29/8/2015 RL Challenge Cup Final Hull Kingston Rovers v Leeds Rhinos, Wembley Stadium K.O. 3.15pm BBC TV

53 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Hull KR
    • Leeds
    • Draw
  2. 2. Who would you like to win?

• Hull KR
    • Leeds
    • Neither of the above

Some of this thread takes me back to another thread in which no pleasing people and somebody put this link in. Always comes to mind when I listen and read some RL people.

Its a little slow at first but gets really rocking as it goes along and I think sums us up.

Don't know who originally linked us to it but.... thanks

For those who couldn't be bothered listening to the good music I have copied the lyrics.

I don't care about the story-line if there's a happy ending
For the life of me I just don't understand it
Now the whole expedition was a total disaster yet still they contend
That we're doing fine and that we still have the upper hand
I think that's sad
Don't tell me everything's all right
Cause I'm happy being miserable
And don't say that it's a-okay
I'm so happy being miserable

There's always rain pouring down in my garden
And a black cat keeps following me around
Hey that bottle of vodka looks half empty, most definitely
I'm on the rocks baby
You self serving do-gooders just leave me alone
My misery don't want no company
I prefer keeping to myself, giving me my undivided sympathy, yeah

Happy people you give me the blues
I'm so god damn glad I ain't skipping in your shoes
In my perverted sordid misery
I get off watching people who are worse off than me

We're so happy being miserable oh, oh. We're so happy being miserable, yeah
We're so happy being miserable oh, oh. We're so happy being miserable, yeah

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What the hell does city size have to do with it?

Super League era

Leeds (estimated population 757,700 - Wiki)

Leeds Rhinos

Grand Final winners: 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012

Challenge Cup winners: 1999, 2014, 2015

Hull (estimated population 257,710 - Wiki)

Hull FC

Grand Final winners: None

Challenge Cup winners: 2005

Hull KR

Challenge Cup winners: None

Any of the above look a little imbalanced, uncomfortable and economically challenged to you?

This is a match thread. About the match. Y'know, what happened on the pitch.

You're free to discuss any other issues arising from the match, the event, mergers, or anything else, but just not in this thread, because it'll end up not being about the match anymore.

Just start another thread. It's easy. People do it all the time without causing such a fuss.

Get over yourself.

There's certainly nothing for me to get over as I'm just a rugby league fanatic shooting from the hip on an internet forum like everyone else here but the earlier comments are appreciated and noted and I will try to respond accordingly.

Last comment was a "right to reply" thing if that's OK.

No, I'm pondering how to spend the money I've saved on HKR tickets and an expensive trip to Wembley when the disastrous new format was announced, knowing full well that this kind of scenario was the obvious net result.

Remember - I'm the one who only bailed on HKR because they lost by 80 points to Wigan in 2013. But what's this? They lost 60-0 to Wigan this season and now 50-0 to Leeds also (does this mean they're slowly getting better ha ha ha).

Good luck continuing to believe that there is no-one else like me out there and that HKR (and teams of their stature) can continue to grow their fanbases in this climate.

I'm pretty sure 18 months ago you said you were never going to watch super league again but continue to be able to comment on match threads.

If you didn't watch Hull KR beat Warrington in the semi final of the CC then you missed out on a terrific match, I feel sorry for you if you missed it.

Drubbings happen in sport all the time. Saturday one happened in the challenge cup final. Last year in the NRL grand final one happened. This year one happened in SOO III.

Let people enjoy the game. Leeds served up some oustanding rugby and have IMO the best 1 - 5 in the world at this moment in time. I bet you enjoyed Hull KR losing so you had a reason to post on here.

I hope and think he's finally getting the message.

Anyhoo, back to the game.

I have an advert for Everest Double Glazing at the top of my page and they're offering 50% off.

Now, if I was a Rovers fan reading that advert, I might think they were taking the p*ss.

:kolobok_sad:   Hull FC....The Sons of God....  :kolobok_sad:
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

So does this mean that discussion of a game in which a team in a city bigger than that of its opponent (who are the smaller of the 2 sides from said city) demolished their opponent from a smaller city in an essentially free market system (the bigger side paying a lot more on playing salary than the smaller side) we cannot discuss the possibility that this demographic and economic disparity may have influenced the result in a direct fashion?  

With respect, this is exactly why we are where we are and the sport has little hope of any dynamic future in this country, while it continues to ascend to new heights in Australasia (our only hope).

If there is a way to discuss a 50-0 slaughter of this fashion in a benign, matter-of-fact manner then fine but it is surely to miss every pertinent point raised by the occasion - something rugby league has done better than any other sport for decades.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

were do you get the bigger side has paid a lot more on salary from ?.  Leeds have not been spending up to the cap for some time  which is why they had the ability to sign mitch Garbutt without having to release players to open up space under the salary cap unlike rovers who got new players in after they had crossed players off there books to get space under the cap

ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.

does life get any better .

Super League era

Leeds (estimated population 757,700 - Wiki)

Leeds Rhinos

Grand Final winners: 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012

Challenge Cup winners: 1999, 2014, 2015

Hull (estimated population 257,710 - Wiki)

Hull FC

Challenge Cup winners: 2005

Hull KR

Challenge Cup winners: None

Any of the above look a little imbalanced, uncomfortable and economically challenged to you?

London - population 8.6 million (wiki). Wigan - population 318k (wiki).

How many grand finals and challenge cup finals have they each won?

well I see Leeds was named the richest city in the north of England  recently but  that does not follow that it should have the best teams  just go down to elland road and see the truth in that

ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.

does life get any better .

Oh my.

We had a match thread that lasted 14-15 pages and around 280 replies before our friend contributed a possible derailment leaning. I then  posted to ask if people could not continue any derailment in order that the thread could survive without any of the usual nonsense.

Looks like I failed in my efforts.

Very disappointing game. I think a lot of posters on this thread miss the point. The essence of sport is competition. That game never saw Leeds out of third gear. The problem with League is it's a great game when played by two teams of similar quality. However when one team gets a jump on the other. It becomes a boring one sided mis-match more so than other sports and not good viewing..

The crowd was anounced as 80,140, if you include all of the 16,532 debenture middle tier seats as pre-sold as they are then the number of vast empty spaces in the Upper Tiers can be explained in the announced total. The empty seats were noticed on TV as people told me post game.

The number of neutrals is in decline, I remember being with "Dally Messenger" when the stadium reopened for League in 2007 when he was fascinated by the number of different shirts from non-participating teams and I told him. The Challenge Cup final was a celebration of the game. It does not appear to be so these days for anyone other than the participating clubs. Someone needs to focus on why The Peoples Final no longer attracts so many people.

Sorry for Keiran Dixon a good lad who had a nightmare 20 mins in the second half. You see from the word go Mac's strategy was to attack the flank The London Phantom was on and it worked.A result like that for KR damages a sporting club's psyche and is in danger of overshadowing a season of promise in East Hull

PS Those of us there very early (1.15pm) heard amongst the dedications a shout out from this boards Webmaster.....

Can't disagree with any of that!

Thank You for Listening

Derek

What happened to my post? I don't see why mine would be deleted yet DSK is still allowed to peddle his nonsense

Bless

Seemed kind of appropriate.  :D

To sum it all up the joshing about 50 points I find 50/50 more appropriate. You have your fun we have your attention (and everyones money).

The Banners on display tell us 2 things...Rovers at Wembley really hurt the Dullers and they are all missing their bedsheets.

And we have another title to play for, the Super 8s qualifiers whereas Hull are going through the motions. God forbid you get a pasting in the last 4 matches.

Surprised that there were less neutral shirts than I usually see wigan Bradford st Helens Warrington or was it just me?

This was the main thing that we noticed and commented on. Very few neutrals seen around Wembley and on the Underground. We spotted the odd Saints, Hull, Bradford, Featherstone, Castleford, Wigan and Huddersfield + other Wakefield.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

This was the main thing that we noticed and commented on. Very few neutrals seen around Wembley and on the Underground. We spotted the odd Saints, Hull, Bradford, Featherstone, Castleford, Wigan and Huddersfield + other Wakefield.

There were 100 fans of Medway Dragons in Kent there plus 23 fans of North Wales Crusaders.  Whether they all wore their club shirts or not is another matter but I know they were there.

For those bemoaning the state of the game and how the end is nigh now that a team has been thrashed at Wembley, did the 75-0 thrashing Saints gave Wigan live on the BBC in one wonderful Challenge Cup game kill off the sport? 

I noticed Fev, Dewsbury and FC shirts in the crowd shots on TV.  The last time I went, Wire v Leeds 2010 the place was swarming with FC fans. In fact every time I've been there's always been loads of FC fans. Of course one of those times was 1983.

For those who say the final was a mismatch, a forgone conclusion, look at 1983.  Hull were such hot favourites, the bookies stopped taking bets on them. And look what happened.  If Leeds had been only a little off their game and KR a little more on theirs it could have been a totally different outcome.

Anyway the next time the Rovers fans counter Old Faithful with "you've never won at Wembley" perhaps the FC fans can chant "we've never been slaughtered at Wembley"  (a bit poor really but best I could do)

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Anyway the next time the Rovers fans counter Old Faithful with "you've never won at Wembley" perhaps the FC fans can chant "we've never been slaughtered at Wembley"  (a bit poor really but best I could do)

It will be interesting to see if they bother in future.

They probably will but, as you suggest, their performance at Wembley has given us plenty of ammunition and, I suspect, no shortage of chants in response.

Just to complete their miserable  weekend, the civic "celebratory" :huh:  :rolleyes: reception will be held on a very damp, overcast day with no sign of the weather improving.

To sum it all up the joshing about 50 points I find 50/50 more appropriate. You have your fun we have your attention (and everyones money).

The Banners on display tell us 2 things...Rovers at Wembley really hurt the Dullers and they are all missing their bedsheets.

And we have another title to play for, the Super 8s qualifiers whereas Hull are going through the motions. God forbid you get a pasting in the last 4 matches.

The only things that are hurting are our ribs.

As a wise man said on RLFans, Hull might one day win at Wenbley, you never know. However, Saturday's humiliation will stand forever for us to point and laugh at.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Archived