5-6 Sept: The Kingstone Press League 1 Match Thread

Discuss this weekend's Kingstone Press League 1 games here.

SATURDAY 5th SEPTEMBER

Barrow Raiders v Rochdale Hornets KO 6.30pm

SUNDAY 6th SEPTEMBER

Coventry Bears v London Skolars KO 3pm
Hemel Stags v Oxford KO 2.30pm  
North Wales Crusaders v York City Knights KO 2.30pm
Oldham v Swinton Lions KO 3pm
South Wales Scorpions v Newcastle Thunder KO 1pm
University of Gloucestershire All Golds v Keighley Cougars KO 3pm at Cinderford RFC

Basically, if Rochdale lose and the Cru win, then the Cru finish fifth, if both win then it's down to the last weekend where a Crusaders win or Rochdale loss would lead to the same result. If Rochdale win at Barrow and we lose at home to York, then with Rochdale's last game being at home to the Skolars I think it's fair to assume that Rochdale finish fifth. Exciting, isn't it?

I'll be at the Oldham v Swinton game, hoping for an Oldham win. That will open the door for a league leaders presentation at Oxford the following Saturday, should we win of course.  

An interesting game is All Golds v Keighley.  The Cougars did their best to make a close game of it at Skolars on Monday and All Golds already have a top eight scalp under their belt this season.  Should All Golds win, it provides Swinton with a chance of finishing second provided they beat Oldham.  That'll lead to another Oldham v Swinton game in the 1st v 2nd play-off at Whitebank.

Anthony Murray has the luxury (?) of 18 players to pick from this weekend. All Cru eyes will be on the Saturday evening game at Craven park hoping that Borrow keep up their home advantage against Hornets and then our lads can repeat their recent victory over York but with a bit less of a nail-biting second half!

Oldham and Swinton will be a real arm wrestle, and may even end in a draw. Home advantage could be the advantage that Oldham need but it will be a close call as Swinton are on a good run of form too.

Elsewhere, wins for Bears, Stags, Thunder and Cougars

Due to Oldham & Keighley's remaining fixtures I think Swinton are likely to finish outside the top 2, but if they win at Oldham it would frustratingly leave the Lions 1 point behind both with the best points difference of the three clubs. So probably the best Swinton can realistically expect is 3rd. In that sense I guess the Lions will be hoping for a Cru win over York, though if Swinton win at Oldham then a minimum of 3rd place is guaranteed anyway. The Oldham v Swinton game should be a real humdinger, 20 games unbeaten between them! I suspect Oldham would prefer Cougars in the 1st v 2nd game to the Lions?

Hope  to see Crusaders beating York, so trip to Newcastle will have that bit more about it .  Barrow can do us a favour tonight,beating Rochdale,

think Oldham,barrow, london ,hemel,newcastle keighley,crusaders.london.

Oh..............bother! The Cru were, in many ways the authors of their own downfall with basic mistakes, trying to force the ball when it wasn't necessary and, in particular, giving the ball to the forwards to try to bludgeon their way down the middle even when it was clear that the tactic wasn't working. So, onto Newcastle and an interesting stat - the Crusaders have lost seven games this season, five at home and only two away (Keighley and Rochdale) both by a single point, all is not lost! 722 there today (not the 500 as shown on the 'Sporting Life' website and almost all of them local as I only saw a couple of York supporters. Anyway, whatever happens next year's season ticket's bought so I'll be there whatever division they're in.

Hawayy the Lads!!!

That put a dampener on the weekend!  On a positive note - there will be a sell-out on the Supporters Club coach next Sunday! 

All down to the lads next weekend at Thunder. 

and to mickhornet......SKOOOOLLLAAAARRRS!

Skolars lads  put in big time versus Cru and Keighlley last weekend and deserve credit for sundays win.

Sadly wasnt there.suffice to say..

Well next weekend there will certainly be some support from North Wales for our friends at Skolars!!

Archived