The Photography Thread

Budget DSLRs: Sony A200 or Nikon D40?

Neither, I'd Canon 400D or 2nd hand 30D - there are plenty of cheap lens choices to get you started, and the 400D is a cracking camera.

Get over to the 'For Sale' section on Talk Photography and see what's knocking about.

If you want to try before you buy, you're welcome to pop round and have a tinker with my 450D?? :)

Whitehaven RLFC - Still in NL1, I blame Leroy Joe

Candlestick Chimney

Lord Oftheflies, Order of the Knights on the Town, (for services smoke removal devices in the architectural landscape of the North Country)

All Hail King Gerremonside I

London Marylebone, yesterday

3023773121_85a872c5ca.jpg

a famous name plate

and shot at it's home.

marylebone was the headquartyers of the bGReat Central railway.

The railway's war memorial tomits employees lost in the war was a locomotive, either a Robinson Atlantic or 4.6.0(I think the latter). The London North Western Railway called their war memorial loco 'Rememberance'..

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

[/quote

the Nikon D60 has come down in price big time.

not sure what it's like, but I do have a D80 which I really enjoy using.

Keeping it local

I've got a Samsung GX-1S which I've had for nearly a year, not used excessively but it takes nice pictures, is easy to use and takes all my old Pentax lenses. The limitations would appear to be user related rather than hardware based :D

The reviews I read on it were very good, and it was a very good price.

I have to agree with the 'neither' comments. In both ranges there's a better camera only a tad more expensive - the A300(or is it A350) or the D60. If you go with Sony, Canon or Pentax/Samsung there will be a ton of lenses you could expand with very easily (Sony takes old Konica Minolta lenses). Nikon's budget cameras only take AF-S lenses (motor on the lens) which whilst it means they are techincally better lenses (quieter, faster, autofocus) it means the range isn't as broad and the secondhand market is virtually non existent.

That said, I have a D40x (a D60 without a dust cleaner basically) and it rocks.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Get the 450D. If you're going to make an investment in an SLR, you're better buying something you can grow into slowly, rather than something that you'll grow out of quickly. There's plenty of lenses available for the Canon to suit all budgets as well. Oh, and I think Canon are still doing

RLC Premier Champions 2008

Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

RLC Club Of The Year 2001

Off to Andorra tomorrow morning to invest in a big zoom lens for the Nikon 70s.

Not for me, cos I have no talent (see above) and terrible camera shake, but for my bride who has the former but not the latter.

I do enjoy this thread a lot - nice mountain shot Mrs Redditchbulldog.

This is getting complicated (bit out of my comfort zone here). I can stretch as far as the Canon 450D or Nikon D60. Any good?

450D is a cracking camera, my wife uses one and has an excellant spec for the price. You get the choice of full range of canon lenses, as opposed to the limited Nikon choice, which come in a wide range of price brackets to suite am or pro specs and pockets.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Off to Andorra tomorrow morning to invest in a big zoom lens for the Nikon 70s.

Not for me, cos I have no talent (see above) and terrible camera shake, but for my bride who has the former but not the latter.

I do enjoy this thread a lot - nice mountain shot Mrs Redditchbulldog.

Unprecedentedly good snow in Andorra at the moment.

Get some skis on!!

Unprecedentedly good snow in Andorra at the moment.

Get some skis on!!

I don't look good in salopettes! Just booze, fags and Christmas prezzies tomorrow.

Edited by timtum

This is getting complicated (bit out of my comfort zone here). I can stretch as far as the Canon 450D or Nikon D60. Any good?

EOS450d is great... Even I've impressed myself with some shots... just waiting for Father Christmas to bring me a good lens and hopefully I'll be knocking some good piccies out... need to make some quality time for me and the beast though ;)

Vince Lombardi

"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up."

"Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is."

Copa @ May 8 2005

Rugby League: Complex game, simple rules.

Rugby Union: Complex Rules, simple game.

Lets get Folding...

http://vspx27.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py...e&teamnum=43780

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/tea....php?s=&t=43780

It seems you can get 450D bodies for 300-400 pounds in the UK and 1000Ds for 280-350 new. On ebay second hand 20Ds seem to be going for 200-300 pounds and 40Ds for 300-400. On that basis they're pretty similar. So you can either get a spanking new camera that is not quite as good or you can get a used camera that is a bit better. You're taking a bit of a chance with a second hand body but if it's been reconditioned or serviced it should be as good as new. Personally I'd go for the better camera. But it depends on what you want it for too.

Thanks for the advice guys. I've just ordered the 450D from amazon. Probably could've found a better deal somewhere but I trust amazon.

got my D80 from amazon

delay in getting it

then it was faulty when it did arrive

Keeping it local

Hmm, looks like that camera strapped onto your ankle for those subtle

'up the skirt' shots works ok GJ. :D

3067561639_d1b6c94c93.jpg

Also had my own GingerJohn black and white moment as well.

3032847590_eb4af89efa.jpg

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

######, forgot to check that the 450D had a colour setting. ;)

They were shot in colour, young Severus.

You have much to learn.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Didn't say they weren't, just forgot to check the specs on the 450D :P

Just make sure you look through the viewfinder rather than the screen on the back and you'll be right.

Get Photoshop or PS Elements as well. The bundled software for Canon is better than for Nikon but you need to get one of those ASAP.