Uninteresting Trivial Facts

I had the engineer round yesterday to connect my line. He tested it and all seemed okay. Another engineer came round later and re-tested it, once again, with no problems. However, still no broadband available from the router. I'll give it 'til Monday.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I was just about to walk out the door to drive for about 1hr 45m to Welwyn Garden City for a 30 minute meeting and I decided to check my emails again.  Just as I was shutting down Outlook I saw an email pop up with "CANCELLED" as the header.  The meeting has been cancelled.  That's 3.5hrs of my life back :)

I'd have made it the entire way there if I hadn't checked as I refuse to answer my phone when driving and had no stops planned to check my emails en-route.

This NHS lot really haven't caught on to the benefits of teleconferences.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Just off to meet up with some friends who I worked with for quite a few years; today is their last day as they are shutting the site down. The site has been open since the 1930s and a major employer in the area for a lot of that time. Apparently they may be building a Morrisons and some new 'affordable' houses on the site.

Bit of end of an era, some of the guys have been there for 20 years or more. I jumped ship a few years ago when the first rumblings of the closure were afoot, but still feel quite sad about this  :(

I had the engineer round yesterday to connect my line. He tested it and all seemed okay. Another engineer came round later and re-tested it, once again, with no problems. However, still no broadband available from the router. I'll give it 'til Monday.

Yay! Working now. Tested speed (12-13Mb/s), which will do okay for me. No more BT Wi-Fi with Fon, which I'd been using as a stopgap. The latter is a useful emergency fallback, but not cheap (although there's no line rental) and getting a useable signal can be iffy.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Yay! Working now. Tested speed (12-13Mb/s), which will do okay for me. No more BT Wi-Fi with Fon, which I'd been using as a stopgap. The latter is a useful emergency fallback, but not cheap (although there's no line rental) and getting a useable signal can be iffy.

If it was BT's fault you were without internet, call up their complaints line and ask them to refund the costs.  They usually do if you ask nicely.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

If it was BT's fault you were without internet, call up their complaints line and ask them to refund the costs.  They usually do if you ask nicely.

Nope, they (their contracted company anyway) connected me on the agreed date and, because there weren't enough connections on the building, the poor guy had to run a new line from up the street, across several building and down into the connection box.

The broadband provider were three days late activating, but have emailed me to let me know they started charging my direct debit today instead of Friday. Three days isn't a big enough deal to make a fuss about. If I was running a business, it might be a different matter.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I just had a call from one of those scammers claiming to be working for Microsoft support. I've never had one of those before I normally only get the PPI reclaim folk.

He seemed very nice but got a bit frustrated when I kept telling him to repeat everything three times, then he hung up when I put him on mute. How very rude.

'... prehistoric human footprints have also been found on the nearby mudflats'

Well, it is Lancashire.

;)

Yes. The footprints were found to be about 5,000 years old and are thought to prove that there was civilization on the Lancashire coast going back at least 5,000 years. This pre-dates civilization reaching Yorkshire...... by about 5,000 years. :D

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Yes. The footprints were found to be about 5,000 years old and are thought to prove that there was civilization on the Lancashire coast going back at least 5,000 years. This pre-dates civilization reaching Yorkshire...... by about 5,000 years. :D

The coast, you'll notice. Civilisation may have hopped off the boat, taken a look and decided not to stick around. ;) 

Ralph Waldo Emerson

... and counting.  :tongue:

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

• 2 weeks later...

The new North exit tunnel from Kings Cross/St Pancras. A stylistic departure, but I like it.

image_copy_large.jpg

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just started thunder & lightning here at work. Machines have cut out...tea break I think. :)

That was a proper lightning storm overnight from about 3:30 to 4:30 this morning.  Flash after flash every second or so.  Woke me up so I just sat in the spare room watching it rolling across the countryside.

That was a proper lightning storm overnight from about 3:30 to 4:30 this morning.  Flash after flash every second or so.  Woke me up so I just sat in the spare room watching it rolling across the countryside.

Posted elsewhere, but this tracks lightning strikes in real time: http://www.lightningmaps.org/realtime?lang=en

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Olivia Newton-John's grandfather was Nobel Prize-winning atomic physicist Max Born.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

When you get run down, your sweat changes character.

I haven't slept properly for a couple of weeks. Too flipping hot.

My copper bangle has sent the skin below it apple green.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

The A14 in Suffolk suffered significant damage due to the heat today.  A policeman, probably exaggerating, said on the news that the road "literally exploded".

I got a new Kindle Paperwhite today as an advance birthday present :)  My aging keyboard Kindle was starting to suffer from being dropped too many times.  The backlight on the Paperwhite is excellent and I'm very happy with it.

Tesco have £20 off the Paperwhite now plus there's the double points thing so we cashed in the points we had unspent to get £60 off the price.

9am I sat down with a nice cup of tea and thought I'd answer a few emails before having a relatively quiet day.  Oh how that changed.... I've just put my work laptop down for a breather and tea refresh before getting back into it.  It doesn't help that it seems that half the NHS is on holiday going by the out-of-office notes I've received.