NRL Players off contract end of 2016

WESTS TIGERS

Josh Addo-Carr, Michael Chee-Kam, Manaia Cherrington, Asipeli Fine, Dallas Graham, Rod Griffin, Dene Halatau, Justin Hunt,  Jack Littlejohn, Chance Peni, Bayley Sironen, Sauaso Sue

The club is currently trying to negotiate extensions with Brooks and Moses. Until these are sorted I don't think anything will happen. They both want unrealistic pay rises so the best move would be to say No, hint that we can only afford one of them and see who blinks first.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WESTS TIGERS

Josh Addo-Carr, Michael Chee-Kam, Manaia Cherrington, Asipeli Fine, Dallas Graham, Rod Griffin, Dene Halatau, Justin Hunt, Chris Lawrence, Jack Littlejohn, Chance Peni, Bayley Sironen, Sauaso Sue

The club is currently trying to negotiate extensions with Brooks and Moses. Until these are sorted I don't think anything will happen. They both want unrealistic pay rises so the best move would be to say No, hint that we can only afford one of them and see who blinks first.

I'd give Brooks 1K/year for every tackle he does not miss. He would starve to death.

I'd give Brooks 1K/year for every tackle he does not miss. He would starve to death.

We've got a squad full of young guys getting paid for potential that has never materialised. Moses has improved but Brooks hasn't. Moses at least makes an effort in defence and gets his shoulder into it. We've dropped Sironen again this week so maybe we're finally waking up.

MELBOURNE STORM

Nelson Asofa-Solomona, Cheyse Blair, Kenny Bromwich, Cooper Cronk, Blake Green, Ben Hampton, Richard Kennar, Mark Nicholls, Young Tonumaipea, Matt White

Obviously the only holdup with Cronk is the fine print. The other priorities would be Asofa-Solomona, Kenny Bromwich and either Green or Hampton but possibly not both. (See the above post about Kodi Nikorima)

Blair, Kennar, Tonumaipea and White are all expendable but worth another year.

If I was running the Storm I'd be tempted to keep all the expendables on 1-2 year deals. When Smith or Cronk pull the plug they will free up a lot of cash to go shopping and the Storm are sitting 2nd with their current roster so what's the hurry?

Storm have a lot of quality youngsters and always have really and been prepared to give them a chance. Korobete will free up some cash and Vanivalu is unexpected but what a great replacement! . Hampton has done nothing and would release him. White also has done nothing. I think they have enough space to bring Nikorima in, but he wants more minutes which he will not get at Brisbane. Maybe Storm need another Wing/Centre and Halfback. Forwards are strong, with good strength in depth and the Backs have proved themselves to be good replacements. Storm will not go out and sign any big names as they never have done and probably why they have strength in depth in most positions, as many are on cheap contracts from U20 days. Blair, Solomona, Kennar, K Bromwich, Tonumaipea to defo resign. Cronk will sign I feel. Green is 50/50.

CRONULLA SHARKS

My guess:

- older guys are all in good form. I'd give Gallen, Lewis, Ennis another year and maybe quietly tap Heighington on the shoulder.

- the Sharks' improving financial position and their performance this year would make it easy to replace Bukuya, Tagataese, David Fifita and Roqica. These all qualify for Pacific passports so could be attractive to SL teams.

Fifita will not move to SL in my opinion. At worst he will go to France for Union. I think he has too much to offer in NRL if not Sharks. With the ageing forward pack, it might be in the sharks interest to keep Fifita as a long term player providing his recent personality turn around and on field disciple can be sustained.

I think you are spot on w the older forwards. One more year out of Lewis and Gallen. Maybe a second for Ennis. All three are playing rep form at the moment. Sharks will need some strong recruitment in the off season to prepare for a new pack.

I think all the pieces will fall into place very quickly as soon as the big names are resolved. Cronk, Tamou, Norman, Parker and Gillett are probably the big money names and most would probably prefer to stay where they are.

Corey Norman's drug bust might throw a wild card into the mix. If he gets convicted, he probably gets banned for at least 12 months by the NRL, Parra gets $600K to play with. Alternatively, he gets off but his reputation takes a hit and his demand for a pay rise collapses.

If Marwan could snare 

Cooper Cronk

Matt Gillette

Luke Lewis

Paul Gallen

Kenny Bromich

Corey Norman

Salford would be nailed on for the Finals....

And we have another bash the chairman thread, I'm really looking forward to more of that! :fie:

It is a good line up though!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Keep Brown, Musgrove, Hunt & Clark all cheep squad players & sign Carter up long term he's a cracker. Keary won't be at Souths I've heard he has already signed with St George, Oldfield isn't NRL standard, Cody Walker would be a good pick up for a SL club as would Dave Tyrell who won't be retained by the Rabbitohs either.

Fox is saying today that the Broncos want Cody Walker. They've only got 3 or 4 Kiwi Test players and 7 Origin players so they should have plenty of room left under the cap.

I thought Musgrove looked good at the start of the year. There was also an article earlier this week that Clark was being pushed out. I'd take him. Oldfield was just injury cover. I don't know if you saw that huge brawl that Brown was involved in during a 20s game but, after that, he would be dirt cheap.

Will Smith would be a star signing for anyone...

He's too good for reserve grade. I was amazed when he got a run in NRL. He's very fast, good hands, safe under the high ball.

You've seen him play, Hvy Wg? What did you think?

No, I didn't. I wish I had the time to see all the NRL games but hélas!

I've seen Panthers play a few times in a couple of years and was always impressed with Mansour. I would like to see Ben Garcia, too but it seems unlikely even during SOO... 

A lot of these players will be re-signed but, such is the nature of the salary cap limit that all the big pieces have to fit into the puzzle first before most of the grafters and "future potential" spots are filled. From my observations of SL, many clubs need experienced, game-manager types and tackle-robots, rather than megastars.

NEWCASTLE KNIGHTS

Bryce Donovan, Krys Freeman, Josh King, Alex McKinnon, James McManus, Robbie Rochow, Nathan Ross, Tariq Sims, Bradie Smith

alex Mckinnon.....the lad that broke his neck and can't walk?

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS

Tom Carr, Ben Creagh, Matthew Dufty, Dylan Farrell, Jake Marketo, Benji Marshall, Mitch Rein, Joel Thompson

- Ben Creagh possibly retiring and going into a management job at the club

- Benji was offered $300K, knocked it back and then the club pulled that offer. He won't be there next year

- Mitch Rein is a priority and probably Joel Thompson

- Carr and Dufty were stars in StGeo 20s and probably warrant another year

- Marketo is a good value grafter and Farrell is 50/50

Given Benji Marshall's age and that he's looking past his best, it wouldn't surprise me to see him try to land a SL club for a season or two just to top up his pension fund.

alex Mckinnon.....the lad that broke his neck and can't walk?

Up until the last Collective Bargaining Agreement, he would have had his pay cut by 25% for each year of a contract that he didn't play. Since 2013 he's entitled to full pay for the duration of the contract.

The downside of this is that many players over 30 can't get 3-year deals and, some who are 17-20 games a year regulars can only get 1-year deals.

Fox is saying today that the Broncos want Cody Walker. They've only got 3 or 4 Kiwi Test players and 7 Origin players so they should have plenty of room left under the cap.

I thought Musgrove looked good at the start of the year. There was also an article earlier this week that Clark was being pushed out. I'd take him. Oldfield was just injury cover. I don't know if you saw that huge brawl that Brown was involved in during a 20s game but, after that, he would be dirt cheap.

I've heard the rumour about Brisbane wanting Walker and just cannot believe the hide of that club, I mean Its one thing to be cheating the cap but there just having a laugh (as are NQ).

I'd be very upset if we realised Jason Clark he is as South Sydney as they come & extremely loyal.

I've heard the rumour about Brisbane wanting Walker and just cannot believe the hide of that club, I mean Its one thing to be cheating the cap but there just having a laugh (as are NQ).

I'd be very upset if we realised Jason Clark he is as South Sydney as they come & extremely loyal.

Doubt Cowboys are busting the cap. Coote is on a lower salery than what he could get and turned down bigger deals. Granville will be on a small contract as will the likes of Bolton, O´Niell, Winterstein, Feldt, Kafusi, Hannant, Lowe, Kostasyn who are all before last season unknowns or not really wanted by anybody., I would only think Thurston, Morgan, Taumololo, Scott would be on big contracts and Thurston will be on good 3rd party contracts. The problem for the Cowboys will be the re signing of players who will want more, which may hurt them more in the future rather than now. The likes of Moga, Tamou will probably be elsewhere next year.

My point is...hes a quadriplegic...kinda rules out the poor lad of getting a SL contract...dunno why you included him tbh

Somewhere in a dank NSW basement, a hilarious NRL fanboy blogger is writing a click bait piece suggesting he could...

Archived