Canadian team apply to join Championship 1 (merged threads)

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are expanding the game, it's not a case of sitting on our hands. We have just had five or six new expansion sides in KPC1 in the last 5 years or so. More are probably in the pipeline. But hey let's just gamble all that on a "big idea".

after almost a hundred and ten years. 

But hey let's just chew the fat about how a revolutionary new idea might be feasible rather than why it isn't as per tradition.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

When Catalans entered the league, remind me how that went.

is that it?

Was there any opposition to it? Where did the opposition, if any, come from?

Keeping it local

Crusaders was never going to work because Leighton Samuels had already killed off 3 pro sports clubs

Well that isn't what you said at all.  You said Crusaders was never going to work period. Besides you may have missed the fact that Crusaders didn't stop when Samuels left, and skint SWS are hardly "working". Bet you wouldn't back against Scorpions if a Koukash took them on. Time to drop the fixation on Samuels but accept with the right money going in long enough, south wales is one of the best places for expansion to work.

I am serious me owd cock. Go back to the World Club Challenge in 1997 when all SL teams went to Australia was every player a full time professional? I agree that it might be difficult for a teacher but self employed people do take holidays especially when given months notice.

In the big scheme of things we are talking about 3/4 days leave. I find it difficult to grasp that a semi-pro who in my opinion does it tougher than their full-time counterparts by training and playing whilst holding down a full time job would balk at the opportunity of playing in Canada because they had to take some leave.

not all players would be able to. Probably most but teams would be missing a few for every visit The Canadians would need to be full time, the couldn't take 2 or 3 blocks of 6/7 weeks off their other jobs.

So we would be left with a team given the advantage of being the only one allowed to be full time. Playing against teams who can't put their full squad out, having to pay the extra costs to make it possible.

However it is all with the ultimate aim of getting out of that league, which begs the question, why force so many square pegs in to so many round holes destroying the integrity of league 1 for a club which if it is to succeed will only spend a minimum of time there

Like as been said this would be a great idea if it works. I'm personally sceptical as to wether it will or not. Like some have said about semi pro players being able to have time off from their jobs etc. but my main worry is money. Ok they have said they will pay for away teams travel costs etc but how long will this money last? Theirs no point in them joining like Toulouse did just for a few years. We need evidence/proof from the Canadian team that this will last for at least 10 years. If that can be achieved by all means let them in and hopefully they will play in our elite league one day but until we know their here to stay financially this as to be a pipe dream for now surely.

I'm surprised at your comments on Catalans Gaz!! You should have know the south of France has an established RL game producing players and attracting fans, enough for a few £Million to make it all work.

Bring on Toulouse.

For Canada to work it seems it'd need £Millions more such that you'd guess they'd be better boosting their own game with a Canadian league with that money. For I'd be sure that what Canada want is for our game to promote their game. If that was successful at some time the Canadians would have to focus on their domestic league anyway and possibly pull out of our league long term.

The idea we go there and play exhibitions etc seems a good one but will either party pay for that? I'd guess the Canadians feel their growth would be better with competitive league games.  Are the Canadian proposals effectively "using" our game? I'd guess so. Or would having Canada on CC clubs fixture lists boost our clubs?

All pie in the SKY maybe but worth a few thoughts in the off season.

She's wrong. It is an 11 hour flight and 8 hours back. That plus getting to / from the airport plus associated mucking about means that it is about 24 hours of travelling there and back.

And you're right.

I'll leave you to it.

See you in Toronto.

IMAG0394_zpsvjvgze6q.jpg

Well that isn't what you said at all.  You said Crusaders was never going to work period. Besides you may have missed the fact that Crusaders didn't stop when Samuels left, and skint SWS are hardly "working". Bet you wouldn't back against Scorpions if a Koukash took them on. Time to drop the fixation on Samuels but accept with the right money going in long enough, south wales is one of the best places for expansion to work.

No, that's just your strawman version of what he said. He, like me, though Crusaders could work if handled correctly.

Your version of events was "Crusaders may have moved to Wrexham but that isn't a failure. Now we have two clubs instead of one". Only now you've decided that SWS are doomed.

There was opposition but less so than to Crusaders or to this "plan". Speaking personally I was in favour of it as I probably would be to a Toulouse bid. 

is that it?

for the rest f the 110 years things just sort of happened in UK RL? 

Keeping it local

is that it?

for the rest f the 110 years things just sort of happened in UK RL? 

Many things "happened". I don't think there was ever a decade where there wasn't a Western League / Fulham RL / Welsh league / Mansfield Marksman etc type thing going on.

Many things "happened". I don't think there was ever a decade where there wasn't a Western League / Fulham RL / Welsh league / Mansfield Marksman etc type thing going on.

ah 

thanks

Keeping it local

She's wrong. It is an 11 hour flight and 8 hours back. That plus getting to / from the airport plus associated mucking about means that it is about 24 hours of travelling there and back.

You might want to get in touch with Air Transat and tell them they're crazy. They seem to think they can get from Gatwick to Toronto in 8 hours

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

The airline schedule agrees with me, not her. And yes I've been to Toronto. I took a plane from Manchester. It took 11 hours.

I've found a flight from Manchester to Toronto that takes 11 hours, but it involves stopping over at Heathrow

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

I've been to Toronto twice and I'm certain it didnt take 11 hours. It's a bit over 7 hours, jet stream or no. Flying via Chicago and sitting around for a bit (and getting screamed at by US customs) maybe but not direct.

Anyway......I dropped out of this 'ere thread a while ago so apologies if this has already been covered but I saw some quotes from Our Glorious Leader (Nigel to his friends) on Eurosport....

"They have built something already, they play international matches that attract thousands of people and they have got significant businesses behind them"

"They see a terrific opportunity and they were warmly received by the Championship clubs, who are certainly very enthusiastic"

"I think it's exciting in truth. They've been in the background for a couple of years now and we had to take care not to recklessly promote something that had no chance of succeeding"

"They were asked to re-work some of their thinking and thus far they have responded positively to everything we've asked for.

"That's why we presented them to the clubs because we thought they had reached the stage of maturity and development. We thought it was best to put it on the table and let people have a look at it"

"We'd probably need to make a decision by the start of next season or not long after. We are in uncharted waters but they are very passionate and enthusiastic and apparently well resourced."

so....the RFL have been chatting to them for some time and the big cheese is a)excited by it and b)think it's doable. The people in Canada are 'well resourced' and have 'significant businesses' behind them. The Championship clubs are very enthusiastic about it.

But nahhhhhhhhh, it'll never happen - Rupert Spires from Oxford RL ,Trevor Thunderbird from Gateshead & Frank Yonner from Oldham might be a bit tired the week after so we absolutely must not consider this plan. So what if they're flying them there for nowt and Rupert,Trevor& Frank would actually love to go, we mustnt let it happen it might shave seconds off their careers. All that sitting around on planes is dangerous, deep vein thrombosis I tells yer.

Tell 'em to eff right off. Canadians, pfffft. Who needs 'em?

there is the slight fly in the ointment that there doesnt seem to be many direct flights from Manchester anymore. But, if they can get a team into League 1 I'm prepared to believe they're possible of anything. Anyway, Hemel are fine from Heathrow. Interesting that our season tickets now include away travel - I'm sure they'll throw this one in too :jester:

You might want to get in touch with Air Transat and tell them they're crazy. They seem to think they can get from Gatwick to Toronto in 8 hours

Maybe I had a difficult flight but it was 11 for me.It certainly isn't quicker than getting to Wales as someone claimed.

Archived