Sign in to follow this  
League Express

8 Apr: SL: Warrington Wolves v St Helens KO 8pm (TV)

Who will win?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Warrington Wolves
    • Draw
    • St Helens

Mmm, no. The "common knowledge" - as confirmed by everyone I spoke to last night, and from press reports at the time - is that he was recommended to Salford's then Director of Rugby, Steve Simms via contacts at Featherstone, one of Steve's previous clubs. There is no suggestion that he "walked out" on his previous club any more than any other player who leaves a junior club to turn professional can be said to have walked out on that junior club.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/othersport/645077/Exclusive-Theo-Fages-hopes-continue-living-dream-with-St-Helens-World-Club-Series-News According to Fages himself he come over for a trial and when that went well he signed a contract. 

Do you have a link for this? I don't recall Leeds being involved in Theo's departure at all. However, unlike some of this thread's other attempts at making up a backstory for him, this one's a bit more believable and I'm genuinely interested to know if it's true. The role of agents in the goings on at Salford in recent years is something that's been overlooked by CSI: Marwan, as they tended to focus more on building a pantomime villain to boo.

I also wouldn't want to traduce Leeds without being absolutely sure it was true. I don't think we should kick a club when it's down. It makes us no better than Brian McDermott, and I think we should hold ourselves to a higher standard than that.

I can't find the link anymore, it was in one of Marwan's mad rants and numerous spats with Leeds where he accused them of 'tapping up' Fages and trying to destabilise his team.

No official complain was ever made so who knows whether it was true or whether it was just one of Marwan's broadsides at Leeds.

Lets Get Brexit Done !!!!!

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/othersport/645077/Exclusive-Theo-Fages-hopes-continue-living-dream-with-St-Helens-World-Club-Series-News According to Fages himself he come over for a trial and when that went well he signed a contract. 

Thanks for posting that link.  I didn't think of his signing with Saints as being another time when he told his story.  It's funny how I wasn't making anything up after all.

I can't find the link anymore, it was in one of Marwan's mad rants and numerous spats with Leeds where he accused them of 'tapping up' Fages and trying to destabilise his team.

No official complain was ever made so who knows whether it was true or whether it was just one of Marwan's broadsides at Leeds.

Strange how these links just keep disappearing.

Thanks for posting that link.  I didn't think of his signing with Saints as being another time when he told his story.  It's funny how I wasn't making anything up after all.

So, we have a report that says he was a 16 year old kid whose father arranged a trial for him at Salford (like I said, his father was touting him around British clubs), and you read into that that he resigned from his previous club and came to Britain without a club to go to. Right. OK.

I am a bit disappointed by Red John's negative line of argument about Theo Fages. The young French lad showed talent when he played for Salford, and I believe that many Salford fans admired him when he was there. 

But the important point is that Theo is now blossoming, at the age of 21, into a top quality half at St Helens. It would be surprising if Sean Long has not had an influence on Theo's performance, either at Salford or at St Helens. Until recently, for several weeks Theo was kept off the team by coach Kieron Cunningham, as St Helens went from defeat to defeat. But now Theo has been given his chance, and has shined brightly. We should be celebrating his recent performances rather than sniping at him. Luke Walsh, in his post match interview with Sky, described Theo's performance last week as "awesome." That was well deserved praise.

So, we have a report that says he was a 16 year old kid whose father arranged a trial for him at Salford (like I said, his father was touting him around British clubs), and you read into that that he resigned from his previous club and came to Britain without a club to go to. Right. OK.

I didn't say resign.  I said he left.  There is a difference.  I also said, quite clearly, that I didn't know how he got to Salford specifically.  Give it up. 

I am a bit disappointed by Red John's negative line of argument about Theo Fages. The young French lad showed talent when he played for Salford, and I believe that many Salford fans admired him when he was there. 

But the important point is that Theo is now blossoming, at the age of 21, into a top quality half at St Helens. It would be surprising if Sean Long has not had an influence on Theo's performance, either at Salford or at St Helens. Until recently, for several weeks Theo was kept off the team by coach Kieron Cunningham, as St Helens went from defeat to defeat. But now Theo has been given his chance, and has shined brightly. We should be celebrating his recent performances rather than sniping at him. Luke Walsh, in his post match interview with Sky, described Theo's performance last week as "awesome." That was well deserved praise.

Well said.

I didn't say resign.  I said he left.  There is a difference.  I also said, quite clearly, that I didn't know how he got to Salford specifically.  Give it up. 

You're right, of course. I owe you an apology, because I appear to have misinterpreted your comments. In response to the line "Theo resigned without having any idea where he was going or being confident of being awarded a contract?", you said "It's not the first time he's done that.". Somehow - and don't ask me how - I've managed to read that as you saying "It's not the first time he's resigned without having any idea where he was going or being confident of being awarded a contract". It's clear to me now that what you actually meant was "No, he's never done that before, although he did once leave - but not resign - from some unspecified organisation in France, and later ended up at Salford via some mechanism I have no knowledge of." I really can't see how I misread so badly, so I apologise again and will make no further comment.