29 Apr-1 May: The Kingstone Press Championship Match Thread

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few years ago, Mick was doing (voluntary) commentary for folk with disabilities and in hospital.  He lent me one of the headsets so I could listen in during one of our games, while sat watching it in the stand, to see what I thought.  I'm afraid, after the game, I had to go tell him the awful truth.

He was very, very good. 

I was seriously impressed.  And it takes a lot nowdays to impress a grumpy old sod like me.

Heard his commentary for first time last week, helped we won but I was also impressed as the commentary was balanced and informative. Actually felt had an idea what was happening on the pitch. Will try and look out for them more often.

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.

Heard his commentary for first time last week, helped we won but I was also impressed as the commentary was balanced and informative. Actually felt had an idea what was happening on the pitch. Will try and look out for them more often.

Glad you enjoyed it. I'll send you a message the next time I'm calling a London Broncos match.

From what Andrew Henderson said after the game, plans are afoot to put in more seating ahead of the Super 8s.

Amazing that actually having a decent coach can be one of the best marketing moves a club can make.

Sheffield letting Dom Brambani leave has got to be one of the worst decisions by any RL team in recent years. Even as a part time player he is streets above anything they have got this season.

Seen Leigh play Batley twice now and Brambani has been sheer quality on both occassions. Aston has made a right balls up letting him go.

Well done to Batley. They really pushed us all the way today and it was a tense last few minutes. We were lucky to come away with the points. Although I think we showed that when we NEED to do it we can, our last 5 minutes of rugby was as good as I have seen from us this year. We played to our potential and ripped Batley to shreds. If only we could do that for 80 mins instead of 5!!

I disagree with Mick's turning point, and indeed with his claim that Akers' try shouldn't have been awarded.

For me, the turning point came when London had equalised at 14-14 and had Bradford in all sorts of trouble. Addy kicked a magnificent 40/20 which provided the opportunity to apply some pressure and keep the ball at the London end. Instead, they got a penalty early in the ensuing set and kicked the goal. An odd decision and the game was over by the time Bradford got down that end again.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Sheffield letting Dom Brambani leave has got to be one of the worst decisions by any RL team in recent years. Even as a part time player he is streets above anything they have got this season.

Seen Leigh play Batley twice now and Brambani has been sheer quality on both occassions. Aston has made a right balls up letting him go.

Sheffield Eagles did NOT let him go.Apparently he has a successful business and was unable to become a full-time rugby league player.

One man does not a team make.If you could be just a little patient until the end of the season you could then demonstrate your envy for Sheffield Eagles and Mark Aston.

At the end of the campaign we can all see who is streets ahead.

It must be bad at Leigh for an opposition player to get some credit - Or perhaps the envious eyes towards Sheffield Eagles was the motivating factor.

Anything they have got this season? Pah! We are just warming up about now.You must have missed our remarkable comeback on Friday night.Managed it without Dom.

Unless you are just trying to motivate Sheffield Eagles for their games against London.You must be really worried...

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Sheffield Eagles did NOT let him go.Apparently he has a successful business and was unable to become a full-time rugby league player.

One man does not a team make.If you could be just a little patient until the end of the season you could then demonstrate your envy for Sheffield Eagles and Mark Aston.

It must be bad at Leigh for an opposition player to get some credit - Or perhaps the envious eyes towards Sheffield Eagles was the motivating factor.

Anything they have got this season? Pah! We are just warming up about now.You must have missed our remarkable comeback on Friday night.Managed it without Dom.

Unless you are just trying to motivate Sheffield Eagles for their games against London.You must be really worried...

This is why l.s.d is illegal

Nothing of the sort Angel,

Well not as far as I am concerned, I am one of those strange people who actually watch both teams, call it as I see it, chastise my own team and applaud the opposition as and when it fits.

I pay to see two teams perform and I am not myopic in that there is only one team on the field, I appreciate a good pass, tackle, kick, move and overall performance of any player on the park whatever uniform he wears.

And,............. the ref doesn't only favour the opposition and makes all the bad decisions against my team.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

Going FT was clearly not the right decision for Sheffield. Losing Quality Players like Brambani because he cant/will not be FT is not good Business.Simply not enough good experienced Players around to basically build a complete new squad on. Many Championship Players rightly have concentrated on a career than a couple of years being a pro in the Championship. Sheffield could easily be relegated if not careful and face a real battle to make the top 4. I am of the opinion like many others,Sheffield were wrong to go completely FT this year.

I disagree with Mick's turning point, and indeed with his claim that Akers' try shouldn't have been awarded.

For me, the turning point came when London had equalised at 14-14 and had Bradford in all sorts of trouble. Addy kicked a magnificent 40/20 which provided the opportunity to apply some pressure and keep the ball at the London end. Instead, they got a penalty early in the ensuing set and kicked the goal. An odd decision and the game was over by the time Bradford got down that end again.

We looked absolutely clueless with the ball in the second half. Diskin called for two points probably sensing this.

Akers clearly lost the ball in his attempt to score under the tackle of Addy and Olbison. Some you get, some you don't, James Child got this one wrong.

But that isn't why we lost the game, we unprofessionally allowed the decision to get to us and from the restart Dale Ferguson went in with the head and 13 v 12 saw in the heat saw London close out the game.

Sheffield could easily be relegated if not careful and face a real battle to make the top 4. I am of the opinion like many others,Sheffield were wrong to go completely FT this year.

The signings made were predominantly young and were given contracts,in the main,for 3 years.Those young players will certainly improve in a full time environment.

Leigh signed 'experienced' internationals and their fans complain of not being entertained for the full 80 and the standard of play is,in their eyes,not as high as last year - despite their lofty position in the table.

I think the end of this campaign is the time to judge whether or not Sheffield Eagles going full time was the correct decision.

Because far greater minds than mine have already made the decision I haven't seen anything yet to make me think they made an error.

How can it not be more beneficial,on so many levels?

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

The signings made were predominantly young and were given contracts,in the main,for 3 years.Those young players will certainly improve in a full time environment.

Leigh signed 'experienced' internationals and their fans complain of not being entertained for the full 80 and the standard of play is,in their eyes,not as high as last year - despite their lofty position in the table.

I think the end of this campaign is the time to judge whether or not Sheffield Eagles going full time was the correct decision.

Because far greater minds than mine have already made the decision I haven't seen anything yet to make me think they made an error.

How can it not be more beneficial,on so many levels?

My opinion is that Sheffield rushed in thinking FT would see them improve and get in to SL. Clearly they have not and are in a weaker state than last year and are going to struggle to make the top 4 which will see them lose out on big money. I would think your outgoings are far higher with a FT team than a PT team. Failure to meet a top 4 finish will hurt. They maybe talented young players but Sheffield have struggles this year and need to go on a good run to somehow get back in the top 4. Fax and Fev have much better points difference and Fax who somehow are 4th despite playing poorly have a 4 point advantage and Batley 3. Nothing wrong with signing young players or experienced internationals.But being FT adds a lot of pressure on a club to meet targets. Leigh are almost certain now of top 2 finish and so the risk of signing Chase and co can be covered. Sheffield not so. Sheffield do have a small squad and maybe the inexperience and lack og quality in depth will hurt them more than if they had a larger PT squad which had more quality, like last year.

Yes that and buying a lucky trestle table.

I did wonder at what point we would need to sort out a more "robust" entry system to the ground other than RL's equivalent of a Golf Course's "Honesty Box". Paying (cash only) at the table is hardly going to cut the mustard if we do get to play someone like Leeds at home come August.

Imo you build a squad for SL which will take at best 2/3 years of being FT. Derek has decided to buy a squad to get SL this season and it is not firing fully yet due to key areas of absence in the pivots and centres. When McNally is back we will have the catalyst for most of our best plays these past few years and be far better organized in defence. I see some huge selection headaches coming up for Jukes and on current form see some 'big' names not making the 17.

We are playing brilliantly in small patchys but looking lethargic in large ones, when we turn it on we score quick points and teams cannot live with us, but can we turn it on more come the 8's? My pack for the 8's would be Moimoi Higham Weston Hansen Maitua Patterson Subs Acton, Hopkins, Whiting Hood, I believe that can do the job better than last years and on form could take us up

Swinton won again, 5 out of 5 for us now. Bradford and Leigh are up next so it might stay at 5 though!

"When you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get." -Homer Simpson

mark.gif

"I couldn't be more chuffed if I were a badger at the start of the mating season" Ian Holloway

Archived