Whisky

17 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I prefer single malts, and if a needy egomaniac windbag like one of the Hitchens brothers endorses a brand, I'd probably steer clear anyway.

My preference is a single malt but I'm not averse to a dram from the JW range. Compass box do some fabulous blends and the now defunct Asyla was an amazing example of a perfect blend (for me).

I'm up in the North of Scotland at the mo so I've bought 3 bottles from clynelish - my fav whisky and Brora is a lovely place to visit. A 14 year old, a distillers edition and a bottle your own cask strength are coming back with me.

Then, on the way back from Dingwall we took the mountain route as the sun was shining and the scenery is breathtaking. On the way back would you believe it, we found ourselves in the car park at Balblair. So I treated us to a 15 & and 18 Yr old. 

I've even bought some speyside whisky marmalade this morning!

Short of trying to catch a haggis on the hills, I've bought loads of Scottish stuff to bring back.... but that cask strength clynelish is what I'm looking forrad to most. Christmas day digestif😉

Edited by Robin Evans
  • Like 1

Clynelish is a great whisky. I read that they were reviving the nearby Brora distillery in 2020, but it'll be a few years before there's anything to try: https://www.whisky.com/information/news/newsdetail/brora-distillery-reopened-and-first-cask-filled.html

I bought a bottle of Brora from before its closure in 1983, and that was a good dram too. If I'd kept it instead of enjoying it, that would be worth at the very least a thousand quid in 2021.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Clynelish is a great whisky. I read that they were reviving the nearby Brora distillery in 2020, but it'll be a few years before there's anything to try: https://www.whisky.com/information/news/newsdetail/brora-distillery-reopened-and-first-cask-filled.html

I bought a bottle of Brora from before its closure in 1983, and that was a good dram too. If I'd kept it instead of enjoying it, that would be worth at the very least a thousand quid in 2021.

I remember buying three rosebanks (2 were presents) in 1984. My fav lowland.

They'd be worth a min of 5k now

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Johnoco said:

I got a bottle of peanut butter whiskey for my birthday. In small doses, it's really pretty nice. 

I'm struggling to imagine the taste, but that might be either genius or a sign of the End Days.

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

• 2 months later...

Had a Balblair 18 yo this weekend....

It's a distillery in fine form... and rising up my league table of fav single malts....well taken with the 12 & 15 previously. The 18 was much more expensive but one of the best I've had in a while

• 3 weeks later...

Posted elsewhere on this forum, but deserves mention here.

• Like 1