The TV Thread

On 01/12/2022 at 08:16, gingerjon said:

The US version of Ghosts is now on the iPlayer. It jars a bit and it's not as good (so far) as the UK version but the central two 'livings' are really good and by the end of episode 3 (very short US network episodes) it's proving to be funnier than most things out there.

I'd never heard of either 

My kids are now watching the UK version transfixed as they get changed for soccer matches this morning 

Good shout 

• Like 2

I've finished SAS Rogue Heroes. I enjoyed it and will definitely watch any future series. As I said earlier in the thread, I thought the first couple of episodes started off a bit slow and weren't particularly gripping but it certainly improves after that. One criticism I do have though is although the following 4 episodes have much more action and much more entertainment value I did find those episodes a bit too samey. They all essentially had the same storyline and by episode 5 I felt I'd already seen what I was watching a couple of times before. This is only a minor criticism however because, as I said, I did enjoy the series as a whole. 

Okay, hands up who tuned in to CBeebies for the first time in their life about 15 minutes ago? ✋

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

36 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Okay, hands up who tuned in to CBeebies for the first time in their life about 15 minutes ago? ✋

Here it is: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001d1h6/cbeebies-bedtime-stories-846-rob-burrow-tilda-tries-again 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I've watched the first episode of Tokyo Vice. Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. Mesmerising. I feel like I want to stay up all night and binge the whole thing. Certainly I know what I'm gonna be doing tomorrow. 

Also noticed Michael Mann directed that first episode. Didn't realise he had any involvement but upon learning that he did I can certainly see his style in it. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I've watched the first episode of Tokyo Vice. Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. Mesmerising. I feel like I want to stay up all night and binge the whole thing. Certainly I know what I'm gonna be doing tomorrow. 

Also noticed Michael Mann directed that first episode. Didn't realise he had any involvement but upon learning that he did I can certainly see his style in it. 

Yeah, it's really different and catches the imagination........ Not least because matey boy masters the language which makes it in a way 

7 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Yeah, it's really different and catches the imagination........ Not least because matey boy masters the language which makes it in a way 

It certainly is different in that an American main character actually embraces the culture of the country he's causing carnage in. Don't know what I think of the main guy yet I must say, can't really warm to him yet but that could just be the actor. 

2 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

It certainly is different in that an American main character actually embraces the culture of the country he's causing carnage in. Don't know what I think of the main guy yet I must say, can't really warm to him yet but that could just be the actor. 

We've warmed to him a lot...and his Japanese mates. I assume he must have more or less learned fluent Japanese

We really don't like the blonde woman though....very arrogant character who loves herself .....

We are on episode 6 near end now

6 hours ago, The Masked Poster said:

I've watched about 15 minutes of the first episode (S1) but got called away. It seemed interesting, worth watching then? 

Yes 👍 Oldman is particularly good.

• Thanks 1

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

Good news (I hope)! I've just seen a trailer for an Inside No.9 Christmas special.

• Like 2

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 04/12/2022 at 12:39, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

We've warmed to him a lot...and his Japanese mates. I assume he must have more or less learned fluent Japanese

We really don't like the blonde woman though....very arrogant character who loves herself .....

We are on episode 6 near end now

I've watched 4 episodes now. Just gets better and better and yes, I can now say I'm warming to Jake a lot more.

His mates are cool and I'm starting to like the female boss at the newspaper as she's starting to get into the investigation a bit more rather than just blocking Jake from delving deeper into stories. 

I'm not really seeing the point to Samantha's story yet but I guess there's some reason she's getting so much screen time. So far though she is just a random woman working in a bar Jake goes to. Obviously she has connections with the Yakuza but I'm yet to see why she's so important. 

On 30/11/2022 at 09:56, hw88 said:

Anyone watch the BBC's latest attempt at 'reality' tv last night? You couldn't get a more diverse, 'inclusive' group of people. Along with the obligatory ethnic minorities there was a dwarf, a one-armed person and an OAP in amongst the majority young 'beautiful' people. David Baddiel won't be happy though - no Jews!

As is common in this sort of programme there was a simple task to perform (which the contestants made to look difficult) followed by lots of bickering. The Ascent of Man it is not!

I'm not usually one for reality shows but this one has got me hooked. 

13 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I've watched 4 episodes now. Just gets better and better and yes, I can now say I'm warming to Jake a lot more.

His mates are cool and I'm starting to like the female boss at the newspaper as she's starting to get into the investigation a bit more rather than just blocking Jake from delving deeper into stories. 

I'm not really seeing the point to Samantha's story yet but I guess there's some reason she's getting so much screen time. So far though she is just a random woman working in a bar Jake goes to. Obviously she has connections with the Yakuza but I'm yet to see why she's so important. 

Well the Samantha thing does develop with a twist to an extent but doesn't change the story much 

I've just finished it last night....def scope for another series 

Just found out it's based on a book which is by a real life Jake Adelstein who was a real US journalist working for a Japanese paper....not sure how much is really true 

20 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Well the Samantha thing does develop with a twist to an extent but doesn't change the story much 

I've just finished it last night....def scope for another series 

Just found out it's based on a book which is by a real life Jake Adelstein who was a real US journalist working for a Japanese paper....not sure how much is really true 

Apparently another series has been commissioned. 

I knew it was based on a book but I have also read there has been lots of people question just how true some of the stories in it are. 

5 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Yeah...plenty of scope.for him to just make stuff up 

Good yarn though 

Well made up or not it makes for an excellent TV series so I'm not complaining. It's pretty common knowledge that a lot of people embellish their memoirs so I don't have a problem with it. 

Watched episode 5. Must say, that was the last thing I expected from Samantha. I thought she was gonna turn out to be an undercover cop or something, not that! 

12 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Well made up or not it makes for an excellent TV series so I'm not complaining. It's pretty common knowledge that a lot of people embellish their memoirs so I don't have a problem with it. 

Watched episode 5. Must say, that was the last thing I expected from Samantha. I thought she was gonna turn out to be an undercover cop or something, not that! 

Yep....Mormon God botherer to hostess....bit of a stretch 

You picked up any Japanese words? I've picked up Hai is yes.....but you have to shout it really.loud 

On 06/12/2022 at 01:10, Liverpool Rover said:

I'm not usually one for reality shows but this one has got me hooked. 

Makes me weep for the future. What an entitled, weak-willed, spineless bunch of losers they all are. It's just a game yet they wail and cry as if life depended on it. Not one of them have a grasp on reality.

And another thing, why do so few of them have proper jobs? Magician, actor, fund raiser, presenter, FFS! Did the advert for contestants say that only weirdos may apply?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DavidM said:

As a big fan of Spike Milligan ( and currently wading through his war memoirs ) I’m interested in the documentary on him tonight 

What channel/time?

Ralph Waldo Emerson