The TV Thread

1 hour ago, hw88 said:

No it makes you inquisitive and thirsting for knowledge.

I saw that programme as well - very illuminating.

Anyone interested in the civil war I highly recommend the prof David blight lectures to Yale  university. It's about 15 years old now and around 24, 45m-1hr episodes makes a great podcast. Covers pre war build up the war and then reconstruction.

Edited by Midlands hobo

23 hours ago, hw88 said:

Yes, tv really is the pits these days - too many channels. The vast majority of programmes are done on the cheap with little quality.

sports - cheap

'reality' programmes - cheap, done with people who'll do anything for 15 minutes of fame

cooking programmes - cheap, one studio and a couple of cameras

antiques programmes - see above

quizes - see above

shows pertaining to jobs eg. police, A&E, teaching, lorry driving, fishing, etc - see above

'talent' programmes - a misnomer if ever there was one

'list' programmes - Britains favourite comedy, Britains favourite pop anthem, etc. - oddly they always get it wrong!

repeats of old programmes often from decades ago - often these are the only things worth watching

I could go on ..........

am assuming you record all the weeks episodes of  JUNIOR BAKE OFF to binge watch all in one go at the weekend?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

am assuming you record all the weeks episodes of  JUNIOR BAKE OFF to binge watch all in one go at the weekend?

Says it all doesn't it? Not only is it a cookery programme but it's with children! 

Having mined all the extant possibilities they are now going for cross-overs - in this case cooking-contest-children. They'll be doing it on roller skates next!

2 minutes ago, hw88 said:

Says it all doesn't it? Not only is it a cookery programme but it's with children! 

Having mined all the extant possibilities they are now going for cross-overs - in this case cooking-contest-children. They'll be doing it on roller skates next!

never actually watched it but imagine they are all little shytorks - who have some sort of link to the producers sister or best mates mrs 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

The Last of Us - Promising first episode.  Sets the background and tees up what could be a good series.  

• Like 2

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

On 09/01/2023 at 06:29, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I watched the first episode of 'Our Flag Means Death' last night. Not sure what I really thought of it, had a couple of little chuckles. I'll stick with it and see how it develops. 

I've given up on this. Not my sort of thing. Far too cringeworthy and slapstick for me. 

On 16/01/2023 at 09:30, hw88 said:

Sex. About the only thing ITV or C4 haven't shown is full blown nitty-gritty intercourse from a variety of camera angles.

We've had numerous quasi-medical shows eg. Embarrassing Bodies, which nearly always include someone getting their boobs or penis out - these days it could even be the same person. Then we have the reality type show Big Brother, Love Island, Below Deck Med, etc which always features vacuous, self-obsessed, exhibitionist, pretty young things exposing themselves and 'making out'! Incidentally the only Below Deck programme I want to watch is the one were the boat hits a mine and blows them all sky-high!

And of course we have the nadir of all programmes, Naked Attraction, where we all get to see what 50+ people look like after gravity has taken its toll!

You seem remarkably well informed. 
I admire the selfless way you sit through hours of broadcasting you don’t enjoy so you can have an informed opinion. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

never actually watched it but imagine they are all little shytorks - who have some sort of link to the producers sister or best mates mrs 

And I admire the way you don’t need to watch the programme to reach your conclusion 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

The Last of Us - Promising first episode.  Sets the background and tees up what could be a good series.  

Seemed to please those familiar with the computer game it is based on AND the general tv critic.

Not always an easy balance to strike with these things!

I enjoyed it I must admit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shadow said:

You seem remarkably well informed. 
I admire the selfless way you sit through hours of broadcasting you don’t enjoy so you can have an informed opinion. 

Thank you. I'm glad my efforts are appreciated!😀

I did infact miss off one programme that equals Naked Attraction in its rankness - Gogglebox. People watching people watching tv! How sad, inadequate and desperate to be entertained must one be to watch that!

Still, whoever devised it must be laughing all the way to the bank.

8 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I've given up on this. Not my sort of thing. Far too cringeworthy and slapstick for me. 

Most modern 'comedy' is about as funny as having ones teeth pulled without anaesthetic. I sit through most comedy shows without laughing once although a few are mildly amusing.

The days of Steptoe, Porridge, Likely Lads (both incarnations), OFAH, and the like are long gone.

11 minutes ago, hw88 said:

Most modern 'comedy' is about as funny as having ones teeth pulled without anaesthetic. I sit through most comedy shows without laughing once although a few are mildly amusing.

The days of Steptoe, Porridge, Likely Lads (both incarnations), OFAH, and the like are long gone.

There are plenty of comedies from the 21st century that I love, this one just wasn't for me. 

25 minutes ago, hw88 said:

Begs the question why you sit through them if you find it so tedious, most modern TVs are fitted with an 'off' setting.

There are plenty of modern day comedies that are as good as if not better than the ones you quoted. 
Off the top of my head, Ghosts (UK & US versions), The Cleaner, Motherland, Man Like Mobeen, Young Sheldon, Fleabag

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, hw88 said:

I sit through most comedy shows without laughing once although a few are mildly amusing.

Why watch things you don't like? What a strange, strange, strange attitude to have.

Life's too short.

Go and do something you enjoy.

Like moaning anonymously on the internet to people you don't know.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, Shadow said:

Begs the question why you sit through them if you find it so tedious, most modern TVs are fitted with an 'off' setting.

There are plenty of modern day comedies that are as good as if not better than the ones you quoted. 
Off the top of my head, Ghosts (UK & US versions), The Cleaner, Motherland, Man Like Mobeen, Young Sheldon, Fleabag

The US Ghosts is one of the most surprisingly enjoyable programmes I've watched in a while. Watched it basically to see that it couldn't be as good as the UK one and wound up binging it all the way to the end of the series.

Did I ever put up that the Kids in the Hall reboot is worth watching? It is, y'know. Properly funny.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

24 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Did I ever put up that the Kids in the Hall reboot is worth watching? It is, y'know. Properly funny.

What a relief to find that they weren't just cashing in on a nostalgia boom.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Why watch things you don't like? What a strange, strange, strange attitude to have.

Life's too short.

Go and do something you enjoy.

Like moaning anonymously on the internet to people you don't know.

Plenty on here appear to not like RL , but they still come on here and tell us how sheeeeite it is 

I've been meaning to post this video for a while, but it kept slipping my mind. Behind the scenes of series 3 of Detectorists.

• Thanks 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Now I've had a search, there are similar programmes for series 1 & 2.

• Thanks 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

The US Ghosts is one of the most surprisingly enjoyable programmes I've watched in a while. Watched it basically to see that it couldn't be as good as the UK one and wound up binging it all the way to the end of the series.

Blasphemy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shadow said:

It did seem a rather extreme response to me saying I aren't getting on with one particular sitcom. I don't like Our Flag Means Death which is evidence for all modern comedy being rubbish apparently... 

I love The Cleaner and Motherland. My favourite sitcom of all time is probably Detectorists. Other modern comedies I love include Derry Girls, The IT Crowd, Peep Show, Plebs, The Inbetweeners to name just 5 more. So that's 8 I love just off the top of my head.