Canadian team apply to join Championship 1 (merged threads)

If the Canadians can pay for it all then there is no reason to not do it. They are taking all the risk. I cannot understand a negative viewpoint om this.

"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stuarts-photography/156268557729980

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cannot understand a negative viewpoint om this.

C'mon Steef after 1,502 posts on here you must have concluded that some posters on here are a tad negative and will not support any idea that flies against their belief that a club is only bona fida if it:

Is Sponsored by their local butcher

Has a Chairman that doubles up as the local grocer

Still sells bovril at half time - plastic cups mind, as they are having a stab at trying to be modern

Stocks up annually on lard (bought for tuppence a lb from their sponsor) for their physio (oops to modern a word) ........ octogenarian flannel man (obviously they feel no woman ciuld ever manage to carry a bucket and sponge at the same time) to rub into to legs of their star player called Albert who steadfastly refuses to play elsewhere as he has an allotment to look after and plays darts and dominoes every afternoon

Has an income stream based on the half time chicken raffle

• 1 month later...

According to Everything Rugby League:

Breaking News: Canadian Team all but confirmed to play in England Rugby League. A delegation will travel from Canada shortly to meet with the RFL to dot the i's and cross the t's but they're confident that they have met the majority of funding criteria required. The team will be based out of Toronto.

Horrific that they'd even consider this. We need to make sure the league's fledgling southern expansion works first (as things stand every northern team may well beat every southern team)

Horrific that they'd even consider this. We need to make sure the league's fledgling southern expansion works first (as things stand every northern team may well beat every southern team)

Fully agree mate, I'm all for expansion but London rugby league is a mess and French rugby league needs support. With all the costs involved it would be easier to just start a pro Canadian or North American League.

Fully agree mate, I'm all for expansion but London rugby league is a mess and French rugby league needs support. With all the costs involved it would be easier to just start a pro Canadian or North American League.

Skolars and Hemel are really struggling to run reserve sides which is a problem. Conference League South needs splitting between midlands/south west and east/south east with an aim to get both divisions up to 10 sides. This should provide an underpinning for the league 1 expansion and help provide the grounding for future expansion. Toulouse into the new Championship would work better than last time due to the higher salary cap

At one time I would have been all for this just for the sake of expansion but I really can't see how it can work but I hope I'm proved wrong. Forgive my ignorance but do any Canadian sides play in the US leagues? Also is their still a competition in British Columbia?

At one time I would have been all for this just for the sake of expansion but I really can't see how it can work but I hope I'm proved wrong. Forgive my ignorance but do any Canadian sides play in the US leagues? Also is their still a competition in British Columbia?

I don't think there are any Canadian sides in the US competition.

There is a Nines competition in BC, but I don't know about what else they do. I believe their season kicks off in June, but it's not clear if this is Nines or the full game..

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

If this is being completely funded by the Canadians, then don't really see the issue. You can concentrate on the south all you want, but the funding available isn't there for that, so including a Canadian team won't make any difference to that.

I'm fascinated, yet baffled by this. I can't see it working at all, but am intrigued to see if it does. Just imagine if it did!

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

If this is being completely funded by the Canadians, then don't really see the issue. You can concentrate on the south all you want, but the funding available isn't there for that, so including a Canadian team won't make any difference to that.

I'm fascinated, yet baffled by this. I can't see it working at all, but am intrigued to see if it does. Just imagine if it did!

My thoughts exactly. The money involved wouldn't be going to UK development areas anyway, and it'll be the trip of a lifetime for many players. And if it all falls through, the Championship remains unchanged.

It would be quite amazing if it works.

If. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

What's not to like?

If it fails, it is no skin off our nose - the Championship carries on as before. Nobody loses a penny.

If it succeeds, it is certainly a boost to the Canadian game and great publicity for the British game. And a lot of fun.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

One of the most forward thinking moves the RFL have made!
Toronto is a brilliant city and by far the largest in Canada meaning there is so much economic and future playing potential there
The attendances for Wolverines and domestic games have also been impressive.
Obviously logistics could be an initial issue but the potential for the growth of the international game, and the sport generally, is massive. Definitely worth a punt!

If it fails, it is no skin off our nose - the Championship carries on as before. Nobody loses a penny.

If it succeeds, it is certainly a boost to the Canadian game and great publicity for the British game. And a lot of fun.

They're not talking Championship, they're talking League 1. Really not fair for part time players to have to play league games in another continent

Met the Guys in Toronto in March and as far as I understand they have a Sponsor who will pay for all travel costs of the teams. They said little difference in costs and time to fly from Toronto to the UK than to fly to Vancouver! They were mocked by many about developing RUgby League in Canada- but they have their own Rugby League show on free canada TVwith highlights from SL as well as Canada. They produce and run the whole think. They also have now 4 Toronto teams as well as others elsewhere. They have played internationals etc in the USA but have no teams playing there. From Toronto to NY is a good 8 Hr drive. They also believe that the media and interest from this will see the game in time become bigger than Rugby Union-. which is struggling in Canada and doesnt have any Free TV presence unlike Rugby League. The guys are a bit wacky but the success so far I would not rule them out doing well on this next crazy adventure.

They're not talking Championship, they're talking League 1. Really not fair for part time players to have to play league games in another continent

Getting time off work will be tricky for some, but if it's all paid for on the Canadian side, how many players do you think would turn down the opportunity?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived