Canadian team apply to join Championship 1 (merged threads)

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this is being completely funded by the Canadians, then don't really see the issue. You can concentrate on the south all you want, but the funding available isn't there for that, so including a Canadian team won't make any difference to that.

I'm fascinated, yet baffled by this. I can't see it working at all, but am intrigued to see if it does. Just imagine if it did!

depends on how we quantify 'work'. Like the new system I assume 'work' will simply change to fit people's pre existing bias.

I can't imagine many league 1 players complaining about this!! If they do they want their head checking!

And league 1 having a Canadian team has no bearing on development of the game in the south, that needs focus with or without this move.

This does seem a bit of a mad idea, but why not give it a go, when the young players are coming thru at some of our current clubs maybe they'll be motivated to stick with league and their club with the thought of some of the trips they can look forward to.

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

Completely crazy concept , but possibly just crazy enough to work

I'd be interested in people's opinions if this was a SL club rather than a Championship 1 club ?

If the money and playing standard was there I'd support it for a SL club. But I'm very opposed to it at League 1 level

So when we thought we would struggle to develop enough French clubs to make a French conference in SL, we thought outside of the box and brought in a Canadian team to go along the French-Canadian link. Genius ;)

(I'm not up on my Canadian geography, but in pretty sure Toronto isn't that populated by French-Canadians! Still, never mind!)

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

I'm loving this idea.

It's the sort of thing that I'd welcome with wide open arms and the stuff of fantasy for this sport only a few years ago.

I'd accept fully-funded teams from anywhere on the planet.

I'd happily fly to Canada one day, play the next and fly home the next.

What an experience that would be.

In fact, I'd even sign for the Canadian team for a year or two.

An extremely exciting proposition and I desperately hope it happens and works out.

So league 1's semi pro players will be expected to travel to Wales, london, Toronto and France next year. Let's hope they have some understanding bosses

And some semi pro players will be expected to travel to Swinton, Oldham etc. But they won't be flying there with expenses covered.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just wondering, but as I'm assuming they'll be using local players for this, what standard the Canadian game is at? I was under the impression the Canadian national team usually get beat by British amateur rep teams. 

I think there's a lot of people wondering about the standard of the Canadian teams.  But I haven't seen any results against Brit amateur rep teams for years.  I suspect the standard of RL in Canada has increased dramatically in recent years.  It poses the question how you measure the standard of rugby league or compare leagues if the teams haven't played each other? 

I predict one of two things is going to happen: either they are going to thrash the other championship 1 teams each week, or they will be thrashed themselves each week.  What's the chances that they will be the same standard as the other clubs in the league? Pretty slim.

I've no objection to this however, we live in interesting times!

Assuming they get some kind of salary cap exemption, it's likely that they'll sign a good few English and Australian lads. They may also recruit some domestic Canadian Rugby Union players who, at least for now, don't have a professional team to play for.

Horrific that they'd even consider this. We need to make sure the league's fledgling southern expansion works first (as things stand every northern team may well beat every southern team)

I can't see how the proposed self-funded Canadian team is linked to the RFL's ability (or not) to expand the game elsewhere in the UK.  

The Canadians would be bringing money and glamour into the UK league.  This can only help with spreading the gospel and breaking out of northern stereotypes that many people pin on us.

Assuming they get some kind of salary cap exemption, it's likely that they'll sign a good few English and Australian lads. They may also recruit some domestic Canadian Rugby Union players who, at least for now, don't have a professional team to play for.

Well they might sign some players from elsewhere.  They should be entitled to sign players from elsewhere with the same restrictions as any other club in Championship 1.  But I hope that they are planning on using mainly native Canadian players, otherwise a massive development opportunity will be lost.

If its not mainly Canadian players, then you really have to question what the point of their participation is.

Fully agree mate, I'm all for expansion but London rugby league is a mess and French rugby league needs support. With all the costs involved it would be easier to just start a pro Canadian or North American League.

I'm sure you're correct in that French RL would welcome support and London RL would love an influx of money.  But who are we to tell the Canadians how to spend their money?  Why would the Canadians put their money into London RL?

They're not talking Championship, they're talking League 1. Really not fair for part time players to have to play league games in another continent

I can't see the issue.  The players would need one or two days off work, and they also get paid (to a limited extent, I concede) for their time off work.

BTW, what is the average wage at a League 1 club? Typically?

Completely crazy concept , but possibly just crazy enough to work

I'd be interested in people's opinions if this was a SL club rather than a Championship 1 club ?

I wouldn't be against it in Superleague (in the longer term), but there would need to be some very strict entry conditions.

I would suggest:

a) an established base of local clubs producing players, showing signs of expansion

B) an established commercial base (probably already have this by the sounds of it)

c) established support at a minimum acceptable level (5,000, say)

d) secure tenancy or ground ownership

e) initially fund flights for opposition teams

etc etc

Once admitted, and after a qualifying period where their value to the league has been established, then each club should fund their own travel costs.

Just wondering, but as I'm assuming they'll be using local players for this, what standard the Canadian game is at? I was under the impression the Canadian national team usually get beat by British amateur rep teams.

Have you seen the standard in the lower reaches of league 1!?! Shouldn't be an issue ....

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

I can't see the issue.  The players would need one or two days off work, and they also get paid (to a limited extent, I concede) for their time off work.

BTW, what is the average wage at a League 1 club? Typically?

Exactly. It's only Canada, it's not the moon. A few hours flight there and back and a game in the middle, maybe a four-day trip, once a year. I'm pretty sure most people could manage that

I wouldn't be against it in Superleague (in the longer term), but there would need to be some very strict entry conditions.

I would suggest:

a) an established base of local clubs producing players, showing signs of expansion

B) an established commercial base (probably already have this by the sounds of it)

c) established support at a minimum acceptable level (5,000, say)

d) secure tenancy or ground ownership

e) initially fund flights for opposition teams

etc etc

Once admitted, and after a qualifying period where their value to the league has been established, then each club should fund their own travel costs.

5,000 in League 1?! There are Super League clubs that struggle to get that figure!
Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

5,000 in League 1?! There are Super League clubs that struggle to get that figure!

Ha ha, not quite, you've missunderstood me!

These were my suggested criteria for entry to Superleague.

They would clearly have to get promoted to the championship first and play the likes of Bradford, Fev, Fax, Leigh etc.

Its not inconceivable that a top team in the Championship hoping to gain promotion to Superleague could pull 5,000.

If they can't achieve this (or close to this figure) then maybe they (or any other team aspiring to Superleague) are not up to scratch!

Archived