Rugby History Thread

Padge

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Thanks for the reminder, Futtocks.  I, for one, had completely overlooked the anniversary.  I seem to recall reading somewhere that the Australians only agreed to take part if France either subsidised or underwrote their costs.  Is that right, or do I imagine it?

• 1 month later...

Arthur Clues added to the Leeds Hall of Fame. Three more to follow in the next three days.

There's a story in here from Tony Collins about Clues being sent off whilst acting as a touch judge which is outstanding.

• Like 2

On 25/10/2015 at 07:52, deluded pom? said:

This may not be PC but how come the PNG player passing the ball is white?

On 25/10/2015 at 08:02, Futtocks said:

Second-generation citizen from Europe/Australia ancestry? Who knows? If a player qualifies and is good enough, pick him.

Slightly unrelated, in 1974, the ABC, our national broadcaster, sent a 23 year old journalist Shaun Dorney, not long out of his cadetship and up for a challenge, to Papua New Guinea as Australia`s foreign correspondent. The beginning of a life long love affair with that country and region.

He had been half back for his university team in Townsville and started playing RL up there in New Guinea and ended up getting picked for the National team. Played for the Kumuls for two years ,1975-6, and was given the captainship for his last game There was some great photos of him on the team bus with the Kumuls in the paper a couple of years ago which I unfortunately couldn`t find.

I bring it up because you were speculating about how a white fella could end up in a New Guinea team. Dorney married a local girl had two kids and served there until 2014. He tragically passed away of Motor Neuron disease a couple of years ago.

• Like 1

Les Dyl.

One more inductee tomorrow. Logically due to the rule which requires players to be retired for five years or more, this would be Sinfield with Peacock following next year (he played, briefly, for HKR in '16) and Burrow/McGuire the year after that.

However apparently there is a get-out clause for exceptional circumstances so I wonder if they will bump Sinfield this year and bring Burrow in early.

Edited by M j M

A South African video tribute to Tom van Vollenhoven. Unfortunately, it does contain footage of Danie Craven, but it is still worth a watch.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I know it only happened a matter of months ago, but if this season and that GF doesn't go down in history, then history is bunk. Plus it's a damn good little video that adds to the experience we all had watching the match.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Great that so many of you are interested in 19th century rugby!

I'm researching my husband's family history. I'm particularly interested in his grandfather James Rangeley and I wonder if there are photos of him either as an individual or with his team.

James played for Salford from around 1893 - 1894, then transferred to Rochdale Hornets, playing against Halifax on 19 October 1895. His last game for them was 25th April 1896 against Leeds. His position was three-quarter.

James Rangeley (1867 - 1944) hailed from Castleton (Rochdale) eventually becoming superintendent dock foreman at No. 9 Dock in Salford. His elder brother John played for Castleton Moor (I know nothing about his rugby career).

James was the father of Walter Rangeley, the olympic sprinter, and is a direct family line.

I've already posted a similar query, and received some responses, on the Rochdale Hornets page, but any further information would be most welcome.

Thank you.

On 05/09/2020 at 19:26, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

Happy to be of service. Tony Collins has actually signed it which was a nice surprise. 

Happy to report, CF, that Santa did the biz, and I am reading the Tony Collins book now!

• Like 1

On 05/09/2020 at 22:27, Number 16 said:

That's an awesome cover.

I'm loving the looks of joy on the faces of all the fans... except... the two old dears just right of centre at the top!! I bet Christmas was a real hoot in their household!

My theory, No 16, is that they both didn't want to go to a rugby match and weren't expecting to be taken, hence the decidedly glum faces.

I remember an old school friend, now aged 70 like me, and hence recently obliged to retire as a high court judge, telling me that his dad, who was from West Cumbria, in the early stages of courting his mum, took her to a match.  Apparently - and some might say, inexplicably - she didn't see this as the highlight of their courtship, but saw enough in the man to persevere with the relationship, hence, in due course, marriage and my friend's subsequent arrival!

On 06/09/2020 at 07:27, Number 16 said:

That's an awesome cover.

I'm loving the looks of joy on the faces of all the fans... except... the two old dears just right of centre at the top!! I bet Christmas was a real hoot in their household!

It really does have everything, the kid in short pants, flat caps, men in ties and jackets, horn-rimmed glasses like your Grandfather used to wear, but the thing that first struck me was the body shape of the player and he doesn`t look particularly young either, my first thoughts were that he was the referee !

• 2 weeks later...

Highlights from Thrum Hall of Halifax v Australia. Two different generations of Kangaroos meet, as Mal Meninga and Wendell Sailor play in the same side.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 05/01/2021 at 23:45, The Rocket said:

It really does have everything, the kid in short pants, flat caps, men in ties and jackets, horn-rimmed glasses like your Grandfather used to wear, but the thing that first struck me was the body shape of the player and he doesn`t look particularly young either, my first thoughts were that he was the referee !

First things first, Happy New Year, Rocket.

Second things second, apologies for not catching up with your comments on this matter till now.

Third things third.  Now, Rocket, me young lad, careful what you say! "...body shape of the player and he doesn't look particularly young..."?  It is the great Billy Boston, no less - 571 tries and 7 goals in a career of 564 games, ten of those tries for GB against you Aussies, I should add.

Seriously though, I know what you mean.  He didn't necessarily look the great athlete that he was.  When I began watching live RL, and Wigan in particular, in the early 1960s, Wigan had, stylistically, two very contrasting wingers.  Boston tended to run straight  (though he could sidestep)with an exceptionally high knee action which, given his thighs were like tree trunks of some centuries in age, put tackling him somewhere on a scale between extremely difficult and life threatening.  By contrast, the other winger was a more 'traditional' type; Trevor Lake, a Rhodesian, had phenomenal pace and a wonderfully jinky sidestep.

As outsandingly great though Boston undeniably was, it was handy for him having a centre of the calibre of Eric Ashton playing along side!

• Thanks 1

How many players have appeared in both the Rugby Football League and the Football League?

Came across one the other day: Eric Fitzsimons.

He made one appearance (at Chesterfield) for Bradford (Park Avenue) in 1970, the club's last season in the Football League, then later played for Oldham and Hunslet (and Salford?).

Edited by Hopping Mad

1 hour ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

First things first, Happy New Year, Rocket.

Second things second, apologies for not catching up with your comments on this matter till now.

Third things third.  Now, Rocket, me young lad, careful what you say! "...body shape of the player and he doesn't look particularly young..."?  It is the great Billy Boston, no less - 571 tries and 7 goals in a career of 564 games, ten of those tries for GB against you Aussies, I should add.

Seriously though, I know what you mean.  He didn't necessarily look the great athlete that he was.  When I began watching live RL, and Wigan in particular, in the early 1960s, Wigan had, stylistically, two very contrasting wingers.  Boston tended to run straight  (though he could sidestep)with an exceptionally high knee action which, given his thighs were like tree trunks of some centuries in age, put tackling him somewhere on a scale between extremely difficult and life threatening.  By contrast, the other winger was a more 'traditional' type; Trevor Lake, a Rhodesian, had phenomenal pace and a wonderfully jinky sidestep.

As outsandingly great though Boston undeniably was, it was handy for him having a centre of the calibre of Eric Ashton playing along side!

Lovely post Wiltshire and Happy New Year to you as well.

Yes I certainly know that name and without googling it didn`t he play forever as well, started out in Oz or something, any way I`ll look that up later.

One other thing about that photo that struck me was where was the person taking the photograph, it is an exceptionally clear picture and the angle is odd. Don`t know much about photography I suppose it just must have been taken with a telescopic (?) lense from the stands on the other side of the field. Otherwise the camera man would have had to been on the field.

Just went back and had another look. Looks like it may have been Mr. Boston involved in a victory lap or some such and not a photo of him having just scored a try like I initially thought. Anyway interesting to speculate. Enjoy the rest of your day, Rocket. 

Couple of recent pdcasts from Tony Collins worth a listen.

One with Former St.Helens and Warrington player Peter Harvey (have to admit to having never heard of him), which is well worth a listen for anyone interested in cross code players etc.

And another with Author Mark Flanagan about the 86 Kangaroos

Both can be found here, among others.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

3 hours ago, Johnoco said:

I've just seen a post on Facebook from a Bradford memories type page and it is an ad from an old newspaper in 1892. It's an ad for a football match and it's Manningham V Sunderland. Obviously this was before the 1895 split so was still RU but in all my reading of Tony Collins stuff etc etc I'd never heard of Sunderland having a rugby club of note. Or maybe it's because Manningham were a bit less posher than Bradford FC who I understand preferred to play more upper class teams like Sale or Manchester.

I can't figure out how to post it on here but I found it interesting anyway. 🙂

A shame you can't share that.

Sunderland RUFC are still going, albeit at level eight. They share facilities, at Ashbrooke, where they were playing in 1892, with Sunderland Cricket Club. The history outline on their website states: "In the late Victorian and early Edwardian periods, Sunderland RFC was one of the most significant clubs in the north of England. The first XV won the first ever Durham County Cup and a photograph of the side shows one team member sporting an England cap."

Capable of giving Manningham a game, maybe!

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

WCC 1997 - Perth v Castleford.

Right then, it's year 2 million of Lockdown and it's Friday night. I've sampled Prosecco, Beaujolais and Black Bottle whisky. It's now approaching 2am but I've  managed to watch 20 odd minutes of a match that has had one penalty and one try so far. It's just so easy to watch compared to nowadays. I know there has to be wrestling at the tackle in order for the 10m defence time to get set with seemingly compulsary  random penalties but as grumpy as I am is there anyone here who think today's product is better to watch than this match?

You may well prefer today's play but to me it is tedious in comparison to what it once was.

It's now 02:03, Good Morning All.

• Like 3

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.