Rugby chat on the cricket

Just flicked onto the test between NZ and Sri Lanka and it's great to hear the commentators talking RL. Russell Arnold, a Sri Lankan is a Wests fan, but what was lovely to hear was the NZ commentator speaking about the Warriors and the Kiwis as if everyone would know all about them.

We're constantly told that RL is the minor code in NZ, but judging by the natural nature of this conversation, it's closing the gap very quickly.

Great stuff.

People called Romans they go the house

Just flicked onto the test between NZ and Sri Lanka and it's great to hear the commentators talking RL. Russell Arnold, a Sri Lankan is a Wests fan, but what was lovely to hear was the NZ commentator speaking about the Warriors and the Kiwis as if everyone would know all about them.

We're constantly told that RL is the minor code in NZ, but judging by the natural nature of this conversation, it's closing the gap very quickly.

Great stuff.

Talking about RL with familiarity is sometimes lacking in British coverage. Good to see I'm not the only one looking out for it.

Talking about RL with familiarity is sometimes lacking in British coverage. Good to see I'm not the only one looking out for it.

I've mentioned it before, but the late Christopher Martin-Jenkins of all people, following a passing mention of RL on Test Match Special, opined suddenly and quite passionately that Rugby League players were some of the most genuine, honest and inspiring sportspeople he had ever interviewed.

I was a fan of CMJ already, but that was a (pleasant) shock.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Great stuff.

Oh wow.... Shore hope you taped it

I recall on TMS some time ago, Tony Lewis saying at Headingley,  he'd heard someone say "it's that Wally Lewis, and then someone else say "no it's not, he looks nothing like him"

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

I recall on TMS some time ago, Tony Lewis saying at Headingley,  he'd heard someone say "it's that Wally Lewis, and then someone else say "no it's not, he looks nothing like him"

:D They look, shall we say, a teensy bit different!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

This morning on the sports slot on Today, it accidentally slipped out in a discussion about the Asia soccer cup, that Rugby League was one of the big three sports in Oz, AFL, RL and Cricket.  No mention of Union.  I'm sure somewhere in the Beeb someone is getting their marching orders about now for allowing this to be aired.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Oh wow.... Shore hope you taped it

Thanks for getting involved. Well done.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Great stuff.

that is because everyone in New Zealand has Heard of the NZ Warriors and the Kiwi's

Which is great.

We're sold a different impression of it over here.

Are we?  I was of the understanding that the NRL got massive viewing figures over there, and all the Kiwis I know are well aware of the Kiwis and the Warriors (some like RL some hate it).   There's only 4.5 million people (less than Yorkshire on it's own) and it's quite a remote country, they're going to have all heard of a club team that plays in a comp as big as the NRL and a national team that competes well in an international code of football (and even wins tournaments).  Apart from union they aren't very good at other sports.

Are we?  I was of the understanding that the NRL got massive viewing figures over there, and all the Kiwis I know are well aware of the Kiwis and the Warriors (some like RL some hate it).   There's only 4.5 million people (less than Yorkshire on it's own) and it's quite a remote country, they're going to have all heard of a club team that plays in a comp as big as the NRL and a national team that competes well in an international code of football (and even wins tournaments).  Apart from union they aren't very good at other sports.

I know I've  posted this before, but I was in a bar in Istanbul during the last RUWC and there were loads of All Blacks supporters, waiting presumably for the All Blacks game to come on TV, meanwhile the Warriors were playing West Tigers (I think) and the Blacks fans were cheering them on like crazy.

Clement Attlee.

I know I've  posted this before, but I was in a bar in Istanbul during the last RUWC and there were loads of All Blacks supporters, waiting presumably for the All Blacks game to come on TV, meanwhile the Warriors were playing West Tigers (I think) and the Blacks fans were cheering them on like crazy.

I remember being in a London pub (Pontefract Castle, I think) for a GB v NZ RL test match several years ago, on the same day that the All Blacks were playing England RU at Twickenham. There were a load of Kiwi RU fans there with us, getting into the match as much as anyone. A good night out, that.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Apart from union they aren't very good at other sports.

This is the country that's seventh in medals per capita in the history of the Olympics.

The Kiwis do pretty well in Sport.

Union

League

Sailing

Netball

Cricket

Olympics

As John Fisher mentioned above, for a Country with a population of a large City they punch well above their weight.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

This is the country that's seventh in medals per capita in the history of the Olympics.

Yorkshire were twelfth in the medals table at the last Olympics and are not (yet) even a country!

Clement Attlee.

Thanks for getting involved. Well done.

My deepest apologies.. I seriously though Mr Posh was having a lend with this topic, Given RL is a rather big deal in this part of the world and it has high profile fans like Russell Crowe,Snoop Dogg, Hugh Jackman, just to name the highest profile ones.RL has even been on the Oprah show you know! But it is great that some Sri lankan cricket commentator follows the Tigpies. I meet a Indian banker fella a month ago who follows Canberra... Just saying as all  ;)  ;)

The Kiwis do pretty well in Sport.

Union

League

Sailing

Netball

Cricket

Olympics

As John Fisher mentioned above, for a Country with a population of a large City they punch well above their weight.

Not forgetting the one-woman medal machine Valerie Adams.

NZ are pretty strong in Track Cycling too.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

My deepest apologies.. I seriously though Mr Posh was having a lend with this topic, Given RL is a rather big deal in this part of the world and it has high profile fans like Russell Crowe,Snoop Dogg, Hugh Jackman, just to name the highest profile ones.RL has even been on the Oprah show you know! But it is great that some Sri lankan cricket commentator follows the Tigpies. I meet a Indian banker fella a month ago who follows Canberra... Just saying as all  ;)  ;)

Not at all.

I'm well aware of the profile of RL in Aus at the moment - despite the general impression given from the media over here - it's definitely in the top three most popular sports in Australia.

Obviously, I was a little ignorant of its status in NZ - I had believed the stories that it was still very much a minority sport. It seems from the posts on here that isn't case - which is a great thing (I remember hearing about the country uniting behind the Warriors for the NRL final, but had assumed it had fallen away after then).

People called Romans they go the house

Not at all.

I'm well aware of the profile of RL in Aus at the moment - despite the general impression given from the media over here - it's definitely in the top three most popular sports in Australia.

Obviously, I was a little ignorant of its status in NZ - I had believed the stories that it was still very much a minority sport. It seems from the posts on here that isn't case - which is a great thing (I remember hearing about the country uniting behind the Warriors for the NRL final, but had assumed it had fallen away after then).

Fair enough then..

Not forgetting the one-woman medal machine Valerie Adams.

NZ are pretty strong in Track Cycling too.

I bundled that under the Olympic banner...

;)

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Yorkshire were twelfth in the medals table at the last Olympics and are not (yet) even a country!

Except Yorkshire claimed a medal in every team sport going to be able to reach that conclusion.

Archived