Wigan to sign Frenchman

Hvy wg

So at this rate which French players are confirmed or very likely to be playing abroad?

Fages - St Helens

Larroyer - Hull KR

Boubedza - Hull KR

Springer - Castleford

Simon - Wakefield

Maria - Leigh

Navvarete - Wigan

Nzougou - Melbourne

Barthau - London

Julien - Warrington

Robin - Sheffield

Bouzinac - CQ Capras

Pelissier - ??

Escare - ??

With most of those a big chance of playing in World Cup squad, plus hopefully Toulouse playing in Championship next year things should be on the up for the national team. Especially with more French Catalans players taking on a senior role and a new crop of youngsters coming through.

I always like seeing a French player signed to an English club for the reasons already stated by others, it inevitably means nore French players in Pro RL and breaks up thr Catalans monopoly on the National team..

BUT...

They are towing a fine line here letting so many players go at once.. have to wonder at the depth they will have next season even taking in to account the signings they will no doubt make. Still extremely unlikely but if Catalans were to be relegated it would be a monumental disaster for the game of Rugby League.

Catalans should be exempt from relegation, to avoid such a disaster !! (Ditto Toulouse and Toronto when they - hopefully - get there!!)

With most of those a big chance of playing in World Cup squad, plus hopefully Toulouse playing in Championship next year things should be on the up for the national team. Especially with more French Catalans players taking on a senior role and a new crop of youngsters coming through.

I think it will be hard for them to get out of the group.  I'm expecting a very tough Lebanon heritage squad.

Catalans should be exempt from relegation, to avoid such a disaster !! (Ditto Toulouse and Toronto when they - hopefully - get there!!)

The solution is to strengthen the the 2nd tier of British RL.

It increasingly looks like Wigan will spend most of or all of 2017 without O'Loughkin, Mossop, Joel and Sam Tomkins, Clubb and Manfred so I would hope that we'll sign some players. Given the massive unrest at the club they need some exotic names to sell season tickets. Escare and Pellisier would fit the bill. This is a once in a generation level of carnage so ithese signings perhaps signals Wigan's complete desperation as much as a fatal French malaise.

When the Chariman makes announcements at Wigan you know changes are afoot.

It increasingly looks like Wigan will spend most of or all of 2017 without O'Loughkin, Mossop, Joel and Sam Tomkins, Clubb and Manfred so I would hope that we'll sign some players. Given the massive unrest at the club they need some exotic names to sell season tickets. Escare and Pellisier would fit the bill. This is a once in a generation level of carnage so ithese signings perhaps signals Wigan's complete desperation as much as a fatal French malaise.

When the Chariman makes announcements at Wigan you know changes are afoot.

The trouble is he has tried to replace top class players on the cheap over the last few years which has eroded the quality of the squad,I can't see that changing,especially so if Wane remains in charge.

Archived