Sign in to follow this  
Bedford Roughyed

The great EU Referendum poll (new question in poll!)

EU Referendum  

149 members have voted

1. 1. Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

• Remain a member of the European Union
    • Leave the European Union
    • Don't know?
  2. 2. With two weeks to go, has your vote changed?

• Yes, I was remain, now leave
    • Yes, I was leave, now remain
    • Yes, I was don't know, now leave
    • Yes, I was don't know, now remain
    • No, but I'm holding on reluctantly to leave
    • No, but I'm holding on reluctantly to stay
    • No, my intention is the same

Does it say what those other institutions are?

Unfortunately not. I suspect it is for things like the European Social Fund and some of the various agricultural funds, some of which although administered by the EU are not part of the central budget and require separate member contributions.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Please label all Project Fear stories accordingly.

Project Fear: Clegg calls Boris 'Trump...with a thesaurus'

Four legs good - two legs bad

Just watched Andrew Marr's interview with John Major. A master class in clarity, logic and truth. By far the best advocate of remining in the EU.

In contrast, Boris's performance was a masterclass in mendacity, evasion, obfuscation and lies.

Well, it might just be that skilled and qualified people fom the EU lose their desire to work here if we were to submit to the reactionary forces of Europhobia. The more I see Boris Duncan Smith spouting their lies and primitive nonsense on TV, the more I read of Boris Fox and Liam Farrige in the agressively Euro hating Mail and Telegraph, the more I support them as candidates for the colonisation of Mars....

In their blind pursuit of their goal, they totally ignore the fact that our treaty and other obligations to the international community prevent us taking the steps that the Gove Smith axis says we could take if we left.

I've finally retired at age 70. I have the UK state pension, a modest pension fund and a very small French occupational pension. If we vote leave, I stand to lose a lot of my income, and in that case I shall pursue Smith Fox etc so vigorously that they will regret their treason.

Of course, if anyone on here disagreed with the rubbish Duncan Smith and Gove spouted in their capacities as Secretaries of State for work and pensions/education/justice just a few months ago, you would have attributed it to the left-wing groupthink cabal of TotalRL.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Just watched Andrew Marr's interview with John Major. A master class in clarity, logic and truth. By far the best advocate of remining in the EU.

In contrast, Boris's performance was a masterclass in mendacity, evasion, obfuscation and lies.

The rebuttal from Leave.EU -

Retweet if you think John Major increasingly looks like his Spitting Image puppet

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Of course, if anyone on here disagreed with the rubbish Duncan Smith and Gove spouted in their capacities as Secretaries of State for work and pensions/education/justice just a few months ago, you would have attributed it to the left-wing groupthink cabal of TotalRL.

*******WHATABOUT DETECTION ALARM*******WHATABOUT DETECTION ALARM*******WHATABOUT DETECTION ALARM*******

Just because your idol Corbyn has finally shown some real leadership and shouted from the rooftops so visibly, unequivocally  and powerfully in favour of Remain (really?....Ed.), (which is also my position), does not mean I and millions of others endorse any of his quaint and outdated political views.

Edited by JohnM

Wondering if its a Mail Vs the Mail on Sunday thing?  Same owner but different editors (who Private Eye say don't get on?).

Private Eye says they hate one another, but then is there anyone Dacre doesn't hate?

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

David Davies was just saying (BBC Sunday Politics) that Major got his figures wrong.  Said Major was wrong to say there was a 10% tariff on goods if we leave, Davies said that was wrong as that tariff was only for the automobile industry, and everything else would be 1-2% apart from agriculture.

So theres an admittance the car industry and lamb farming will be shafted then...

Edited by Bedford Roughyed

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Gove says after a vote to leave we'd still be in the EU in 2020.

If Leaving is so good for the country it seems odd to delay it for 4 years...

Some great quotes from Major in his interview. The NHS is about as safe with Gove, Boris and IDS as a pet hamster with a hungry Python.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" - Mark Twain

*******WHATABOUT DETECTION ALARM*******WHATABOUT DETECTION ALARM*******WHATABOUT DETECTION ALARM*******

Just because your idol Corbyn has finally shown some real leadership and shouted from the rooftops so visibly, unequivocally and powerfully in favour of Remain (really?....Ed.), (which is also my position), does not mean I and millions of others endorse any of his quaint and outdated political views.

You really haven't cracked what whataboutism actually is, have you? And did you really put an 'Ed' in your post? Wow.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

The rebuttal from Leave.EU -

Retweet if you think John Major increasingly looks like his Spitting Image puppet

Childish, yes, but still one of the Brexit rabble's more mature efforts.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

I'd say the reverse.

But then I'm pro leave and you are pro remain.

I'd say the reverse.

But then I'm pro leave and you are pro remain.

I've always thought that Major is far and away the best Tory PM during my lifetime.  He drew the short straw, having to clear up the mess that Thatcher and Lawson had made..  As Denis Healy said, all chancellors' careers either end in failure or they get out in time.  That certainly applies to Lawson  Labour should have won in 1992 and been lumbered with clearing up the mess, but against the odds Major won, and was erm lumbered with...  Hence the electoral disaster in 1997.

Edited by Trojan

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

I've always thought that Major is far and away the best Tory PM during lifetime.  He drew the short straw, having to clear up the mess that Thatcher and Lawson had made..  As Denis Healy said, all chancellors careers either end in failure or they get out in time.  That certainly applies to Lawson  Labour should have won in 1992 and been lumbered with clearing up the mess, but against the odds Major won, and was erm lumbered with...  Hence the electoral disaster in 1997.

He does seem to be the one whom time has judged most favourably.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

He does seem to be the one whom time has judged most favourably.

Although I didn't vote for him in 1997, why would I after 18 years of pain?  I always felt he came across as a decent man lumbered with a difficult task, surrounded by bastards, as he so eloquently put it, making it even more difficult,

Clement Attlee.

In my opinion, John Major was a considerably tougher and more astute political operator than he appeared to be at the time, and I doubt that any of the other big Tory figures (Heseltine, Lawson, Howe etc.) could have won that election.

The Alan Bennett-ish caricature image he had (in Spitting Image and many other satirical shows) may have actually helped him. It made him harder to actively loathe, at least. And he certainly called the bluff of the 'bastards' before they were really ready to move against him.

In retirement, he only occasionally pops up, but still gently slips the knife into an enemy when he does so.

With the benefit of hindsight, I respect him a lot more than I did when he was PM.

Edited by Futtocks

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

In my opinion, John Major was a considerably tougher and more astute political operator than he appeared to be at the time, and I doubt that any of the other big Tory figures (Heseltine, Lawson, Howe etc.) could have won that election.

The Alan Bennett-ish caricature image he had (in Spitting Image and many other satirical shows) may have actually helped him. It made him harder to actively loathe, at least. And he certainly called the bluff of the 'bastards' before they were really ready to move against him.

In retirement, he only occasionally pops up, but still gently slips the knife into an enemy when he does so.

With the benefit of hindsight, I respect him a lot more than I did when he was PM.

I think you're right about the election.  On the other hand, they knew the true state of things and you have to ask "did they really want to win the election" (they being Lawson, Tebbit, Howe etc)  or did they want, as in 1964 and 1974 Labour to win and take all the flak?  I recall Jim Callaghan who was Labour chancellor in 1964, saying he was sitting in the Treasury looking at the state of things immediately after the election when Maudling his predecessor showed up to collect some personal stuff and his words were "sorry to have left such a mess old cock"  IMO that was the plan for 1992 too!

Edited by Trojan

Clement Attlee.

Oh ######..just realised. If the vote goes to the Europhobes, we'll all have to pay for new passports!!!!

Oh ######..just realised. If the vote goes to the Europhobes, we'll all have to pay for new passports!!!!

It'll come out of the £350m per week we're all going to save.

Clement Attlee.

Ooooh blue ones!

Oh, ######..just realised that if the Europhobes get their way, our travel insurance will rocket as the European Heath Card will no longer work.

Oh, ######..just realised that if the Europhobes get their way, our travel insurance will rocket as the European Heath Card will no longer work.

Fear monger.

Hmm. Should I get a Greek one?

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Renegotiated.  Probably.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/comment/what-would-brexit-mean-for-travellers/

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)