NRL Players off contract end of 2016

Wakey are supposedly signing David Fifita and Tom Symonds is reportedly heading to Hudds, almost immediately.

A few others have dropped off the list:

• Sam Tagataese has extended for 2 years at the Fish
  • Cody Walker extension at the Bunnies
  • Warriors have extended Shaun Johnson for one year, taken up an option on winger Ken Maumalo and extended his deal until the end of 2018 and re-signed halfback Mason Lino.
  • Wests have taken up options on Brooks and Moses, re-signed Chris Lawrence and Curtis Sironen and let Josh Addo Carr go to the Storm next year
  • Cows have re-signed Kane Linnett for 2 years

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GOLD COAST TITANS

Lachlan Burr, Nathan Friend, David Hala, David Mead, Daniel Mortimer, Kierran Moseley, Nathaniel Peteru, Leivaha Pulu, Matt Robinson, Ryan Simpkins, Matt Srama

- Nathan Friend will retire

- Titans will keep Mead, Pulu and probably Mortimer as spare 9. The arrival of Peats makes Srama and Moseley already redundant. Kane Elgey's return next year and the development of Ash Taylor makes Mortimer redundant too but, because he's a 6,7,9, he's slightly more useful than Moseley and Srama.

- Burr, Hala, Peteru and Robinson are all grafter/backup types but couldn't command any serious money on the open market.

Acvording to Love Rugby League Mead rumoured to have been made an offer from Cas. Wants to play full back apparently. Doubt he will come but I would be pleased with it if he did.

Fox Sports says Canterbury is also interested in Mead. I can't believe that any player would think a promise of the #1 shirt would be bankable. Surely they understand you just play wherever they need you. I can remember Jason Nightingale coming off the bench as a back rower for St George because that's what they needed.

The Dogs already have Hopoate and B-Moz + Perrett so I can't see them promising FB to anyone. Same story Cas. If they've just signed Greg Eden they wouldn't be using Eden as a winger. Surely Eden would be the replacement for Luke Dorn.

But, you've only got to look at some of my performances in the Tipping Comp and Supercoach to realise that I don't know much about RL at all, apparently.

Fox Sports says Canterbury is also interested in Mead. I can't believe that any player would think a promise of the #1 shirt would be bankable. Surely they understand you just play wherever they need you. I can remember Jason Nightingale coming off the bench as a back rower for St George because that's what they needed.

The Dogs already have Hopoate and B-Moz + Perrett so I can't see them promising FB to anyone. Same story Cas. If they've just signed Greg Eden they wouldn't be using Eden as a winger. Surely Eden would be the replacement for Luke Dorn.

But, you've only got to look at some of my performances in the Tipping Comp and Supercoach to realise that I don't know much about RL at all, apparently.

May just be the media taking a bit of an off the cuff comment re full back. I spose he may see more chance of making full back at Cas as oppose to NRL Clubs with or without Eden. But I'd be extremely suprised if we got him, don't get to see much NRL but he looks like a pretty good player with decent stats and NRL options.

Rumour today that James Tamou has signed with Panthers for 4 years, starting 2017

Its a done deal, announced by his Manager today.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Another nail in Ben Garcia's coffin.

I'm not sure why he's here. He could have stayed last time he was out here in Qld. Maybe he just likes OZ, or Penrith area. He's ticked off a few highlights, according to his Twitter - Cairns, Origin.

Maybe he wasn't on big $$$ at Cats and figured he could have a bit of a holiday here and get the same $$$.

I'm not sure why he's here. He could have stayed last time he was out here in Qld. Maybe he just likes OZ, or Penrith area. He's ticked off a few highlights, according to his Twitter - Cairns, Origin.

Maybe he wasn't on big $$$ at Cats and figured he could have a bit of a holiday here and get the same $$$.

He told us that he wanted a chance to play NRL, as simple as that. He said that maybe it was the only chance he'd get in his life so that he had to take it. 

And Penrith infrastructures are among the best in the world. 

Symonds is a good value back rower with good ball skills. The Roosters and Manly have used him in the centres and halves for injury cover. I think the only reason the Roosters punted him (and Takairangi) was to afford SBW. He's only missed about 5 games since the start of 2013 and I don't think he's had any shoulder or knee injuries - often the kiss of death for RL players.

He's only 27 so if it works out he might stay 5 years.

Symonds is a good value back rower with good ball skills. The Roosters and Manly have used him in the centres and halves for injury cover. I think the only reason the Roosters punted him (and Takairangi) was to afford SBW. He's only missed about 5 games since the start of 2013 and I don't think he's had any shoulder or knee injuries - often the kiss of death for RL players.

I like the fact that he is a relatively young man. A ball playing forward won't go amiss at Hudds. Wouldn't be surprised if he has got a 3.5 year contract. I hope he is luckier than Sebastine Ikahihifo who got his jaw broken in his second game for Hudds...

He told us that he wanted a chance to play NRL, as simple as that. He said that maybe it was the only chance he'd get in his life so that he had to take it. 

And Penrith infrastructures are among the best in the world. 

From a purely logical perspective Penrith made no sense given the enormous competition for places, but I understand his wishes and maybe he didn't have any other offers. Why Penrith signed him to stock up the NSW cup team is beyond me.

Did he burn his bridges at Catalans like Gadwin Springer or is there a chance he could return?

I like the fact that he is a relatively young man. A ball playing forward won't go amiss at Hudds. Wouldn't be surprised if he has got a 3.5 year contract. I hope he is luckier than Sebastine Ikahihifo who got his jaw broken in his second game for Hudds...

Apparently the deal was almost done but Saints threw a spanner in the works with a late counter bid for Symonds which he's now considering. Saints had to wait until the Burns & Charnock loans were done before they could make the offer.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Apparently the deal was almost done but Saints threw a spanner in the works with a late counter bid for Symonds which he's now considering. Saints had to wait until the Burns & Charnock loans were done before they could make the offer.

Top, here's a post from the TRL sub-forum:-

http://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=286842

According to sky Cas close to signing a 'big' NRL prop. No idea who but doubt their is anything in the Mead rumour if so (don't have quota space for 2). Josh Starling is a name I have heard mentioned.

Wigan rumoured to be signing Frank - Paul Nu-uausala.

EDIT - latest rumour is that the Big NRL prop Cas are close to signing is Paul Gallen.

I'd be very surprised if it was Gallen. His form this year is good enough for 1 more year at The Fish then he could retire as a 1-club player and save the trouble of moving house.

I'd be very surprised if it was Gallen. His form this year is good enough for 1 more year at The Fish then he could retire as a 1-club player and save the trouble of moving house.

Seems unlikely to me. Only reason I could think is that it's a multi - year contract compared to 1 year NRL contracts.

Gallen to Cas just doesn't feel right. He's really not their usual type of signing.

He's not but we have as fans been calling for 1 or 2 real quality signings rather than players Powell improves. This would fit into that catagory. But agreed, I can't see it.

Tom Symonds is in the 19 for the Giants' Friday night's game vs Salford at the AJ Bell. 

http://giantsrl.com/news/article/5429/symonds-is-a-giant-?platform=hootsuite

The announcement of his arrival was delayed owing to the desperately sad death of Ronan Costello.

• 2 months later...

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/125-million-worth-of-nrl-talent-without-contract-for-season-2017/news-story/1ed7547cdeb87bb663395f4b6b582b3c

This list is a bit misleading because a lot of deals have been done but the paperwork hasn't been submitted to the NRL yet.

PLAYERS OFF CONTRACT (yet to be announced) and 2017 GAINS AND LOSSES:

BRISBANE

Off contract — Matt Gillett, Lachlan Maranta, Herman Ese’ese, Kodi Nikorima, Jaydn Su’a, Travis Waddell, Carlin Anderson, Francis Molo, Tom Opacic

Gains — Moses Pangai (Cowboys),

Losses — Corey Parker (retirement), Jarrod Wallace (Titans), Greg Eden (Castleford)

CANBERRA

Off contract — Kurt Baptiste, Rhys Kennedy, Zac Santo, Sam Williams

Gains — Jordan Turner (St Helens)

Losses — Brenko Lee (Raiders)

CANTERBURY

Off contract — Tony Williams, Greg Eastwood, Matt Frawley

Gains — Brenko Lee (Raiders)

Losses — Sam Perrett (retirement), Curtis Rona (rugby union), Pat O’Hanlon (retiring)

CRONULLA

Off contract — Paul Gallen, Chris Heighington, Matt McIlwrick, Sam Tagataese, Josh Cleeland, Kurt Capewell, Jacob Gagan, Junior Roqica

Gains — Manaia Cherrington (Tigers)

Losses — Michael Ennis (retirement), Connor Tracey (Rabbitohs)

GOLD COAST

Off contract — Cameron Cullen, Lachlan Burr, David Mead, Daniel Mortimer, Kierran Moseley, Nathaniel Peteru, Matt Robinson, Ryan Simpkins, Matt Srama

Gains — Jarrod Wallace (Broncos), Dan Sarginson (Wigan)

Losses — Nathan Friend (retirement)

MANLY

Off contract — Pita Godinet, Fabian Goodall, Nathan Green, Jayden Hodges, Isaac John, Blake Leary, Tony Satini, Josh Starling, Jorge Taufua, Brayden Wiliame

Gains — None

Losses — Jamie Lyon (retirement)

MELBOURNE

Off contract — Nelson Asofa-Solomona, Cheyse Blair, Kenny Bromwich, Blake Green, Slade Griffin, Matt White

Gains — Josh Addo-Carr (Tigers), Vincent Leuluai (Roosters)

Losses — Marika Koroibete (rugby union), Josh Kerr (Dragons), Ryan Morgan (St Helens)

WARRIORS

Off contract — Mafoa’aeata Hingano, Shaun Lane, Ali Lauitiiti, Mason Lino, Sione Lousi, John Palavi, Henare Wells, Jonathan Wright

Gains — None

Losses — Thomas Leuluai (Wigan), Ben Henry (retiring)

NEWCASTLE

Off contract — Chris Adams, Bryce Donovan, Krys Freeman, Bradie Smith

Gains — None

Losses — Robbie Rochow (Rabbitohs), James McManus (retirement)

NORTH QUEENSLAND

Off contract — Ben Hannant, Rory Kostjasyn, Tautau Moga, Jahrome Hughes

Gains — None

Losses — James Tamou (Panthers), Mosese Pangai (Broncos)

PARRAMATTA

Off contract — Mitch Cornish, Bureta Faraimo, James Hasson, Luke Kelly, Cameron King, Cody Nelson, Jeff Robson, Kelepi Tanginoa, Vai Toutai

Gains — Jamal Fogarty, Siosaia Vave (Sea Eagles)

Losses — Kieran Foran (released), Michael Gordon (Roosters), Anthony Watmough (retirement), , Tyrell Fuimaono (Rabbitohs)

PENRITH

Off contract — Zak Hardaker, George Jennings, Suaia Matagi, Andy Saunders, Will Smith, Tupou Sopoaga

Gains — James Tamou (Cowboys),

Losses — Robert Jennings (Rabbitohs), Braidon Burns (Rabbitohs)

SOUTH SYDNEY

Off contract — Nathan Brown, Brock Gray, Hymel Hunt, Ed Murphy, Zane Musgrove, Michael Oldfield, Riley Travers, Cheyne Whitelaw, Tautalatasi Tasi, Jack Gosiewski

Gains — Robbie Rochow (Knights), Robert Jennings (Panthers), Braidon Burns (Panthers), , Tyrell Fuimaono (Eels), Connor Tracey (Sharks)

Losses — Luke Keary (Roosters), Joe Burgess (Wigan)

ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA

Off contract — Benji Marshall, Mitch Rein, Dylan Farrell, Luciano Leilua, Adam Quinlan

Gains — Josh Kerr (Storm)

Losses — Mike Cooper (Warrington), Ben Creagh (retirement)

SYDNEY ROOSTERS

Off contract — Tyler Cornish, Mitchell Frei, Ian Henderson, Martin Kennedy, Sam Moa, Abraham Papalii, Omar Slaimankhel, Eloni Vunakece, Joey Lussick

Gains — Luke Keary (Rabbitohs), Michael Gordon (Eels)

Losses — Vincent Leuluai (Storm)

WESTS TIGERS

Off contract — Elijah Taylor, Rod Griffin, Chance Peni, Bayley Sironen

Gains — None

Losses — Dene Halatau (retirement), Josh Addo-Carr (Storm), Manaia Cherrington (Sharks)

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/125-million-worth-of-nrl-talent-without-contract-for-season-2017/news-story/1ed7547cdeb87bb663395f4b6b582b3c

This list is a bit misleading because a lot of deals have been done but the paperwork hasn't been submitted to the NRL yet.

PLAYERS OFF CONTRACT (yet to be announced) and 2017 GAINS AND LOSSES:

BRISBANE

Off contract — Matt Gillett, Lachlan Maranta, Herman Ese’ese, Kodi Nikorima, Jaydn Su’a, Travis Waddell, Carlin Anderson, Francis Molo, Tom Opacic

Gains — Moses Pangai (Cowboys),

Losses — Corey Parker (retirement), Jarrod Wallace (Titans), Greg Eden (Castleford)

CANBERRA

Off contract — Kurt Baptiste, Rhys Kennedy, Zac Santo, Sam Williams

Gains — Jordan Turner (St Helens)

Losses — Brenko Lee (Raiders)

CANTERBURY

Off contract — Tony Williams, Greg Eastwood, Matt Frawley

Gains — Brenko Lee (Raiders)

Losses — Sam Perrett (retirement), Curtis Rona (rugby union), Pat O’Hanlon (retiring)

CRONULLA

Off contract — Paul Gallen, Chris Heighington, Matt McIlwrick, Sam Tagataese, Josh Cleeland, Kurt Capewell, Jacob Gagan, Junior Roqica

Gains — Manaia Cherrington (Tigers)

Losses — Michael Ennis (retirement), Connor Tracey (Rabbitohs)

GOLD COAST

Off contract — Cameron Cullen, Lachlan Burr, David Mead, Daniel Mortimer, Kierran Moseley, Nathaniel Peteru, Matt Robinson, Ryan Simpkins, Matt Srama

Gains — Jarrod Wallace (Broncos), Dan Sarginson (Wigan)

Losses — Nathan Friend (retirement)

MANLY

Off contract — Pita Godinet, Fabian Goodall, Nathan Green, Jayden Hodges, Isaac John, Blake Leary, Tony Satini, Josh Starling, Jorge Taufua, Brayden Wiliame

Gains — None

Losses — Jamie Lyon (retirement)

MELBOURNE

Off contract — Nelson Asofa-Solomona, Cheyse Blair, Kenny Bromwich, Blake Green, Slade Griffin, Matt White

Gains — Josh Addo-Carr (Tigers), Vincent Leuluai (Roosters)

Losses — Marika Koroibete (rugby union), Josh Kerr (Dragons), Ryan Morgan (St Helens)

WARRIORS

Off contract — Mafoa’aeata Hingano, Shaun Lane, Ali Lauitiiti, Mason Lino, Sione Lousi, John Palavi, Henare Wells, Jonathan Wright

Gains — None

Losses — Thomas Leuluai (Wigan), Ben Henry (retiring)

NEWCASTLE

Off contract — Chris Adams, Bryce Donovan, Krys Freeman, Bradie Smith

Gains — None

Losses — Robbie Rochow (Rabbitohs), James McManus (retirement)

NORTH QUEENSLAND

Off contract — Ben Hannant, Rory Kostjasyn, Tautau Moga, Jahrome Hughes

Gains — None

Losses — James Tamou (Panthers), Mosese Pangai (Broncos)

PARRAMATTA

Off contract — Mitch Cornish, Bureta Faraimo, James Hasson, Luke Kelly, Cameron King, Cody Nelson, Jeff Robson, Kelepi Tanginoa, Vai Toutai

Gains — Jamal Fogarty, Siosaia Vave (Sea Eagles)

Losses — Kieran Foran (released), Michael Gordon (Roosters), Anthony Watmough (retirement), , Tyrell Fuimaono (Rabbitohs)

PENRITH

Off contract — Zak Hardaker, George Jennings, Suaia Matagi, Andy Saunders, Will Smith, Tupou Sopoaga

Gains — James Tamou (Cowboys),

Losses — Robert Jennings (Rabbitohs), Braidon Burns (Rabbitohs)

SOUTH SYDNEY

Off contract — Nathan Brown, Brock Gray, Hymel Hunt, Ed Murphy, Zane Musgrove, Michael Oldfield, Riley Travers, Cheyne Whitelaw, Tautalatasi Tasi, Jack Gosiewski

Gains — Robbie Rochow (Knights), Robert Jennings (Panthers), Braidon Burns (Panthers), , Tyrell Fuimaono (Eels), Connor Tracey (Sharks)

Losses — Luke Keary (Roosters), Joe Burgess (Wigan)

ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA

Off contract — Benji Marshall, Mitch Rein, Dylan Farrell, Luciano Leilua, Adam Quinlan

Gains — Josh Kerr (Storm)

Losses — Mike Cooper (Warrington), Ben Creagh (retirement)

SYDNEY ROOSTERS

Off contract — Tyler Cornish, Mitchell Frei, Ian Henderson, Martin Kennedy, Sam Moa, Abraham Papalii, Omar Slaimankhel, Eloni Vunakece, Joey Lussick

Gains — Luke Keary (Rabbitohs), Michael Gordon (Eels)

Losses — Vincent Leuluai (Storm)

WESTS TIGERS

Off contract — Elijah Taylor, Rod Griffin, Chance Peni, Bayley Sironen

Gains — None

Losses — Dene Halatau (retirement), Josh Addo-Carr (Storm), Manaia Cherrington (Sharks)

I was just about to comment how Nelson Asofa Solomona would tear it up in Superleague, but I've just googled him and seen he has now signed an extension at the Storm.

I was just about to comment how Nelson Asofa Solomona would tear it up in Superleague, but I've just googled him and seen he has now signed an extension at the Storm.

I would think all the RU teams would throw money at him before SL. He's be great in lineouts.

Archived