Random internet link of the day

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a better opening paragraph to any Wikipedia article than this?

Adrian Carton de Wiart

Sir Adrian Paul Ghislain Carton de Wiart[1]VC, KBE, CB, CMG, DSO (5 May 1880 – 5 June 1963), was a British Army officer of Belgian and Irish descent. He served in the Boer War, First World War, and Second World War; was shot in the face, head, stomach, ankle, leg, hip, and ear; survived a plane crash; tunnelled out of a POW camp; and bit off his own fingers when a doctor refused to amputate them. He later wrote that "Frankly I had enjoyed the war" when describing his service in the First World War.[2]

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Generate your own pretentious artistic agenda.

Artist Statement

My work explores the relationship between postmodern discourse and copycat violence.

With influences as diverse as Munch and Buckminster Fuller, new variations are crafted from both mundane and transcendant structures.

Ever since I was a teenager I have been fascinated by the unrelenting divergence of relationships. What starts out as contemplation soon becomes finessed into a carnival of futility, leaving only a sense of what could have been and the inevitability of a new understanding.

As subtle phenomena become reconfigured through emergent and diverse practice, the viewer is left with an insight into the edges of our culture.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I've been at home feeling sorry for myself with the flu today (hence being on this site for most of the day) and have finally got around to going through my inbox of random links from friends.  I have found one real gem in there:  http://zenpencils.com/

The latest one is very much like my current thinking about my career.

p.s. why does the body wait until you've taken time off to hit you with a nasty cold or flu?  It's almost as if it said to itself "well, he's at home anyway so why not relax the immune system a bit for a few days"

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"