Today

Townie123

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think that's the one question that does need answered.

Would any of our other players be allowed to play other sports? Or is it more double standards???

Are we really complaining about a pro rugby player having a game of touch rugby. Is this not just like a boxer doing a bit of sparring? Or a marathon runner going out for a jog. Geez we must have very little to be concerned about at our club if this is such a big deal.

ye it's a bit strange that on the BBC rugby results site he isn't even in the squad naming Walker,Shacks,Verlinden and Callum on the bench at Bradford.

He wasn't named on the official teamsheet either....

post-4435-0-38101500-1461686406_thumb.jpg

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

If Sammut had tweaked his hamstring then there is no way he should be playing touch until he's 100% fit and focused on playing for Town

If his hamstring is fine and the club are happy with his fitness, then he can play touch, ok with that  - it will probably help with his timing as he's been a little bit off at times, and with his wrist injuries then he's not had a rugby ball in his hands for a few months

I thought the issue over who was playing or not last weekend was Szostak not Sammut

Sammut playing for contract last year = outstanding player ripping teams apart sammut this year with good contract = not so bothered, still getting payed, move on if relegated

Would like to think Jarrod would honour the investment and faith the club put into his signing. We took him on when he was already scheduled for a double wrist reconstruction and exercised patience with the rehab which precluded him from the opening games of our campaign. If he has the pride and professionalism to spear-head the desperate struggle for survival which we are now facing I think we have a chance. Time for him to man-up and start doing the stuff that makes him such a game-changer in this league--and time for Phil to send him out there with a roving commission to play it as he sees fit. With the playing roster we have players like Sammut have to be given their head---- s##t or bust time. 

I think you're both wrong. Sammut brought natural flair and skill to the club last year as did Murphy, McAvoy and Callum Phillips in their first seasons at Town.

What we have seen is gifted lads having their gift coached out of them. For instance in his first season at Town we all raved about how safe Jack Murphy was. He might not have been the best attacking full back we've ever seen but he was super safe. In his second season he looked terrified at times and made a lot more mistakes. As did a lot of the lads.

I think they were being coached in such a way that everything had to be safety first with no bells or whistles. And I think that is why we are seeing such a poor brand of rugby being played now by the team.

Can you remember when Callum was being played on the wing or being left out of the side and we couldn't understand why because he was so exciting playing off the cuff in the middle. Can you remember the real eye catching performances from Liam McAvoy that led to him picking up loads of awards at the end of the season. And then, can you remember most games this season where we've stood there and watched five drives up the middle and Jarrod Sammuts only real involvement being the kick on the last. And pretty average kicks, not the "keep you guessing, different every time" kicks we saw last season.

I believe our current squad have enough to hold their own in this league. But I think they are being choked by a stifling game plan that takes away all the skills that brought them to the club in the first place.

I'd like to try a little experiment. Give Veivers a week off and tell the team the game plan for the next game is to "go out and enjoy". 4 words. Simple as that.

I think you're both wrong. Sammut brought natural flair and skill to the club last year as did Murphy, McAvoy and Callum Phillips in their first seasons at Town.

What we have seen is gifted lads having their gift coached out of them. For instance in his first season at Town we all raved about how safe Jack Murphy was. He might not have been the best attacking full back we've ever seen but he was super safe. In his second season he looked terrified at times and made a lot more mistakes. As did a lot of the lads.

I think they were being coached in such a way that everything had to be safety first with no bells or whistles. And I think that is why we are seeing such a poor brand of rugby being played now by the team.

Can you remember when Callum was being played on the wing or being left out of the side and we couldn't understand why because he was so exciting playing off the cuff in the middle. Can you remember the real eye catching performances from Liam McAvoy that led to him picking up loads of awards at the end of the season. And then, can you remember most games this season where we've stood there and watched five drives up the middle and Jarrod Sammuts only real involvement being the kick on the last. And pretty average kicks, not the "keep you guessing, different every time" kicks we saw last season.

I believe our current squad have enough to hold their own in this league. But I think they are being choked by a stifling game plan that takes away all the skills that brought them to the club in the first place.

I'd like to try a little experiment. Give Veivers a week off and tell the team the game plan for the next game is to "go out and enjoy". 4 words. Simple as that.

Seeing as you've just repeated,almost word for word,the off-the -cuff role that I said I would like Sammut to revert to,and my opinion that Vievers should back off and give our other flair players their head ,just how am I "wrong"?

Seeing as you've just repeated,almost word for word,the off-the -cuff role that I said I would like Sammut to revert to,and my opinion that Vievers should back off and give our other flair players their head ,just how am I "wrong"?

I was referring to Havenite13 and Townie123's comments. It's not always about you SS.

You might be right (not you ss) But natural ability with ball in hand is hard to "coach out " of someone .. You can restrict someone's running game to allegedly end up in the right areas of the pitch .. You can restrict someone's offloads to cut out mistakes .. Remember for how ineffective Sammut seems to be he was joint top of the try's scored a few weeks back ...

Slightly off subject to diffuse things a little, but nice to see one of our local sides performing with some flair and guts - well done the Reds on their fantastic 4-3 win at Blyth last night in the play-off semi final.

All to do again at the weekend in the final and it will be a big ask for them - but well done on getting this far, anything more will be a bonus for the club and the town!

Spot on. The difference for me is that last season he'd been in and out at London etc. and was enjoying playing regularly whereas this season he's been criticised publicly by the coach and is restricted to one side of the field.

On that point does PV think other coaches don't watch vids of us? They obviously do and every one would look exactly like another, you'd say to your players " they don't offload and all you need to watch is big Phillips running in a straight line down the left".

I like your last point above, I remember when Butch and Ashy had the job for a month and you could see that's what the said to them...it was the best rugby I've seen down there in many a year. Yeah you need  a professional approach but you have to enjoy it as well , if your gonna lose at least entertain the fans doing it.

Archived