Sign in to follow this  
hindle xiii

Food and drink thread

1 minute ago, Robin Evans said:

If you're ever in rovrum bleep.....

Rovrum?

Supporting Rugby League since 1971

20 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

I was talking to a southerner the other day, and she suggested that Black Pudding was a Sussex/Kentish pudding, I tried to correct her, but she pointed me to the local library where they had 'Blood Pudding' on a menu in 1785 at a Lords mansion.

Is there anything you wouldn't eat or drink? I hate Cucumber, and that's it. I eat everything else.

Apart from the Korean food you mentioned in the Winter Olympics thread 

27 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

I was talking to a southerner the other day, and she suggested that Black Pudding was a Sussex/Kentish pudding, I tried to correct her, but she pointed me to the local library where they had 'Blood Pudding' on a menu in 1785 at a Lords mansion.

Is there anything you wouldn't eat or drink? I hate Cucumber, and that's it. I eat everything else.

A recipe for blood pudding can be found in the writing of Roman gourmet Apicius (1st century AD). There's an even earlier reference in Homer's Odyssey (from the 8th century BC).

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

6 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

A recipe for blood pudding can be found in the writing of Roman gourmet Apicius (1st century AD). There's an even earlier reference in Homer's Odyssey (from the 8th century BC).

It's a common Spanish and south American dish as well, Morcilla is just a spicier Black Pudding

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

4 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I’m attempting a very simple duck montmorency today.

I’m using duck breast roasted with apricot and stuffing served with a morello cherry and kirsch sauce that will be gently heated.

Any tips?

Never cooked it, never had it. But a quick look at some recipes online suggest that it'll be pretty rich. So what will you be serving with it?

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

5 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Never cooked it, never had it. But a quick look at some recipes online suggest that it'll be pretty rich. So what will you be serving with it?

With roast potatoes, hopefully taking advantage of the duck fat, and just some fairly standard mixed veg.

Roasted the duck breast which unfortunately came out less pink than anticipated, but still entirely acceptable and tender.

The Montmorency sauce was a bit of a cheat in the end.   I just went with gently heating a jar of morello cherries soaked in a kirsch cherry sauce.  Was tempted to add red wine and corn syrup, but was glad I didn’t.

The result was a very rich accompaniment to the duck, although I have to say it totally complimented the duck breast and it’s apricot stuffing.

I also served roast potatoes cooked in the duck fat which were delicious.

All in all, a triumph albeit one involving limited cooking skill!

On 16/02/2018 at 9:22 AM, Robin Evans said:

Rotherham?

Doubt it

Supporting Rugby League since 1971

Parmo has made its first ever appearance on Masterchef!

9 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Does anyone actually buy/eat salad cream?

My sister likes the horrible stuff. I sometimes wonder if one of us was adopted.

And it is much championed over real mayonnaise as an act of "keeping it real" by class warriors. :wink: 

Anyhoo, I have a couple of beef ribs for tonight, marinating in garlic, oil, salt, pepper, smoked paprika, lemon juice and red wine. And there will be mashed potato - that's non-negotiable!

Salad cream. Vile.

It takes 2 mins to make good mayo. Making mine tonight .... for a change I'm using rape seed oil .... bit of salt... splash white wine vinegar and squeeze of lemon.

Chicken strips seasoned with salt cayenne.... egg dip then panko... and fried off.

Tiger prawns in tempura

Some green things with the mayo and a creme fraiche with spring onion and chive dip.....

It's just the green things that scare me.

Edited by Robin Evans

From Noble Rot magazine.

DX2BM8YX0AAF0bI.jpg

Salad Cream? 

It's the taste of summer. It brings back memories of those long summer dsys when I was a kid. I love it and as for mayonnaise, what is it for? Tasteless sandwich lubricant

One mans meat.......

Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

I went into Tesco this evening and they had some jellied eels on the reduced counter. Absolute bargain at a tenth of the unreduced price.

Eel must be the most underrated white fish. Its flesh is firm and really tasty. Its a shame it isn't widely available unless it's in aspic.

Edited by Bearman

Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

10 minutes ago, Bearman said:

I went into Tesco this evening and they had some jellied eels on the reduced counter. Absolute bargain at a tenth of the unreduced price.

Eel must be the most underrated white fish. Its flesh is firm and really tasty. Its a shame it isn't widely available unless it's in aspic.

I like eel - just not jellied eel. Japanese style smoked eel is delicious, and there's a Greek restaurant near King's Cross that sometimes has it on the menu, and do it very nicely.

But it is always hard to find in shops, in un-jellied, uncooked form. There's a couple of stalls in Borough Market that sell it: http://boroughmarket.org.uk/articles/smoked-eel