories grow hazy, and the legends come true.  Then do it again - some things never end.

7 minutes ago, jpmc said:

Just out of interest do you think a newly formed Gateshead club would help or hinder Newcastle Thunder ?

More to the point, what about a newly-formed club on Wearside? Geordies vs Makems...forget East and West Hull, there would not be a RL derby to match it!

3 minutes ago, Adeybull said:

More to the point, what about a newly-formed club on Wearside? Geordies vs Makems...forget East and West Hull, there would not be a RL derby to match it!

That would be another giant step forward for the sport.Is there any RL in Sunderland at the moment?

We know theres a few hundred fans in Gateshead should a club start up again.

27 minutes ago, Adeybull said:

That wouldn’t be a derby though. It would just be a match between two cities near each other. :ninja:

rldfsignature.jpg

1 minute ago, deluded pom? said:

That wouldn’t be a derby though. It would just be a match between two cities near each other. :ninja:

You ever been up there? Sunderland/Newcastle is as big a derby as it gets, anywhere. Its like Leeds/Bradford or Wigan/Saints, or Wire/Chemics, let alone East and West Hull, but with serious attitude. Prob most lke Leeds/Bradford, since it is one big contiguous urban area, rather than Wigan/Saints with Billinge Lump in between.  Personally, I love the Geordies and Makems - and I just LOVE the rivalry. Bring it on!!!

12 minutes ago, Adeybull said:

You ever been up there? Sunderland/Newcastle is as big a derby as it gets, anywhere. Its like Leeds/Bradford or Wigan/Saints, or Wire/Chemics, let alone East and West Hull, but with serious attitude. Prob most lke Leeds/Bradford, since it is one big contiguous urban area, rather than Wigan/Saints with Billinge Lump in between.  Personally, I love the Geordies and Makems - and I just LOVE the rivalry. Bring it on!!!

My mams family is Geordie and to say there’s no love lost is , err , an understatement! Like us and haven just not quite so bad ...

5 minutes ago, DavidM said:

My mams family is Geordie and to say there’s no love lost is , err , an understatement! Like us and haven just not quite so bad ...

Sorry, yes, should have put West Cumbria at the top of the list! I know they hide it well, but Haven and Town seem not to be the best of mates, for sure!

46 minutes ago, DavidM said:

It might not be as bad in your eyes but its a awful lot bigger

1 hour ago, saintspete83 said:

Other than them playing with RU markings rather than RL markings at home, I agree with you.

11 hours ago, Newcastle Thunder said:

Keep up the good work! Thoroughly enjoyed the day at Thunder yesterday.

23 minutes ago, Newcastle Thunder said:

It’s a dual marked pitch with both RL and RU lines on

makea sense with it being 4G 

Considering the name on their account. They’re not looking at the “Big Picture” ?

Its perfectly acceptable to 99% of RL fans

6 hours ago, Newcastle Thunder said:

It’s a dual marked pitch with both RL and RU lines on

makea sense with it being 4G 

I watched your home match against Toronto last year and your home match against Bradford this year which were both on Youtube.  As anyone can see, in both matches there were only RU lines.

Archived