What Are You Listening To - The Reckoning

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Life's a River from Mick Ronson's superb posthumously released Heaven and Hull album.

I was listening to that the other day, it's travisty that one of the bands that changed a generation of musicians, The Spiders From Mars are not celebrated and recognised enough in the city they hailed from.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2013/may/22/david-bowie-spiders-hull-yorkshire

Edited by westhuller

I was listening only recently to the album Mick Ronson made with Ian Hunter. Bit of a mixed bag, but some good stuff. The album title (Y U I Orta) baffled me for a while, until I found out it was a tribute to the Three Stooges.

Here's the stand-out track (IMO).

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I was listening only recently to the album Mick Ronson made with Ian Hunter. Bit of a mixed bag, but some good stuff. The album title (Y U I Orta) baffled me for a while, until I found out it was a tribute to the Three Stooges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvOp7_Umty4

never alone with a schizophrenic is a very good album...

Much better than all American alien boy.

Hunter did some good stuff post MTH.

I was listening to a lot of their early stuff earlier this week.... Some gems in there

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

I was listening to that the other day, it's travisty that one of the bands that changed a generation of musicians, The Spiders From Mars are not celebrated and recognised enough in the city they hailed from.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2013/may/22/david-bowie-spiders-hull-yorkshire

You're not wrong, Pete.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Old Frightful is the resident forum expert on the Three Stooges. I'm sure he'd have picked up on that straightaway.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Someone just posted this on another forum. Very nice - I must check out their other songs.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Woke up this morning with this running through my head. Never heard it since they were on TotP when the single was released. It is amazing what random things pop out of the memory banks sometimes. If that sample is naggingly familiar, it is from the Gregory Peck Western 'The Big Country'.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

This one's a bit more laid back. This live version adds a (recorded) choir, which really lifts the song to a new level.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Mix - Mountain - Beside The Sea (Live At Woodstock 69') 

Mountain were a fine band. I always liked Leslie 'The Great Fatsby' West's playing and vocals.

Mountain were a fine band. I always liked Leslie 'The Great Fatsby' West's playing and vocals.

Wonderful player, and the contrast between his vocals and those of Felix Pappalardi gave an extra dimension to the band's sound.

This, from the 'Night of the Guitar' film and album, was the very first time I heard Leslie play. He was really on form for this liver version with Derek Holt on vocals. I went out and bought 'Nantucket Sleighride' the same week.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wonderful player, and the contrast between his vocals and those of Felix Pappalardi gave an extra dimension to the band's sound.

This, from the 'Night of the Guitar' film and album, was the very first time I heard Leslie play. He was really on form for this liver version with Derek Holt on vocals. I went out and bought 'Nantucket Sleighride' the same week.

Nantucket Sleighride is a great album. It still gets a regular spin on my turntable. It's also one of my favourite pieces of album artwork. I love the drawing of the whale hunt.

Nantucket Sleighride is a great album. It still gets a regular spin on my turntable. It's also one of my favourite pieces of album artwork. I love the drawing of the whale hunt.

+1. Love it! Wish I had a turntable to play it on :( , though I have ripped it to mp3 :D .

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

+1. Love it! Wish I had a turntable to play it on :( , though I have ripped it to mp3 :D .

Futtocks is very knowledgeable about that sort of thing. He could probably point you in the direction of a very high quality vinyl rip.

Futtocks is very knowledgeable about that sort of thing. He could probably point you in the direction of a very high quality vinyl rip.

I could... and it sounds fantastic!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On the subject of Leslie West, back in 2011 he lost a lot of weight and also had a leg amputated, due to complications arising from diabetes. He announced a new tour 2 months after what turned out to be a life-threatening operation.

As you can see, he's a much slimmer man these days.

MI0002480321.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Ralph Waldo Emerson