Oops the Bulls slip up tonight

I've been expecting this for weeks. Lowes use of his squad and interchanges baffles me. Sunday I think he used only 9 of his interchanges. Villa wasn't brought on til 12 mins from the end, when o'Brian was clearly knackered. Last night he took off a centre, Henry only to put him back on at Centre.

Luaki, well not sure what's going on there. At first I thought it was his fitness. But he has to be fit now. Lowes plays him for 15 mins a game in 2 spells. He always looks unhappy at coming off. Give a good 20 min spell for god sake he hasn't had one all season. Lowes will go 35 mins before making a change at prop.

And instead of recalling half backs out on loan let's okay a 2nd rower and a centre there.

Back to the tiredness issue, and please forgive me for bringing Leigh into this thread, but it is an observation relating to game last week v Wire I think is relevant to the discussion, in 95% of their games this season they have had the luxury of playing their games at a pace that they have dictated, having the ability to slow or speed up the proceedings as they wished, it was very apparent last week they were being forced out of their comfort zone and for the first time this season we saw a lot of players struggling to get back in line.

The point of this being that the Bulls (as Leigh) in preparation for the 8's need to play flat out in their remaining games, get their attitude right and guidance in the right direction, or they are going to be completely embassresed come the "SL" fixtures.

No Gary, I think you make a good point here. One major difference I've noticed about Leigh compared to the Bulls in this division is that the Bulls can't dictate the speed of the ruck and the pace of a game for love nor money, all too often struggling to react to an enthusiastic opposition or the ref. Despite what the table says, the Bulls haven't properly adjusted to life in this division, not in terms of your nitty-gritty stuff anyway.

I think we're really going to struggle against Leigh, never mind the 8s proper. My fear is Gaskell will be rushed back into playing in that game not fully fit and end up injuring himself further. It also must be pointed out before others think we think of Gaskell as some sort of saviour, we've turned in some pretty uninspiring performances with him on the pitch as well.

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

Once we put the drop over to give us a four score lead the Bulls seemed to turn it in.

Bulls turned it in WELL before then

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

No Gary, I think you make a good point here. One major difference I've noticed about Leigh compared to the Bulls in this division is that the Bulls can't dictate the speed of the ruck and the pace of a game for love nor money, all too often struggling to react to an enthusiastic opposition or the ref. Despite what the table says, the Bulls haven't properly adjusted to life in this division, not in terms of your nitty-gritty stuff anyway.

I think we're really going to struggle against Leigh, never mind the 8s proper. My fear is Gaskell will be rushed back into playing in that game not fully fit and end up injuring himself further. It also must be pointed out before others think we think of Gaskell as some sort of saviour, we've turned in some pretty uninspiring performances with him on the pitch as well.

Leigh will come to Odsal not needing to win to be assured of top spot. Luckily we appear to have just done enough to finish in the top two, this giving us four home games with two of these against the bottom side in Super League and the Championship.

Expect some announcements about reinforcements arriving in the coming days. We certainly need a lift right now. 

Lots to agree with on this thread.  The players looked well and truly knackered - Lowes must be flogging them in training, and along with no rotation it's killing the energy on match day.  AOB - the lad is a diamond but he's being massively overworked.  Vila has been excellent when he's come on so play him.

For me, last night has been coming for a few weeks.  It's the structure that's all at sea.  Players constantly playing out of position to cover injuries creates indecision and hesitation both in attack and defence.  Fev scored at least three, maybe four, tries down our right edge where the hapless Adam Henry can't defend for toffee.  Add in Luke Shaw on that wing, who is not a winger, and it's easy to see why we're leaking points.  At one stage last night we were playing without the correct players at 6/7/13/9 – what chance points?

I’m certainly not going to bag Lowes for the job he’s doing, and I can’t believe some of the comments on the terrace last night, but I think he needs to develop his thoughts on rotation.  It’s all very well him saying that they’re professional players but it’s a cup final every s odding week.  When Jay Pitts is out of gas then I know there’s a problem because that lad has a top engine on him.  Noble was very good at getting the team to peak at the right time and that’s something that Jimmy needs to really look at.

If we’ve got some room to bring players in before the 8s then I’d say we need an experienced organising talking full-back and a 7, but time is running out.  Green/Ferres need to decide if they want to try for promotion this season or consolidate and leave it until next when we might have a better chance. 

As for Fev… I reckon that’s the best 80 mins I’ve seen this season.  They were very good defensively and in general contact, speed to burn out wide, and in Rene Maitua they’ve got a lovely bit of class.  Genuinely pleased for them, and I think the Bulls faithful clapping them off at halftime and at the end showed that.

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

Supposedly on Twitter there was an altercation between Robbie Paul and Leigh centurions director Beaumont ...the latter was supposedly refused entrance to a corporate box ...not much said on it ...what would be the reason there if true???from start of year at lsv????

When Reni maitua is on song there's no one in the chpionship that will come close to being as good as him..the only reason he didn't stay in Australia was due to his much publicised personal problems...hopefully he's completely over them as he is a class player!!!!championship signing of the year????

Reni has been really good when he has played and has certainly been missed when he hasn't. Fev's problems have stemmed from people being out of position and lack of quality in the halves. Everyone is now in their proper position and it looks like Marginet has upped his game and Will Milner has stepped up. With Paul Cooke in the mix and with plenty of squad rotation through the year we may be in for a big finish....likewise we might lose t home to Dewsbury on sunday.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Supposedly on Twitter there was an altercation between Robbie Paul and Leigh centurions director Beaumont ...the latter was supposedly refused entrance to a corporate box ...not much said on it ...what would be the reason there if true???from start of year at lsv????

My understanding is (and I'm not saying this is Gospel) that because of the way Beaumont conducted himself at the LSV on the opening day the Bulls hierarchy didn't want his sort around the place so refused him a free ticket or entry to where the directors and their families are. 

Paul Rowley was accommodated and welcomed  - and he probably went home to Leigh afterwards pi$$ing himself laughing.

My understanding is (and I'm not saying this is Gospel) that because of the way Beaumont conducted himself at the LSV on the opening day the Bulls hierarchy didn't want his sort around the place so refused him a free ticket or entry to where the directors and their families are. 

Paul Rowley was accommodated and welcomed  - and he probably went home to Leigh afterwards pi$$ing himself laughing.

Whilst I fully understand that we don't raelly want people like that around the club, sometimes you just need to be the bigger person.

It's a shame to see the club trying to bring itself down to the level of the likes of Beaumont.

People called Romans they go the house

Lots to agree with on this thread.  The players looked well and truly knackered - Lowes must be flogging them in training, and along with no rotation it's killing the energy on match day.  AOB - the lad is a diamond but he's being massively overworked.  Vila has been excellent when he's come on so play him.

For me, last night has been coming for a few weeks.  It's the structure that's all at sea.  Players constantly playing out of position to cover injuries creates indecision and hesitation both in attack and defence.  Fev scored at least three, maybe four, tries down our right edge where the hapless Adam Henry can't defend for toffee.  Add in Luke Shaw on that wing, who is not a winger, and it's easy to see why we're leaking points.  At one stage last night we were playing without the correct players at 6/7/13/9 – what chance points?

I’m certainly not going to bag Lowes for the job he’s doing, and I can’t believe some of the comments on the terrace last night, but I think he needs to develop his thoughts on rotation.  It’s all very well him saying that they’re professional players but it’s a cup final every s odding week.  When Jay Pitts is out of gas then I know there’s a problem because that lad has a top engine on him.  Noble was very good at getting the team to peak at the right time and that’s something that Jimmy needs to really look at.

If we’ve got some room to bring players in before the 8s then I’d say we need an experienced organising talking full-back and a 7, but time is running out.  Green/Ferres need to decide if they want to try for promotion this season or consolidate and leave it until next when we might have a better chance. 

As for Fev… I reckon that’s the best 80 mins I’ve seen this season.  They were very good defensively and in general contact, speed to burn out wide, and in Rene Maitua they’ve got a lovely bit of class.  Genuinely pleased for them, and I think the Bulls faithful clapping them off at halftime and at the end showed that.

I hope someone's got deep pockets then because you'll get much less money from central funding next year in the Championship.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Thanks for the heads up,  but we are probably the country's leading experts on reductions in central funding 

SQL Honours

Whilst I fully understand that we don't raelly want people like that around the club, sometimes you just need to be the bigger person.

It's a shame to see the club trying to bring itself down to the level of the likes of Beaumont.

I don't really have a view on it because I don't know the detail of the exchanges between Beaumont and RHP(?) at the LSV.  I'd have thought that Robbie was about as a gracious, humble and accommodating individual as you could possibly wish to meet.  So either the decision was taken by someone else (only Green or Ferres out-rank him I suppose) or else what he said was so bad that even Robbie couldn't stomach it.  Sometimes you've got to be the bigger person by making a stand.

Don't forget that the Directors have their wives and kids with them in those boxes.

Anyhoo.  Mick - names please, and no caffling out.

Talking to one of the 'witnesses' it seemed neither party was angelic, but as the RFL had dealt with the matter it seems a strange action to take, what do Leigh do now if we meet at LSV in the 8's - ban RHP or MG? or rise above it?

The game at Odsal may yet decide the top spot, and if so it doesn't need this kind of build up with a big crowd probably close to 10k fired up for the game

I only heard a whisper from someone next to me along those lines, I'm a little confused why Beaumont would get a free ticket anyway, although maybe that is standard protocol/you scratch my back deal throughout the game.

5k attendance for a midweek game is pretty good....would thebulls/ Leigh game being on weekend possibly make it a 5 figure attendance ...or a stretch too far ....

I doubt it, seemingly we don't let in the Leigh riffraff!

Bulls turned it in WELL before then

I don't think they were up for it from the start. Freak heat waves like last night make it difficult to play in and you have to push your body through the pain barrier. This is not tig and pass we're talking about, its a game of extreme physicality and endurance. I've a feeling that when Bulls saw the Fev team sheet with so many faces missing they thought it would be a walk over. Fev needed it the most, and were still smarting from the Fax defeat. When they hit them with those early tries and made it obvious they were willing to put their bodies on the line, especially those youngsters who came in, the higher paid, full-time outfit of supposedly superior players thought "shove this for a game of soldiers."  

The history books are littered with shocks like this in big games in extreme heat, such as the '83 Challenge Cup Final.

I don't think they were up for it from the start. Freak heat waves like last night make it difficult to play in and you have to push your body through the pain barrier. This is not tig and pass we're talking about, its a game of extreme physicality and endurance. I've a feeling that when Bulls saw the Fev team sheet with so many faces missing they thought it would be a walk over. Fev needed it the most, and were still smarting from the Fax defeat. When they hit them with those early tries and made it obvious they were willing to put their bodies on the line, especially those youngsters who came in, the higher paid, full-time outfit of supposedly superior players thought "shove this for a game of soldiers."  

The history books are littered with shocks like this in big games in extreme heat, such as the '83 Challenge Cup Final.

But in the '83 CC Final, Hull were in with a chance right up to the final hooter.  As I said earlier, I thought we'd tire after the hour mark, but we didn't.  In fact I said to my lad, at least we can say we beat them for an hour.  I was anticipating a huge effort from the Bulls in the last twenty and it never came.  They had players out, so did we, they played a tough away game Sunday, so did we.  I find last night difficult to explain, except to speculate that our team last night bore some similarity to the one that took Catalan all the way in the CC.  Have we finally hit our straps, or have they just fallen apart and we were the lucky beneficiaries, time will tell I suppose.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

5k attendance for a midweek game is pretty good....would thebulls/ Leigh game being on weekend possibly make it a 5 figure attendance ...or a stretch too far ....

Don't think it'll get close to 10k - biggest attendance this year at Odsal was Halifax which was just over 6k so Leigh would have to bring 4k more fans than Fax did. Think if it's good weather, the Bulls don't totally collapse between now and then and top spot is genuinely in contention,  8.5k would be going well. 

SQL Honours

I doubt it, seemingly we don't let in the Leigh riffraff!

That's a bit below the belt, 21K+ posts and that's the best you can come up with, ah well.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

That's a bit below the belt, 21K+ posts and that's the best you can come up with, ah well.

Alright, alright.

21k+ of pure excellence and none of it ever meant as malicious! :biggrin:

We can have a make up kiss and cuddle at Odsal if you like. ;)

I was very disappointed with Bradford. They're made a that little bit more difficult for London to make the top 4

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

Alright, alright.

21k+ of pure excellence and none of it ever meant as malicious! :biggrin:

We can have a make up kiss and cuddle at Odsal if you like. ;)

Aw reet hif tha whants tuh, (spoken in my deepest gruff voice)

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

Archived