Sign in to follow this  
henage

Park Run

Mrs Moose completed her 250 Park-run on Saturday. Today she ran in a long distance challenge event at York racecourse. To qualify for her running clubs ‘colours’ she had to stay in the race for a minimum of 6 hours and run a minimum of 34 miles. 

She’s been in bed, asleep since 9:00pm ?

• Like 6

I've completed 90 runs now so well set for my 100 target this year.  

I volunteer at a rate of 10% my runs.  Scanning this week.

My last volunteer stint on tokens was a mess.  With another guy we mixed the token order somehow.  Results came out after a lot of work and adjustment at 4:30pm which is a PB as slowest results issued at that PR!

• Like 3

My 4 year old grandson receives his first junior parkrun wristband today, which will be his 12th 2K run. He's also done 2 full parkruns but it's a bit much for him boredom wise, not physically.

Meanwhile I'm closing in on 250, ETA is December.

• Like 3

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

On 01/09/2019 at 09:31, Maximus Decimus said:

I tend to go off fast and then hang on, so after the first kilometre I generally get overtook for the last four.

At my last Parkrun in Derry, I overtook a young lad (17-19) who had given up and was walking. I'm not gonna lie, I felt a little smug about it, showing this young buck how it's done. To my not-insignificant annoyance, he overtook me again on the line.

This moment, including my disbelief, was the photo they got of me and then posted on Facebook. If it wasn't tragic it'd be funny.

I ran a 10K once where a teenager kept stopping to walk, then sprinting, then walking. I kept the same pace and we must have overtaken each other 10 times in the last (uphill) kilometer. Of course he beat me on the sprint finish.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

I'm going to Harrogate this weekend and was just wondering if anyone had done either Harrogate or Conyngham Hall though I think that it is very new (or even Wetherby) parkrun? I'm hoping to go for quite a quick time so was wondering which one was faster. Thanks.

On 16/09/2019 at 19:17, glossop saint said:

Wetherby) parkrun? I'm hoping to go for quite a quick time so was wondering which one was faster. Thanks.

Did you get to run, and quick or steady?

11 hours ago, Charlie RL said:

Did you get to run, and quick or steady?

I did.  We ended up at York instead so given it is something like the 4th flattest so I had to go for it really.  I got a new pb which I was chuffed with but I'm not sure I'd recommend it as a run unless you want to go fast.  It is on the access road of York racecourse so is very fast but very difficult mentally as there is nothing to distract you and you can see the whole circuit stretching out in front of you!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, glossop saint said:

I did.  We ended up at York instead so given it is something like the 4th flattest so I had to go for it really.  I got a new pb which I was chuffed with but I'm not sure I'd recommend it as a run unless you want to go fast.  It is on the access road of York racecourse so is very fast but very difficult mentally as there is nothing to distract you and you can see the whole circuit stretching out in front of you!

I like it - nice fast course, as you say. Heslington (on York University campus) is also pretty quick.

3 hours ago, JonM said:

I like it - nice fast course, as you say. Heslington (on York University campus) is also pretty quick.

Lads been doing the 5k race series around the cycle track . 1st Thursday (could be Tuesday )of the month . Well run , results straight after you finish .

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, henage said:

Lads been doing the 5k race series around the cycle track . 1st Thursday (could be Tuesday )of the month . Well run , results straight after you finish .

Looks like they have a website too. I'll have to tell my son about that - he runs with York AC.

• Like 1

I ran Northampton (racecourse) yesterday.

I had no idea there was an historic racecourse there.  It was a big, flat loop, but not quick for me!

Happy fifteenth birthday parkrun!

Edited by Charlie RL

I celebrated the 15th birthday with a run at Faelledparken in Copenhagen. It's the second time I've done that one and, despite being 5 kg overweight (again) I beat my previous time. I need to get some more running in and, like Martyn Sadler, lay off the biscuits.

• Like 1

Some big parkrun attendances in RL towns today - over 1000 running at Huddersfield, more than 750 at Heslington (York Uni), 500+ at Oldham & Widnes, for example.

• Like 1

I was a parkrun tourist at Pontefract yesterday.  Great hosts and a privilege to run the racecourse circuit.  A few long drags and quite tough going!?

• Like 1

On 23/02/2020 at 12:02, Charlie RL said:

I was a parkrun tourist at Pontefract yesterday.  Great hosts and a privilege to run the racecourse circuit.  A few long drags and quite tough going!?

Don’t you mean the going was Soft with Heavy patches ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Moose said:

According to Mrs Moose tomorrow is the first ever Park Run on February 29th.

Yep. There are some people aiming to have run a parkrun on all 366 days of the year and Feb 29th won't be on Saturday again until 2048. There must be quite a few trains going unspotted on Saturday mornings with all these various parkrun challenges being chased (alphabets, stopwatch bingo and so on...) Harmless fun I suppose.

1 minute ago, JonM said:

Yep. There are some people aiming to have run a parkrun on all 366 days of the year and Feb 29th won't be on Saturday again until 2048. There must be quite a few trains going unspotted on Saturday mornings with all these various parkrun challenges being chased (alphabets, stopwatch bingo and so on...) Harmless fun I suppose.

Good job Mrs Moose is running it tomorrow then, in 2048 she’ll be............. erm, old.

47 minutes ago, Moose said:

Good job Mrs Moose is running it tomorrow then, in 2048 she’ll be............. erm, old.

Yes. I'll be in my late seventies then. A couple of the lads I sometimes have a coffee with after parkrun are in their late seventies, very much hope to be still running at that age like they are, but probably best not to count on it.

Couple of parkruns already cancelled for tomorrow round here due to flooding.

2 hours ago, JonM said:

Yes. I'll be in my late seventies then. A couple of the lads I sometimes have a coffee with after parkrun are in their late seventies, very much hope to be still running at that age like they are, but probably best not to count on it.

Couple of parkruns already cancelled for tomorrow round here due to flooding.

I'll be 86. If I'm alive then I'll be happy enough, if I'm still doing parkrun it will be a miracle.

As a sad mathematician I looked up the "stopwatch bingo" stats to see how long, on average, it would take you to get every "second" number in your parkrun time (0 to 59). Assuming you aren't chasing them and it's actually random, it's called the coupon collector's problem and the average number of runs to achieve this is 281. I'm currently on 261 runs with 1 number to collect (33). Last week I actually got 28.33 on my watch but my time came in at 28.44. I think there was a cockup with the results but I'll not be chasing them about it!!

29 minutes ago, tim2 said:

As a sad mathematician I looked up the "stopwatch bingo" stats to see how long, on average, it would take you to get every "second" number in your parkrun time (0 to 59). Assuming you aren't chasing them and it's actually random, it's called the coupon collector's problem and the average number of runs to achieve this is 281. I'm currently on 261 runs with 1 number to collect (33). Last week I actually got 28.33 on my watch but my time came in at 28.44. I think there was a cockup with the results but I'll not be chasing them about it!!

Got the stopwatch bingo a day before finding out that there was such a thing - would have been somewhere around 280 runs at the time. 

I'd like to have ticked off all of the finish positions between 1 and 99, still missing about a dozen of them (and I suspect #1 might be quite tricky to get.)

2 minutes ago, JonM said:

Got the stopwatch bingo a day before finding out that there was such a thing - would have been somewhere around 280 runs at the time. 

I'd like to have ticked off all of the finish positions between 1 and 99, still missing about a dozen of them (and I suspect #1 might be quite tricky to get.)

You need to seek out the smaller parkruns - getting sent to prison may help.

3rd is my highest finish, out of 30 odd at Himmel parkrun in Arizona.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, tim2 said:

You need to seek out the smaller parkruns - getting sent to prison may help.

I suspect the average prison inmate is a good bit younger than me, and probably a good bit faster tbh.

My new local parkrun is often fewer than 50 people, so I've had a few top 5 finishes, but no higher than 2nd.