Moves, Rumours,Judiciary, Injuries ...

5 hours ago, Futtocks said:

The Gold Coast retain two stars: https://www.titans.com.au/news/2023/08/11/titans-duo-here-to-stay-on-the-gold-coast/

David Fifita's extended his deal by three years, while Tino Fa’asuamaleaui has signed a 10 (ten(!)) year contract.

Crazy…10 years……need new management at Titans.  He will probably spend 5 of those suspended.

20 hours ago, DavidM said:

I’m reading that Lachlan Miller has signed for Leeds . I’m thinking Mat Dufty but hopefully it works out better than that 

I see why you’ve made the comparison as there are similarities but I think that’s a little unfair on Miller. He’s raw, has pace and the odd error in his game like Dufty but I think he offers more than Dufty and is more consistent. Dufty is rocks and diamonds player and a huge difference between his best and worst performance, when in the latter he seemingly is disinterested and lacking effort. Those aren’t traits I see in Miller. 

Be interesting to see how it pans out though, I presume he will play full back and Myler in the halves, with the latter losing a yard of pace. He’s got 2 kids under 2 so will need all the support the Rhinos can give as it’s a big life change. Hope him and his family settles

LUAI'S INJURY

Scan results on Friday morning (25/8/2023) have led Panthers to target a four-week recovery, which would have Luai primed to play in the grand final qualifier. “I'm all good man. That's part of footy,” Luai told the Herald when asked about his emotions following the injury.

• 2 weeks later...

So sad to see Ryan Papenhuyzen injured again so soon after returning from his previous serious injury.

There were fears he had sustained a compound fracture of his ankle.

He has undergone surgery.

Hopefully he will be able to return for training before Season 2024 starts.

“Melbourne Storm star player, Ryan Papenhuyzen, has this morning undergone surgery on a fractured right ankle suffered in Friday night’s loss to the Brisbane Broncos,” the Storm said in a statement.

NewsCorp reports he had six screws and a plate inserted into his leg.

Storm General Manager Football, Frank Ponissi, said it was huge loss for the side, but Papenhuyzen was maintaining a positive outlook.

“We’re obviously devastated for Ryan suffering another setback after spending a significant time away from the game after injuring his knee last year,” Ponissi said.

“He’s worked extremely hard to get back to the NRL over that time and left no stone unturned in his recovery.

“We know that he is the ultimate professional on and off the field and this is just another challenge that he will take on with both hands.

“His surgery went well this morning and, at this stage, we expect him to be back training in the new year but for now we’re focused on ensuring he is getting the right care.”

• 4 weeks later...

Brisbane Broncos back-up dummy half Cory Paix is reportedly set to push for an exit from the club.

Paix has been in Brisbane's junior system for many years and has played a mix of halves and hooker throughout his time in the pathways.

That time culminated with an appearance in the junior Queensland MaroonsState of Origin side before he was able to debut in the NRL, where he has mainly spent his time coming off the interchange bench.

Since his debut in 2020, he has now made 44 NRL appearances, but only played 15 games in 2023. While he combined solidly with Billy Walters during the opening exchanges of the season, he was ultimately replaced by Tyson Smoothy on Brisbane's bench for the run to the finals, where the side ultimately fell short against the Penrith Panthers in the grand final.

According to Wide World of Sports though, Paix is less than impressed with the decision to demote him behind Smoothy, and is now requesting an exit.

Melbourne Storm star fullback Sua Fa'alogo is set to be placed under lock and key by the club, with contract negotiations underway for a deal potentially through to the end of 2027.

Fa'alogo is rated as one of the best young talents in the game and has proven it in limited opportunity under the bright lights so far.

The light shone on him in that Samoan game where he had a belter of a game.

Edited by Graham

• 1 month later...

If we are to believe Fox Sports, Josh Papalii has learnt how to bend the laws of time. From an article today:

Papali’i played just 18 games in 2023, which is his lowest total since 2011. Despite lessening minute totals each season, Papali’i still averaged 129 minutes a game in 2023.

Wow! How many minutes was he doing in previous seasons? Based on that you would expect the Raiders to extend his contract immediately.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/nrl-2023-addin-fonuablake-dragons-transfer-whispers-where-will-he-sign-shane-flanagan-ben-hunt-sharks-wests-tigers-rugby-league-news-reaction/news-story/4df7ec77d93e34f6e20ccf1ac5f4e633

• 4 weeks later...

Wests and Melbourne have swapped Shawn Blore with Justin Olam.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 15/01/2024 at 00:51, DavidM said:

I’d say the Dragons were having a pretty bad off season but it wouldnt really cover it

Were you referring to the Volkman story?

Ronald Volkman was released 2 years early from his Warriors contract. He negotiated a deal with St George but at training they discovered he needed shoulder surgery which would have ruled him out for the entirety of his one-year deal. Lucky for the Dragons his contract wasn't registered with the NRL yet so they have torn it up leaving Volkman nowhere with a busted shoulder.

2 hours ago, Farmduck said:

Were you referring to the Volkman story?

Ronald Volkman was released 2 years early from his Warriors contract. He negotiated a deal with St George but at training they discovered he needed shoulder surgery which would have ruled him out for the entirety of his one-year deal. Lucky for the Dragons his contract wasn't registered with the NRL yet so they have torn it up leaving Volkman nowhere with a busted shoulder.

Not specifically no , it was just one thing among quite a few 

Now the Players' Association has an opinion about the Volkman situation:  https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-01-22/ronald-volkman-rugby-league-dragons-warriors/103375820

Apart from the fact that he was already at training at St George before his contract was registered, I don't have any problems with the Dragons' behaviour here. You can't expect them to follow through on a 1-year deal on a player who will be out for the entire season, particularly when he already had the medical condition when he was negotiating with the club.

I've heard of cases where players attended training at clubs they weren't contracted to, just to keep fit. At this time of the year it's all fitness training. There's no St George-specific plays or drills. It's easier for a non-contracted player to maintain the intensity level at a club than it is if they were down at the park on their own.

At Wests, there is only one player remaining from former coach Michael Maguire's first season in charge in 2019. Alex Twal.

Today they served Nofoaluma with a termination notice.  https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-01-23/wests-tigers-cut-david-nofoaluma-nrl-season-2024/103380590

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campbell Graham will miss up to 6 months after sternum surgery. Obvious question: why now? Why not have the surgery as soon as last season finished? He'd be halfway through his recovery by now.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-02-08/rabbitohs-lose-campbell-graham-for-up-to-six-months-with-injury/103444814