Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
hindle xiii

Food and drink thread

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, henage said:

Had wild bore in Poland very nice , over did it a little . Washed down with Polish Lager , lots of Polish Lager . 

There are thousands of wild bores around Headingley on match days.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Leeds Wire said:

There are thousands of wild bores around Headingley on match days.

Only when the wire are playing there.

 


Thank you for your valuable contribution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I've got a haggis and some roasted pumpkin wedges cooking right now. Very Autumnal flavours.

I love Haggis.   I think the poor reputation it gets is down to people trying it for the first time and being served a poorly made one, which probably puts them off for life as the flavour sticks around for a while.

There’s an cool little place in Edinburgh, called Maxie’s. If you leave the castle on the main strip and take your first right back on yourself down the hill, it’s on the left side.   They do a nice mix of dishes with haggis, or just the standard neeps tatties thing for the tourists, but most importantly they have a decent range of whiskies to wash it down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

I love Haggis.   I think the poor reputation it gets is down to people trying it for the first time and being served a poorly made one, which probably puts them off for life as the flavour sticks around for a while.

There’s an cool little place in Edinburgh, called Maxie’s. If you leave the castle on the main strip and take your first right back on yourself down the hill, it’s on the left side.   They do a nice mix of dishes with haggis, or just the standard neeps tatties thing for the tourists, but most importantly they have a decent range of whiskies to wash it down.

You also get an unintentionally-biased response from the USA, where you can't import real haggis, but can buy canned abominations that have little to do with the original dish. They are often made with beef, for a start, which is plain wrong.

The commercially aggressive approach by MacSween, however, has made a very decent haggis available in a huge range of shops across the UK, which wasn't the case as recently as 10 years ago. I bought the one I ate last night from a mini-Waitrose, which is their equivalent of a Tesco Metro or a Sainsbury's Local - shops which often frustrate because of their limited stock. This branch had both haggis and vegetarian haggis in their stripped-down product range.

There was a bit left over, which is forming the middle layer of tonight's pigeon pie. Let's see how that works...

  • Like 2

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

The commercially aggressive approach by MacSween, however, has made a very decent haggis available in a huge range of shops across the UK,

...and was even available in my local supermarket when we lived in Dubai!   At a slightly elevated price of course 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

You also get an unintentionally-biased response from the USA, where you can't import real haggis, but can buy canned abominations that have little to do with the original dish. They are often made with beef, for a start, which is plain wrong.

The commercially aggressive approach by MacSween, however, has made a very decent haggis available in a huge range of shops across the UK, which wasn't the case as recently as 10 years ago. I bought the one I ate last night from a mini-Waitrose, which is their equivalent of a Tesco Metro or a Sainsbury's Local - shops which often frustrate because of their limited stock. This branch had both haggis and vegetarian haggis in their stripped-down product range.

There was a bit left over, which is forming the middle layer of tonight's pigeon pie. Let's see how that works...

I had this in Inverness once. I had a go home and it was lovely.

https://thescottishbutcher.com/recipes/chicken-balmoral-and-peppercorn-sauce/


Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/11/2019 at 13:53, henage said:

Had wild boar in Poland very nice , over did it a little . Washed down with Polish Lager , lots of Polish Lager . 

Ditto, went for a week in 2003 to hook up with this lass that did some work for her company out of London from time to time that I bumped into, think I paid about £4 for wild boar and the double vodkas - didn't do singles from what I could figure, were about 50p or thereabouts (roughly 7 PLN to the £ at the time, now 5!)

I remember coming back with a couple of bottles of some locally made vodka and a bottle of fruits of the forest variant I'd bought in the new Tesco that had been built in Katowice, it was deserted but had a pyramid of car tyres in the middle of the store, it was huuuge!

I had a brilliant time and even went to church on Easter Sunday 😄

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found my Bialetti moka coffee maker at the back of the cupboard where redundant kitchen gadgets live.

I have been spending a fortune on capsules. What on earth was I think about?

Mind you, I have had just two large espresso's so I can't see me going to bed early tonight.

Edited by Bearman

Ron Banks

Bears and Barrow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bearman said:

I found my Bialetti moka coffee maker at the back of the cupboard where redundant kitchen gadgets live.

I have been spending a fortune on capsules. What on earth was I think about?

Mind you, I have had just two large espresso's so I can't see me going to bed early tonight.

My sister loves her capsule machine, but the coffee just tastes stale to me.

BTW, espresso isn't all that strong in caffeine. The intensity of the favour can make it feel otherwise, but the speed at which the water is forced through the coffee grounds means that it is nowhere near as much of a caffeine hit as other methods, where the coffee and water are in contact for longer.

I have a Vogvigo roaster, a Delonghi burr grinder and an Aeropress coffee maker, and the results are absolutely spot on for my tastes. Rave Coffee (bought through Amazon) supply green coffee beans of good quality, without stinging you on price or delivery costs.

  • Like 1

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A good haul at the butcher round the corner from work; a couple of pigeons, some wild boar & apple sausages and a compango pack.

  • Like 1

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't know whether to put this on the RANT thread, or here, but I was so hungry this morning I made some powdered milk, liquid, and ate some 18 months out of date granola. PIP due next Tuesday.


RESURGAM

Non solum autem Leones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

I didn't know whether to put this on the RANT thread, or here, but I was so hungry this morning I made some powdered milk, liquid, and ate some 18 months out of date granola. PIP due next Tuesday.

I got my £10 Christmas bonus from the PIP today, spent it on real luxuries, bread, milk, tomatoes, apples (X2) and a packet of m&m's.

As I was leaving Asda on Silverhill, at around 1045 there was a person in the cafe wearing a Warrington shirt, with a cooked breakfast. I couldn't stop to say hello as I could see my bus, so apologies if it happened to be any of you lot.

Edited by Bleep1673

RESURGAM

Non solum autem Leones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...