Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Kris

Toronto (Merged threads)

The same as what would happen to any other club that has backers that pull out. They either find new ones or go bust.

Does that mean we should dismiss any expansion areas that offer to support themselves?

I really don't get this argument people keep coming up with!

Me neither.It suggests there's a belief this is somehow 'our' money & that it should be spent elsewhere.It's their money folks & telling them to do one would be bizarre.The other argument is that they should spend it on domestic competitions but there isn't the money for that - their backers from what little info is out there apparently include a transatlantic airline & a tv company,neither would be interested in sponsoring a usarl level team to anywhere near the same financial level

Absolutely the only argument of the naysayers that stands up to scrutiny is that it's a crazy plan - which to my mind also happens to be one of its plus points!

once again if someone doesn't toe the party line they get ridiculed, developing a viable european international set up should be the main aim but as usual for suggesting that i get ridiculed, its about time some of you woke up amd smelled the coffee and stop living in cloud cuckoo land..................what do you want next ?? get a team from california because they have lots of cash ?? 

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1455957_262746450543197_276002364_n.jpg

once again if someone doesn't toe the party line they get ridiculed, developing a viable european international set up should be the main aim but as usual for suggesting that i get ridiculed, its about time some of you woke up amd smelled the coffee and stop living in cloud cuckoo land..................what do you want next ?? get a team from california because they have lots of cash ??

Why should we concentrate on Europe as opposed to North America? I've not read you give any reasons for this other than its your opinion if like to understand those reasons

Edited by Spidey

it's just that Toronto,however wacky an idea,has no harmful effect on European development.Its an outside source of funding & takes absolutely nothing from Ireland,Scotland,Wales,France,England.

Why should we concentrate on Europe as opposed to North America? I've not read you give any reasons for this other than its your opinion if like to understand those reasons

I think it's perfectly reasonable to insist semi professional leagues are based in one continent. But I really don't see any basis for a Scottish or Irish side. East midlands would be the highest priority for local expansion

I think it's perfectly reasonable to insist semi professional leagues are based in one continent. But I really don't see any basis for a Scottish or Irish side. East midlands would be the highest priority for local expansion

Toronto obviously have the intention of reaching Super League,like Toulouse the league structure dictates they start in L1.This isn't about Toronto having a League 1 team to call their own playing Hemel & Coventry every season

That's a perfectly reasoned response. Just waiting to see VW's reasons for Scottish / Irish expansion - I've highlighted at least the Canadians are pulling in decent crowds - more so than Scotland or Ireland do on home soil

Toronto obviously have the intention of reaching Super League,like Toulouse the league structure dictates they start in L1.This isn't about Toronto having a League 1 team to call their own playing Hemel & Coventry every season

I think it is pretty obvious that the attraction of playing at Pennine Way is the main motivator behind this whole scheme.

That's a perfectly reasoned response. Just waiting to see VW's reasons for Scottish / Irish expansion - I've highlighted at least the Canadians are pulling in decent crowds - more so than Scotland or Ireland do on home soil

There's not even a league in Scotland and only one proper club.

Ireland is a bit dodgy as well as though there were 7 clubs in the Republic and 5 in the North last year they were mostly just RU players playing 4-6 games in the summer. They really need at least a 10-14 game season for it to be more than a curiosity

When you're in a hole stop digging. What part of its toronto's money don't you understand? What part of Toronto aren't blocking the path of teams from Ireland and Wales don't you understand?

Please give us some info on these teams from Ireland and Scotland and their backers being denied from oining league 1.

Edited by Guest

I must admit to being a bit baffled as to what this is all about.

What is the ultimate aim for this project? If it is SL, then is that viable or workable? It probably makes as much sense as Jamaica being under rlef.

What are these guys trying to do? Grow the game in Canada or just own an SL club?

If they are trying to grow the game in Canada and have money then why not pay to stage top class internationals over there. Prove interest.

I actually just dont get it. Im an expansionist and this is confising me. Not for the same reasons as vw though.

If there was a viable operation in California who could more than pay their way, then yes.  The same with Scotland and Ireland.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

it's just that Toronto,however wacky an idea,has no harmful effect on European development.Its an outside source of funding & takes absolutely nothing from Ireland,Scotland,Wales,France,England.

And if it's successful it might even inspire someone in Scotland or Ireland to try something similar. Not really any downside for anyone other than the financial backers if it fails.

have they been encouraged to ???

I think the question should be have they been discouraged to?

No is the answer and and a team in Edinburgh or Dublin would be welcomed with open arms. It just ain't gonna happen.

What is the ultimate aim for this project? If it is SL, then is that viable or workable? It probably makes as much sense as Jamaica being under rlef.

What are these guys trying to do? Grow the game in Canada or just own an SL club?

If they are trying to grow the game in Canada and have money then why not pay to stage top class internationals over there. Prove interest.

I actually just dont get it. Im an expansionist and this is confising me. Not for the same reasons as vw though.

Isn't their main backer a reality TV show. I'm guessing their interest is in following the club as it try's to go through the leagues. The main problem I see with this is trends can change very quickly but as they are supposedly putting a bond with the RFL that's their problem.

Its about launching a new sport in a territory where there is nothing similar except RU which has a pot of cash RL doesn't have so RL cannot compete on a level playing field

Toronto are not in Superleague because they probably wouldn't let them in and most heartland fans would go nuts - too much of a leap

So cash in hand and business model to the fore it will launch itself via L1, like Toulouse it will aim for promotion at the earliest opportunity and I would expect the right backroom team and players to be in the middle 8's within 2 years and promoted at most in 5 to SL.

There wont be a future beyond three years if its not happening

International exposure of the sport, Canadian athletes n the pool of international players to attract into SL, a Canadian team at least level with the French within 10 years gives the French another rival at that level and significantly more exposure with their two clubs and the French Canadian links

Most national leagues are cross boarder USA and Canada so I would expect some joined up thinking and US players will be on the roster at some stage and a Canuck team or tow in different US conferences - east\west\north\south whatever they decide to do

It all needs a flag ship and Toronto just might be it

New market, new possibilities, new income streams and TV deals etc etc

Or we can rely on the M62, and be a feeder league for the NRL as the Aussies and Uncle Wayne seem to think their league is the only one to play in - Wayne recently stated it was a good thing we had UK players over there a 'start' I believed he called it

Someone has to have a bigger view of the world and I hope the blokes behind the Toronto team have a vision beyond one team in a lower division - if that's it then its doomed and no one would back it

But it does have advantages if its successful and the US gets behind it as well - I'd eventually try and stack it with Canadian and US players, why not, the Leeds coach thinks they are good enough for L1 already.

A lot of positives, not costing us anything and its untried so no negative impact on any one else

Said it before and I will say it again, whats not to like

As for the Celtic cousins, and the French and Euro expansion, that's now in the hands of those bodies like the WRL in their own territories, and down to them to generate the funds to expand their own.

Which in itself is a great improvement on even 10 years ago. The EU is where its at now, and the Serbs and the Czechs and Poland will reignite interest in Russia because of the local rivalries - how that pans out is out of the hands of SL, all we can do is try and be supportive

It has always been the ESL by the way, and I would suggest we drop the ESL tag and have anyone in the northern hemisphere who is truly interested in joining and bring much needed funds and international games to our sport

Toronto if successful will launch development of at least second tier RL teams internationally - Canada\France\PNG\Samoa\Fiji all in that pot would be fantastic and if it pushes development in the US then all the better

At this rate we could have an exclusive 2nd tier RLWC with doubt of outcome without the top three teams contending!

That would actually be real expansion and forward movement - and with the Celtic nations on board we could even legitimately launch a GB team again for matches against NZ and Aus.

Whatever, so much for conjecture

But Toronto is a risk free stepping stone in an unlooked for direction so lets have it!

I wouldn't describe it as risk-free - maybe financially if a bond is lodged, but there is more to it than that.

On the surface it looks very exciting, but I think I am still struggling to get my head round it and see it in practice. 

I think I am getting a bit weary of all the failed attempts to expand because we haven't done any groundwork.

If Toronto was a genuine expansion city, I'd have liked to have seen SL clubs having pre-season tournaments there etc.

This just feels a bit like every other attempt.

But, fingers crossed, I am supportive of us being radical and trying new things. Our boss always tells us if we don't fail we are not taking enough risks.

because it would be a natural progression, at the moment we have two viable nations in europe and it needs developing further end of 

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1455957_262746450543197_276002364_n.jpg

When you're in a hole stop digging. What part of its toronto's money don't you understand? What part of Toronto aren't blocking the path of teams from Ireland and Wales don't you understand?

Please give us some info on these teams from Ireland and Scotland and their backers being denied from oining league 1.

answer this question who will subsidize the likes of scorpions and crusaders to travel to toronto for the weekend because the majority of the players will be at work monday to friday?? 

because it would be a natural progression, at the moment we have two viable nations in europe and it needs developing further end of

Natural progression - I get that. But as already established there's not much of a base in either Scotland or Ireland so how do we expand there without effectively starting from scratch.

At least in Canada there's already sizeable (relatively) crowds for Internationals. That's something to go after.

I don't see Ireland or Scotland as "viable" nations in he present set up

End of

as usual dave you are the voice of reason among the lunatics and fantasists on this thread

Natural progression - I get that. But as already established there's not much of a base in either Scotland or Ireland so how do we expand there without effectively starting from scratch.

At least in Canada there's already sizeable (relatively) crowds for Internationals. That's something to go after.

I don't see Ireland or Scotland as "viable" nations in he present set up

End of

toulouse will be the start of the natural progression and then a grassroots expansion into ireland and scotlan as well as helping scorpions and crusaders, and weren't scotland european champions recently or did i dream that. 

will anyone answer this, seeing that crusaders are currently in a financial plight and have asked their staff to take a pay cut, what is the logical sense in sending them over to toronto for a league game??