Moves, Rumours,Judiciary, Injuries ...

8 hours ago, Graham said:

South Sydney Rabbitohs are unlikely to ban Sam Burgess ahead of their preliminary final clash against the Roosters, according to the Sydney Morning Herald.

It is understood that Burgess has claimed the lewd photos and video chat were consensually shared, in which several Souths players exposed themselves to an anonymous woman via Burgess’ Facebook messenger account.

Pressure is mounting for the NRL and the Rabbitohs to take action against Burgess, with Roosters fans especially petitioning for the star forward to be stood down.

South Sydney have designated a five-person panel to investigate the claims, appointing NRL investigator Karyn Murphy to ensure the matter is dealt with expediently and in an unbiased manner.

What is it with these blokes and nudity. First of all the Bulldogs with their naked  drunkenness that resulted in them losing Jaycar sponsorship and now this.

Imo pathetic.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Nathan Cleary will remain a Penrith Panther long-term, with the 20-year-old agreeing to terms on a new contract that will run through until the end of the 2023 season.

According to NRL.com, the Panthers will upgrade the final year of his current deal, before adding on another four years, which will make him the highest paid player at the foot of the mountains.

Cleary is expected to sign the deal within the next 48 hours.

The young star was rumoured to have been considering a move to the Tigers to play under his father Ivan, although Cleary decided against waiting until November 1, when he would have been on the market and the Tigers would have been able to offer him a contract.

Latest Souths and the Sam/Rabbits Investigation:

The South Sydney sexting scandal will be completed in the next 48 hours, as the Rabbitohs look to put the issue behind them as they prepare for their clash with the Roosters on Saturday.

According to Fox Sports, the Rabbitohs in conjunction with the NRL Integrity Unit will speed up the process on Tuesday, as they look to make contact with the woman at the centre of the scandal, who is currently overseas.

Sam Burgess remains the biggest name involved in the saga, as the unsolicited images were sent from his phone to the woman.

“What I can tell you is the Integrity (Unit) team which has got Karen Murphy on, is making an effort tonight to contact the lady who’s in South Africa out of our timezone, which has made it more difficult to have a proper interview,” veteran league reporter Phil Rothfield said on Monday.

“Whether she cooperates or not will be a telling thing in this investigation.”

Paul Kent spoke on the issue on NRL 360, and believes the woman’s story may not be holding up, which could make a big impact on the outcome of the investigation.

“The early narrative that went around about this woman that she was offended and surprised by what happened is not quite holding water,” Kent told NRL360.

“It all depends on whether it’s consensual as opposed to non-consensual which is what we were originally led to believe.

”There are a lot of ramifications. South Sydney have a game to get ready for, they don’t know if Sam (Burgess) will be available for this game depending on what happens, they need clarity as soon as possible.

“The NRL needs to get it out for the sake of the game as soon as possible. I’m led to believe it’ll be sorted at least internally and South Sydney will know where they’re going within the next 48 hours… But I’m pretty sure Burgess will play this weekend.”

Burgess is set to front the media at South Sydney’s open media session at 1.30pm on Tuesday.

St George Illawarra have re-signed Jordan Pereira for a further two seasons.

The winger will now be with the Dragons until the end of the 2020 NRL Telstra Premiership season.

The 25-year-old made his NRL debut in Round 19 against the North Queensland Cowboys. Pereira remained in the side until the Dragons’ semi-final elimination to South Sydney, playing a total of nine games.

The New Zealand-born Pereira said it meant the world to him to re-signed with the Dragons.

“Five years ago I was playing park footy. Now I have to pinch myself considering I’m playing with the likes of Jack de Belin, Tyson Frizell, Ben Hunt and Gareth Widdop. It’s definitely a blessing,” Pereira told the Dragons club website. 

“It’s really good news for my fiancé and I to add that stability and security to our future. Being here gives us that extra bit of happiness. We wanted to stay and the two extra pre-seasons will be so beneficial to me, particularly for my development.”

“I’m very happy to be running around in first grade now and it’s definitely something I don’t want to give up. I’m very proud to be representing this club and hopefully there’s more NRL games to come.”

2 hours ago, Graham said:

St George Illawarra have re-signed Jordan Pereira for a further two seasons.

The winger will now be with the Dragons until the end of the 2020 NRL Telstra Premiership season.

The 25-year-old made his NRL debut in Round 19 against the North Queensland Cowboys. Pereira remained in the side until the Dragons’ semi-final elimination to South Sydney, playing a total of nine games.

The New Zealand-born Pereira said it meant the world to him to re-signed with the Dragons.

“Five years ago I was playing park footy. Now I have to pinch myself considering I’m playing with the likes of Jack de Belin, Tyson Frizell, Ben Hunt and Gareth Widdop. It’s definitely a blessing,” Pereira told the Dragons club website. 

“It’s really good news for my fiancé and I to add that stability and security to our future. Being here gives us that extra bit of happiness. We wanted to stay and the two extra pre-seasons will be so beneficial to me, particularly for my development.”

“I’m very happy to be running around in first grade now and it’s definitely something I don’t want to give up. I’m very proud to be representing this club and hopefully there’s more NRL games to come.”

He’s done really good . I like him , ball of energy and not really put a foot wrong 

Domestic violence charges against Zane Musgrove were dropped at a Sydney Court.

An application for an apprehended domestic violence order, on behalf of Musgrove’s former girlfriend Candice Melanie Heise, and two counts of common assault - one citing domestic violence - were withdrawn and dismissed.

But Musgrove, 22, was convicted and fined $1100 for one count of destroying or damaging property in May this year and also ordered to pay $500 in compensation.

A spokesman for the Rabbitohs said the club was keeping the NRL Integrity Unit informed of the matter and would consider further punishment.

“The Court’s judgement will now be reviewed very closely by the Club to determine whether further sanctions are required,” the spokesman said in a statement on Wednesday

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/09/21/south-sydney-rabbitohs-players-cleared-by-investigation/

This appears to have been consensual. Apologies to the Rabbitohs, I may not like them, but  that's nothing about how I feel about  people being falsely accused.

• Thanks 1

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

13 minutes ago, Graham said:

This may yet be explored in the courts as Sam Burgess is seeking legal advice and could decide to follow this through. Media coverage (e.g. Daily Telegraph? - Aus) may be wondering if they will be in the firing line as a result of their coverage.

Can’t blame them at all if they do . 

Scans have shown Cronk has a "severe shoulder injury" recovery time 1 to 5 weeks depending on severity. Roosters state they will decide on game day. Imo he will not play.

Slater cleared!!

Billy Slater has been granted the chance of a fairy tale finish to his rugby league career, with the Melbourne Storm great cleared to play in Sunday's NRL grand final after avoiding suspension for a shoulder charge.

Slater, who will retire after the grand final, was found not guilty of a grade-one charge at a marathon judiciary hearing — lasting close to three hours — held at NRL Central in Sydney, meaning he is available for the Storm for the season decider against the Sydney Roosters at the Olympic stadium.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-25/billy-slater-cleared-at-nrl-judiciary-hearing/10303374

7 hours ago, DavidM said:

Great precedent for guys up for shoulder charges from now on 

Correct decision it wasn't dangerous,the game is turning into netball if challenges like that warrent suspensions and there has been similar ones throughout the season that have gone unpunished.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Correct decision it wasn't dangerous,the game is turning into netball if challenges like that warrent suspensions and there has been similar ones throughout the season that have gone unpunished.

I wouldn’t argue on the overall changing nature of the game and where the perameters are now on various things . I just thought they’d uphold the strictures of what they’d brought in , but obviously his defence brought enough doubt and mitigation to decide the issue . It’s quite something in itself when the game comes down to pretty much court like proceedings and the expertise of top lawyers !  

Despite suffering a severe shoulder injury during Sydney’s Preliminary Final win over the Rabbitohs last Saturday night, Roosters halfback Cooper Cronk is backing himself in to play on Sunday, although he understands he still has a lot of work to do.

Cronk had removed the sling he began the week with when speaking to the media at a press conference on Thursday, and is still doing everything he can to get his body right for Sunday’s decider.

Roosters coach Trent Robinson admitted “the average player wouldn’t play”, although Cronk spoke of improvements in his rehabilitation, as he looks to line up in his eighth grand final.

“I’ve had a couple of improvements [on Thursday] and I definitely needed some,” Cronk said.

“I think most people in this room know I’m pretty diligent and pretty professional in what I do but I have gone up 1000 knots this week.

“It is just about whether I can manage it, can I deal with the pain and can I get enough range and movement and strength to get through a game of football.

“To be able to do some of the things to get stability, movement and range, it’s okay. It’s improvement. But it’s not enough to tackle Jesse Bromwich or Dale Finucaneso I have got a fair bit of work to do.”

Cronk was asked if he would undergo tackling practice at training to test out the shoulder, and he understands he’ll need to be able to lay some tackles if he’s to play and help his side.

“Yes, it is going to happen on Sunday so I will have to do something like that,” Cronk said.

“Maybe I can pick a smaller bloke like [Luke] Keary but it is going to get to a point where I have to test it.

“I will tell you right now, the only reason I won’t play on Sunday is because I am physically incapable of doing it”.

Big news: Ben Barba has signed to play for the Cowboys in 2019.

Barba’s signing will provide the Cowboys with the attacking fullback option they missed in 2018 and will allow Michael Morgan to return to the five-eighth or even half back position.

Barba's experience will be important after the Cowboys have said goodbye to Thurston, Coote, Kane Linnett and Shaun Fensom.

25 minutes ago, Graham said:

Big news: Ben Barba has signed to play for the Cowboys in 2019.

Barba’s signing will provide the Cowboys with the attacking fullback option they missed in 2018 and will allow Michael Morgan to return to the five-eighth or even half back position.

Barba's experience will be important after the Cowboys have said goodbye to Thurston, Coote, Kane Linnett and Shaun Fensom.

Are you receiving your news from Australia by carrier pigeon by any chance!