• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Waku Ghin was great; the beef was incredible. The masterclass showed how precise and organised the good chefs are, a real 'masterclass' in simplicity of flavours. Could see this influencing how i eat

There are thousands of wild bores around Headingley on match days.

Tomato, saucise de Rawmarsh and chorizo which is now in the smoker.... the smoker is having it's maiden voyage

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I love cooking..... but pies are my absolute favourite..... especially in the game season.

Pheasant and partridge season has now finished..... so pigeon and rabbit pies are now on. I love rabbit and leek.

My newish (since 2018) job is within walking distance of these good people: http://mckannameats.co.uk/products 

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Just now, Robin Evans said:

This is fabulous. Is it all in good nick?

All good, and they're nice folk too. Their pork scratchings are superb, but sometimes you get stuck behind someone placing a big order. Just before last Christmas, I found myself behind an aged couple and one of the things I overheard was "now, Boxing Day... how many geese did we reckon we'd need?"

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

• 1 month later...

The empty shelves at your local supermarket are just an encouragement to broaden your cooking skills.

Whats the most creative thing you have done during lockdown?

I did a Pork Shoulder chop, and covered it in Redcurrant Jelly, mustard, and chilli flakes last night, this morning I did a really healthy breakfast of Asda Raspberry, apple & Strawberry Granola, with Greek yoghurt, and half a sliced banana on top.

Where were you last Thursday?

Last weekend, I did a slow dry roast of a joint of beef that was one of the few things left on the meat shelf in Sainsbury's when I went there. I set the oven to about 50 degrees C and let the joint gradually heat, using an internal thermometer probe to monitor. Then I held the internal temperature at 55 degrees (or whatever level of "done" you prefer) for about an hour. With a professional oven, holding an even temperature would be more controllable, but this was close enough for good results.

The slow heating seals the outside of the meat, so you don't get much gravy, but all the juice stays inside. This roasting method also gives excellent cold cuts for sandwiches the next day... unless you eat the lot in one sitting!

Rested for at least 15 minutes before carving, and served with asparagus, mushrooms and a potato salad with some horseradish mixed in.

Apologies if this is a duplicate, but i made a small 2k brisket the other week.

Slow roasted with the view to bbq at the end. Didnt need the BBQ in the end, but still a bit disappointed.

My steak cookery has been terrible recently. Last flank i did on the BBQ was a little flabby - suspect i salted too early and didnt let my BBQ get to a screaming hot stage. 

Thinking of getting a sous-vide gadget.. 

• 3 weeks later...

£625 for a meal for 5 celebs on tonight's "I'll Get This"? Who do they think they are kidding? I'm not watching that again  even if John Vegas is on.

Actually, if he is on.

Just now, Bleep1673 said:

£625 for a meal for 5 celebs on tonight's "I'll Get This"? Who do they think they are kidding? I'm not watching that again  even if John Vegas is on.

Actually, if he is on.

I spent £850 on a meal in the West End of Larrrndarrn, for 4 of us, 15 years ago.

My corner shop has started selling these, so my lockdown nutritional needs are more or less met. Corn puffs like Cheesy Wotsits, but roast peanut flavoured.

81D7HJMHo5L._SL1500_.jpg

The Co-op have just introduced a new "limited edition" Katsu Curry flavour of crinkle-cut crisps. A lot of the time, crisp flavours are a bit unconvincing, but these are nice!

On 14/04/2020 at 22:50, Bleep1673 said:

Actually, if he is on.

I spent that for the two of us at Feenie's in Vancouver for my 25th wedding anniversary ?

1 minute ago, MattSantos said:

Wise. Loads of vinegar presumably?

Im off to bed dreaming of a fish, chips, peas and scrap sarnie. Warburtons white. Can of pop. 

See... 99% of the time I eat poncey bread or bread I've baked myself.

BUT, I'm in total agreement here. With F&Cs its warburton's white....

I like mine with a pint o' tea.... again, not the time for poncey teas... twinnings everyday.

59 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Wise. Loads of vinegar presumably?

Im off to bed dreaming of a fish, chips, peas and scrap sarnie. Warburtons white. Can of pop. 

Malt vinegar or non-brewed condiment?