Canadian team apply to join Championship 1 (merged threads)

Several people have romanticised about the Canadian/French love-in, so why don't they join their brothers and Make Rugby League love together?

If Toronto just want a starting base, they can join the French Elite One Championship, and enjoy their several weeks in the sun instead of damp, backwater Northern English towns, full of flat cap wearing dunces. Then, having built an attractive set-up, they can expect a friendly invite into the European(?) Super League, which they can dominate supported by their 'French' Canadian fans and Canadian cash. It's all about the money!!

How Toronto Boom will grow RL in wider Canada is beyond me, but I'm sure you'll all be delighted if they win the Grand Final & Challenge Cup on English soil. After all, isn't this what it's all about?

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You say that the Canadians need to prove a fan base and healthy infrastructure yet you support the inclusion of Coventry, Oxford and Gloucester that as far as i know these clubs do not have a large RL fan base based on attendances or have big wealthy backers but we welcome them because it spreads our game. What is the difference?

As for the finance issue ..... For christs sake do us all a favour and actually read the Canadian proposal!

I assume you are against this purely because of the distance involved because if this was a proposal from Dublin you would welcome it - or is Dublin too far away?

Are you aware of the Super 15 RU competition between teams from Australia, NZ and South Africa. This tournament has a massive profile and arguably keeps RU afloat and in the media in Australia. The Dunedin Highlanders have a 16 hour trip to Cape Town. Manchester to Toronto is 8 hours.

Manchester to Toronto is 11 hours and 8 hours back (difference due prevailing winds). 

Super Rugby is a full-time professional league, Championship 1 players are employed on a game fee basis - they have jobs to go to.

You can't ask a builder, a teacher or a plumber to fly to Toronto, get used to the time difference, play a rugby game, travel back and then go to work the next day.

The finances aren't going to change the distances involved.

Perhaps a better bet would be a small end-off-season tournament held in Canada every year? Maybe feature the winners of the League 1, French Elite 1, USARL, Jamaican RL and Canadian RL in a Northern Hemisphere Club Cup?

Surely that'd be a better sale to the Canadian public?

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Ludicrous idea.

Two things:

1. Where are they getting the money from?

2. If they have said money, why don't they use it to grow the sport in Canada and improve the standard?

Canada has done very well with international crowds, but the domestic game in Ontario is pretty dreadful with new teams appearing and disappearing each year and the season being about 4 weeks long. The better idea would be to join up with the USARL, as it's not uncommon to have Canadian teams in American leagues. 

You really do talk a load of tripe. The game WAS better off, we did not have the financial mess that some clubs (and probably some that don't let on they are struggling) but if you don't mind this idea more than likely going belly up within a couple of years and the rest of the RL family left to pick up the pieces then you are welcome to it.

There is precious little to hang on to in our game and I don't want it going te same way as football which if we keep getting these stupid ideas we will.

On the point of Catalans, THAT particular area had some substance and history in the game. Until the Canadians can prove they can establish both the fanbase and a healthy infrastructure then I would not touch them with a ten foot pole. I would sooner se the likes of Coventry, Oxford, Gloucester and Hemel thrive than see this what I think is a ridiculous idea be given any consideration without guarantees that the Canadians could hold a sustainable foothold in the league for at least 10 years without commiting financial suicide. Futhermore, WHO finances the clubs / supporters trips out there, it could even end up, including cups, playing them twice away in a week. The whole idea is preposterous whimsy.

Because someone doesn't think the same as you it doesn't mean that their ideas are tripe. By the way tripe is a nutritious and increasingly fashionable food commodity

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

Perhaps a better bet would be a small end-off-season tournament held in Canada every year? Maybe feature the winners of the League 1, French Elite 1, USARL, Jamaican RL and Canadian RL in a Northern Hemisphere Club Cup?

Surely that'd be a better sale to the Canadian public?

i like this idea and it coud even be expanded to include teams from some of the other European leagues such as Serbia and Ukraine

Manchester to Toronto is 11 hours and 8 hours back (difference due prevailing winds). 

Super Rugby is a full-time professional league, Championship 1 players are employed on a game fee basis - they have jobs to go to.

You can't ask a builder, a teacher or a plumber to fly to Toronto, get used to the time difference, play a rugby game, travel back and then go to work the next day.

The difference is mostly due to the earth's rotation.

The schedule is announced months in advance, there's no reason why the vast majority of players wouldn't be able to take 2-3 days off every year to take a free vacation with the lads at the club.

Yeah people seem to forget 8 out of 14 clubs in league 1 will be expansion clubs who realistically aren't ready for far flung crazy ideas.

Why wouldn't these clubs be ready?

These clubs have great people who had the gumption, creativity, strong work ethic to organise, create and develop a semi-pro club in a non RL area but according to you they are incapable of getting 17 players to an airport for an all expenses paid trip of a lifetime when they have months to organise it!

I'll take your word that it is 11 hours. My info came off a website that might have been incorrect.

Why can't a builder, plumber or teacher do as you say? Fly out on wednesday or thursday, play on saturday, fly back on sunday and work on tuesday? So 4 days leave is required. I know things aren't rosy in the UK but people can still take leave can't they.

We are only asking CC1 players to do this once per year.

No its not.  Its the prevailing winds as originally suggested.

OK, it could be partly due to the prevailing winds, but the earth's rotation also plays a part, because when you travel from west to east your destination is actually coming towards you.

I'll take your word that it is 11 hours. My info came off a website that might have been incorrect.

Why can't a builder, plumber or teacher do as you say? Fly out on wednesday or thursday, play on saturday, fly back on sunday and work on tuesday? So 4 days leave is required. I know things aren't rosy in the UK but people can still take leave can't they.

We are only asking CC1 players to do this once per year.

I'm not sure you're serious here or not??

But teachers just can't rake leave... neither can most nurses. And the self employed would lose money...

of course, you could still be takin the hiss, in which case fair dos owd cock

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

with the present winds

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

flights flying west to east are doing 120mph+ more than flights east to west.

http://www.flightradar24.com/52.85,0.69/7

as stated it all comes down to winds. a flight from heathrow to Toronto last night took just under nine hours.

flight AC869 will take close to eleven hours today with the winds at present (lon to tor)

flight AC858 did Toronto to London in 7.5 hours.

HOLD ON TIGHT TO YOUR DREAM.

liverpool fc-rome 1977

wigan rl-wembley 1985

redsox-2004

GB RL-?????

Lancashire cricket 2011

I'm not sure you're serious here or not??

But teachers just can't rake leave... neither can most nurses. And the self employed would lose money...

of course, you could still be takin the hiss, in which case fair dos owd cock

how did players manage to go on lengthy Australasian tours before full time professionalism?

One of the main driving instincts of the forces of reaction is why something can't be done, usually with the codicil of 'it's never been done before'

This idea might not come to pass, and if it does it might not work out(just think of the almost limitless opportunities!),

but for crying out loud let's live a little. 

Keeping it local

If they are prepared to spend big like they say,why not go the whole hog and apply to be fastracked into SL?

because of the structure of the league and the imagined need for jeopardy. A Canadian club cannot compete in a part-time league. The logistics and practicalities make it impossible.They couldnt even exist with the risk of having to compete in a part time league. Part-time players cannot compete in a transcontinental competition.

People will argue that we could make salary cap exemptions, Which would damage the integrity of the lower leagues to a level there is actually no point in forcing them in to a league that they would need to operate outside of the rules of. 

If a Canadian club had the money that is being talked of, and the commitment to really make a go of it. Brilliant, They can have a place in SL in 5 years time, not be subject the damaging insecurity of relegation. They can have the next 5 World Club challenges and they have 5 years to start bringing through players, they can tour, play friendlies, even get some away games in the challenge cup, get as many coaches as we can out there, get as many coach trained out there we can, get referees trained, get some development officers there get some of the best youngsters in the academies and lower league sides over here ready to go back and build towards being a professional sports outfit. 

If they are prepared to spend big like they say,why not go the whole hog and apply to be fastracked into SL?

there would be absolute hell on.

haven't we only just introduced a system to prevent that very thing happening? 

Keeping it local

Sod it. Create a third pro league. Major League Rugby.

Catalans, Toulouse, Aude, Avignon, Toronto, Jacksonville, Kingston Hurricanes, Crusaders. They can join in at the Super 8s stage.

If these Canadians are serious, they can fund the lot!

I have no idea of how serious they are or how much funding they can attract.

What I do know is the enthusiasm they have for sport and rugby in particular. I have been fortunate enough to watch rugby in British Columbia. They absolutely love the game. The folks I spoke with didn't appear divided on the union/league thing either. Most love both and were happy playing either.

Now, watching Fev in the south of France was absolutely fabulous... but BC???

Logistics suggests nigh on impossible but that would be another fabulous experience. ... For me at least.

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

Sod it. Create a third pro league. Major League Rugby.

Catalans, Toulouse, Aude, Avignon, Toronto, Jacksonville, Kingston Hurricanes, Crusaders. They can join in at the Super 8s stage.

If these Canadians are serious, they can fund the lot!

I watched the union results on the news last night, some cup competition. I was jealous to death.

I'm pigged off with being stuck in a corner.  I've lived with it nearly all my rugby following life. What pigs me off even more is that people think we can't do anything about it, and what pigs me off even more is that people, think that we shouldn't.

Keeping it local

Archived