The Great British Bake Off

My lemon drizzle cake was unplaced in the Men Only category of Otley Show again this year

There were 21 entrants, Ill never get to the top, there must be a glass ceiling

Im considering walking away from baking altogether

My mate's Yorkshire Curd Tart was again unplaced as well (although his pastry was carp)

We should get together and break away

I won first place in the Whitcombe and Bentham flower show in 1988 for my butterfly cakes. I think I annoyed the other entrants when they found out I was a 10 year old child and not a member of the WI. My mother trained as a baker and taught me from a young age.

Fides invicta triumphat

I won first place in the Whitcombe and Bentham flower show in 1988 for my butterfly cakes.

I don't think I expected anyone on this forum to ever say this.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I won first place in the Whitcombe and Bentham flower show in 1988 for my butterfly cakes. I think I annoyed the other entrants when they found out I was a 10 year old child and not a member of the WI. My mother trained as a baker and taught me from a young age.

Chapeau

Were you lottery funded?

Mousy Cathryn to win.

That posh tw*t Stuart who ballsed up should have gone.

if she can avoid a complete and catastrophic mental collapse while on air, you may be right.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

• 1 month later...

Brendan is a very good baker but boy is he smug and patronising. Felt sorry for James as he had been the standout baker throughout the series but his lack of pragmatism let him down.

First series I've watched of this show and it is what the BBC do best. No fake build up of tension, no fancy editing just put on a competition and film it. Mel and Sue are fine hosts.

Fides invicta triumphat

And the winner is.... John, the Wigganer!

Glad it wasn't Brendan, there was just something about him - slightly smug IMO.

Ironic as John did a 'Leeds', he was nowhere near and constantly bumbled through with mediocrity, until his final doodah cake. It was the same with Jo last series, a bit sh*t and then did a few good bakes.

Brendan was my (later) choice when my original pick bummed out, but Mary said something very telling, Brendan excelled on things he could practice and fell a bit short on the Technicals, which is a fair point. He was still the better of the last 5 or 6, nevermind 3.

If only to remind yourself what utter pomposity he has, it's like reading Thinking Aloud in RLW; write not much substance but change every other word with the synonym function to sound a bit clevererer, sorry cerebral.

Sorry no, I tried I really did. Can you summarise what he is actually trying to say.

To nutshell the whole thing, he finds it refreshing to see a reality TV show contested by people with talent and personality, and judged by people who aren't showboating for the camera. And he doesn't even like cakes much.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 9 months later...

Tuesday 20th August.

Boom!

Is that the date when Paul Hollywood's marriage finally explodes?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived