Extra Time at Wembley!

Both this weekends Semi's would have gone to golden point extra time if had ended in a draw after 80 mins. All exicting for the fans but surley the players deserve another 10 mins each way until golden point?

I then realised why!!!!!! BBC needed to get to the final scores of the Football League games that day.

Looking at rules of Final, NO extra time or golden point, straight to replay. WHY? Because the BBC demand to get to the final score programme on time!!!!!

The players, fans deserve a winner on cup final day, can you imagine the feeling of no winner come that day? No doubt it would add a few coffers to RFL but would get no where near the coverage of a nail biting extra time golden point game........

I think this is going to be the closest exicting final for years and could be ruined cause of no extra time because of the poncey footballers......

Not sure on this one because any extra time or golden point leads to just a scruffy period of who can kick the first drop goal

I think on balance if the teams have drawn at full time they deserve to replay the whole 80 to reach an outcome

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

Looking at rules of Final, NO extra time or golden point, straight to replay. WHY? Because the BBC demand to get to the final score programme on time!!!!!

From the operational rules again

SEMI FINALS/FINAL

B4:26 As regards the semi-final, if there is a draw at the end of regular time, the procedure

outlined in Section B4:22 above shall apply. As regards the Final, if there is a draw at the

end of regular time then the Final shall be replayed at a date, time and venue as directed

by the Board of Directors. As regards the Final replay, if there is a draw at the end of

regular time, the procedure outlined in Section B4:22 above shall apply.

I believe this has been the rule long before Final Score was broadcast. eg...from Wikipedia

Halifax and Warrington, the teams that finished first and second respectively on the Championship ladder (separated by only one competition point), reached the Challenge Cup final in 1954. It was played at Wembley and 81,841 spectators saw. what turned out to be a lacklustre match.... The final score was 4 - 4. The re-play was scheduled for 5pm the following Wednesday, 5 May at Odsal Stadium, Bradford.

Edited by JohnM

Not sure on this one because any extra time or golden point leads to just a scruffy period of who can kick the first drop goal

I think on balance if the teams have drawn at full time they deserve to replay the whole 80 to reach an outcome

agree entirely!

It keeps changing then changing back doesn't it? Might just be getting confused with the Grand Final though. Certainly nothing to do with the BBC though - finest bit of paranoia on here for some time.

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

It keeps changing then changing back doesn't it? Might just be getting confused with the Grand Final though. Certainly nothing to do with the BBC though - finest bit of paranoia on here for some time.

Ok I stand corrected if that is the case, I still blame them fo culling Birtish Coal Nines from late 80's that they used to show on Wednesdays Sportsnight though.........although I do love Claire Balding!!!!!!!!

here here.wednesday night elland road.be like the good old days.

I think for the final, as much as golden point would be exciting, deserves a replay. Also, if they did the Wed night in the North you'd get anohter belting crowd!! That in itself would be excitement! Wonder if BBC would show the replay live? Could always have it on BBC2 or BBC3 as worst case scenario!!

I did like the 'Next try the winner' idea by the poster above!!! Would stop scruffy drop-goals but could go on for hours!!

Edited by Odsal Outlaw

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

Both this weekends Semi's would have gone to golden point extra time if had ended in a draw after 80 mins. All exicting for the fans but surley the players deserve another 10 mins each way until golden point?

I then realised why!!!!!! BBC needed to get to the final scores of the Football League games that day.

The players, fans deserve a winner on cup final day, can you imagine the feeling of no winner come that day? No doubt it would add a few coffers to RFL but would get no where near the coverage of a nail biting extra time golden point game........

I think this is going to be the closest exicting final for years and could be ruined cause of no extra time because of the poncey footballers......

if they had golden point in 1954 you wouldnt have had 120,000 at odsal.

I think for the final, as much as golden point would be exciting, deserves a replay. Also, if they did the Wed night in the North you'd get anohter belting crowd!! That in itself would be excitement! Wonder if BBC would show the replay live? Could always have it on BBC2 or BBC3 as worst case scenario!!

What, and have to move Masterchef or whatever else is broadcast on a Wednesday evening at 8pm?

rldfsignature.jpg

What, and have to move Masterchef or whatever else is broadcast on a Wednesday evening at 8pm?

Since it's technically still the final maybe the BBC would be obliged to show it. It would certainly be the biggest exposure RL has had over here for years if they moved Eastenders for us!

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

They never showed the replay live in 1982.

TV deals and in particular the "crown jewells" system have evolved since then though.

SQL Honours

should do next try wins, could take sometime tho :lol:

I'm not a fan of the Golden Point as it currently is.

My suggestion would be that a 'golden try' would count as an immediate win, but kicks would only count on the scoreboard with the match going to the end of extra time.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Since it's technically still the final maybe the BBC would be obliged to show it. It would certainly be the biggest exposure RL has had over here for years if they moved Eastenders for us!

Except during the World Cup, EastEnders is not on on a Wednesday. B)

Except during the World Cup, EastEnders is not on on a Wednesday. B)

Says more about you than me. :lol::P

SQL Honours

I seem to remember reading (either in a press release or Cup Final programme) a couple of years ago that any Cup Final Replay was to be broadcast on BBC2 on a Tues or Wed evening. I would imagine a replay at 8pm even on Beeb 2 would easily outrate the actual cup final as it would be prime time etc.

here here.wednesday night elland road.be like the good old days.

What about the city of Manchester stadium? A much more modern venue than Elland Road,much more accessible too. I went to elland rd for england V australia last year,I drove there and the roads were gridlocked 2 hours before kick off. Elland rd............pah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dry:

2009 Warrington 25 Hudderfield 16

2010 Warrington 30 Leeds 6

2011 League Leaders Shield Winners

2012 Warrington 35 Leeds 18

Challenge cups and league leaders shields everywhere! We need more silver polish!

it should go to golden point

anybody who saw wests v souths the other saturday would agree

drop goals attemps every 2 mins

but in last 10 seconds souths broke and scored a try in the cornor with no time left

why we aint got it here in the uk goldon point

only the rfl no that